Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

jumps in 2/1

#1 User is offline   bftboy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-November-04, 11:14

If 1M - 2m - 2M can show a really pretty good hand with 6 card M, then what do or should jumps in the major show? eg, 1 - 2 3, or even 4? thx for advice.

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-November-04, 11:19

3M = I prefer semi-solid / solid suit. "Solid" does not come up enough.

4M = same, but NF, no more than one outside card. Not sure what this is playing Namyats however.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-November-04, 13:06

View PostPhil, on 2010-November-04, 11:19, said:

3M = I prefer semi-solid / solid suit. "Solid" does not come up enough.

You are not kidding.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2010-November-04, 17:24

I don't think the distinction is theoretically important...what's important is that you are on the same wavelength.

i prefer the solid, and its infrequency doesn't bother me at all. I have lots of bids in my arsenal that rarely arise, yet I don't abandon them for that reason. my view is that when they arise, I will be very well placed and in the meantime I have negative inferences when I use another sequence suggesting similar shape or strength.

I like the comfort of responder immediately knowing, over the jump that we have a likely no-loser trump suit opposite xx.....my version of solid is AKQ10xx or better.

A one-loser suit, if buttressed by an extra outside control compared to my minimum jump, would likely be just as playable in terms of permitting responder to explore slam. But those hands don't come up often either, and in the meantime my perhaps selective memory fails to provide any memory of wishing that I could make the weaker-suit jump. For me, this is a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-November-04, 17:57

View Postmikeh, on 2010-November-04, 17:24, said:

I don't think the distinction is theoretically important...what's important is that you are on the same wavelength.

i prefer the solid, and its infrequency doesn't bother me at all. I have lots of bids in my arsenal that rarely arise, yet I don't abandon them for that reason. my view is that when they arise,

Don't agree. In a 2/1 structure, I believe you have to take a lot of pressure off of 1M - 2x - 2M. If we know what trump are, and AQJTxxx certainly qualify, let's set it early and often.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-November-04, 18:56

View PostPhil, on 2010-November-04, 17:57, said:

Don't agree. In a 2/1 structure, I believe you have to take a lot of pressure off of 1M - 2x - 2M. If we know what trump are, and AQJTxxx certainly qualify, let's set it early and often.

I am a self-appointed non expert on 2/1 but it seems to me that 1M 2x; 2M is definitely overloaded in 2/1. IMO overloaded bids are a weakness of the system.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#7 User is offline   bucky 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-04, 19:17

View PostPhil, on 2010-November-04, 17:57, said:

+1

#8 User is offline   andy_h 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2010-November-05, 07:36

My definition for 3M is maximum 1 loser opposite a void and I do agree that solid suit (which was what I used to play) doesn't come up often enough.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.

#9 User is offline   bftboy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-05, 12:02

I agree with the discussion, eg, 3M should show abt 16+ hcp and a suit that will play for one (or no, depending on agreement) losers opposite a void. So, a 2M rebid typically (again, depends on agreement) should show 6 cards in the major, but either suit or hand isn't good enough to rebid 3M.

What should, say, 1 - 2 - 4 look like? maybe AQx, AJ9xxxx, xx, K? That was a hand I caught the other day. thx

#10 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-05, 14:30

View PostCascade, on 2010-November-04, 13:06, said:

You are not kidding.

so what is semi solid I have seen some who are unhappy with AKJT5432 and do not consider it a "solid" suit or how about AKQT432
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-05, 14:52

I don't really understand why you need a solid suit, you just set up trumps, with KQJ109xxx you are gonna play in spades so you tell partner.

Good side suits such as AKJ10xxx should be avoided

#12 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-05, 14:55

View Postpooltuna, on 2010-November-05, 14:30, said:

so what is semi solid I have seen some who are unhappy with AKJT5432 and do not consider it a "solid" suit or how about AKQT432

Just agree on "at least mild extras with strong 6+ suit that should be trump *unless responder has CLEAR better ideas*". Semisolid fits that description, it does not have to be exact, but your suit is too strong/long to tolerate any other strain and should bid something else because you can play in hearts opposite void.

#13 User is offline   MTSummit 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-November-06, 12:03

1M 2m 3M means for me:

trump is decided even if partner has void in my suit. and of course additional strength and slam interest.

1M 2m 4M sounds like a hand with less HCPs than normal open (like 9-10) with a solid 7+ suit

#14 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-November-18, 04:54

nah AKQ 7th is fine, so is AKQJxx. the purists can keep looking for purity, I will try to make my 68% slams :)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#15 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2010-November-18, 06:51

1M (P) 2m (P)
?

Very good question !!!

I would guess, that 3M = 13+ HCP; 6+ card solid suit or K-Q-J-10-x-x.
But except for maybe the fact that 3M is certainly natural, I can not find a real support for that in the BWStandard.

and then using the jump default of BWS 2001:
a. The default interpretation of a bid one level above a strength-showing force is a splinter.
b. The default interpretation of a bid one level above a splinter (e.g., one spade — five diamonds) is Exclusion Key-Card Blackwood. (There are explicit exceptions to this principle.)

4M = Exclusion Key-Card Blackwood

Does this make sense ?

Anyway, looks very much like a vagueness in BWS2001. Could a real BWS expert help us ? Maybe worth a poll ?
Bob Herreman

#16 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-November-18, 07:01

View PostLurpoa, on 2010-November-18, 06:51, said:

Anyway, looks very much like a vagueness in BWS2001. Could a real BWS expert help us ? Maybe worth a poll ?

As I mentioned on BBO, I think you overestimate how much people care about BWS. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#17 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-November-18, 08:06

I'm with Fluffy. I prefer 1M-2m-3M to just set trumps, start cuebidding.

1M-2m-4M doesn't exist because there's no reason to skip the 4-level.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users