BBO Discussion Forums: Climate change - BBO Discussion Forums

• 177 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Climate change a different take on what to do about it.

#481 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-06, 06:59

View Postluke warm, on 2012-July-06, 06:41, said:

this is probably true... in any case, it rings true enough that i'm not going to bother checking it out... however, i don't see what it has to do w/ al's chart, unless the chart itself is fraudulent... the reddish line shows a sea level projection for san fran... do the people making this projection not know about the anomaly of which you speak? if so, why wouldn't they adjust their chart to take that into account?

now if the chart has been monkeyed with, that's a different story

Monkeyed charts....as in the fraudulent MBH hockey-stick you mean? Using upside-down proxies and spliced-on temperature records to hide the decline? (To say nothing of the rest of the statistical shenanigans heretofore described, for which we are still waiting for a pronouncement from our resident statistics teacher.)

Agenda-"science" is all about ad-homs and "neglecting" data and analyses and is never about open discussion (a la Gleick et al) and the real science.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#482 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-06, 07:27

View Postluke warm, on 2012-July-06, 06:41, said:

this is probably true... in any case, it rings true enough that i'm not going to bother checking it out... however, i don't see what it has to do w/ al's chart, unless the chart itself is fraudulent... the reddish line shows a sea level projection for san fran... do the people making this projection not know about the anomaly of which you speak? if so, why wouldn't they adjust their chart to take that into account?

now if the chart has been monkeyed with, that's a different story

What hrothgar is saying is that the blue part of the chart refers to a different thing (specific location) than the red part of the chart (general projection) and it is therefore misleading to put them together - something akin to taking ocean temperatures of the Mediterranean for 160 years and then splicing on temperatures for the Arctic Sea for 20 years to "prove" that sea temperatures are declining. Not exactly but you get the idea. I have not checked this data so I cannot confirm it either way but I do note that AI's response is to attack which is usually a pretty good indicator of not having a good reply (watch your politicians answering questions sometimes for many examples of this!).
(-: Zel :-)

#483 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-July-06, 07:28

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2012-July-06, 06:59, said:

Monkeyed charts....as in the fraudulent MBH hockey-stick you mean? Using upside-down proxies and spliced-on temperature records to hide the decline? (To say nothing of the rest of the statistical shenanigans heretofore described, for which we are still waiting for a pronouncement from our resident statistics teacher.)

Agenda-"science" is all about ad-homs and "neglecting" data and analyses and is never about open discussion (a la Gleick et al) and the real science.

Al, rather than trying to steer the conversation towards a set of imagined grievances, lets focus on something concrete.
You posted a chart which you presumably agree with...

Please explain the methodology being used to project sea level changes in San Francisco Bay...
How were the numbers that YOU PROVIDED TO US arrived at?
Alderaan delenda est

#484 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2012-July-06, 08:13

Considering the "lack" of attention to isostatic adjustments, glacial rebounds and land subsidence in the latest "analysis" of east-coast sea-level rise hot-spots, the data is everywhere to be seen.

Either way, the data for "projected" west-coast SLR (models, models, everywhere)is just that. Over the last century,
global rates of rise during the late Holocene have been steady and have even been decelerating lately. (By satellite measurement and by tide gauge.) Regional and local rates are, understandably, variable. Do we need to go into detail? (There is way more than what is in this thread already.)
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#485 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-July-06, 08:17

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2012-July-06, 08:13, said:

Considering the "lack" of attention to isostatic adjustments, glacial rebounds and land subsidence in the latest "analysis" of east-coast sea-level rise hot-spots, the data is everywhere to be seen.

Either way, the data for "projected" west-coast SLR (models, models, everywhere)is just that. Over the last century,
global rates of rise during the late Holocene have been steady and have even been decelerating lately. (By satellite measurement and by tide gauge.) Regional and local rates are, understandably, variable. Do we need to go into detail? (There is way more than what is in this thread already.)

You are the one who proudly posted a completely misleading graphic which failed to deal with just these issues.

So, I'd say "Yes", it is important to consider these sorts things...
(It's how we point out that your claims are full of shiite)
Alderaan delenda est

#486 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-06, 08:19

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2012-July-06, 08:13, said:

Do we need to go into detail?

Actually yes. If you compare apples with oranges and make the claim that this is significant then there is a burden of proof from you to demonstrate why this is so. It seems we have established that the blue and red parts of the graph really do refer to two separate things - why are they comparable? And why is the result significant?
(-: Zel :-)

#487 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-July-06, 08:44

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-July-06, 06:24, said:

labeling the source as a ***** seems only right and proper.

I was with you, in principle, right up to here. Wtf does "*****" mean? I suppose any five letter word will do. How about grape? Al U Card is a grape.

Kindly have the balls to say what you mean.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#488 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-July-06, 08:51

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-July-06, 08:44, said:

I was with you, in principle, right up to here. Wtf does "*****" mean? I suppose any five letter word will do. How about grape? Al U Card is a grape.

Kindly have the balls to say what you mean.

I originally typed shiitehead (minus one i), however, the forum software automatically substitutes ***** for objectionable terms
Alderaan delenda est

#489 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-July-06, 08:56

Ah. My apologies, then. I've since seen that you wrote "shiite" in another message, and wondered why you misspelled it, or if you were talking about Muslims of a certain persuasion. B-)
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#490 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-July-07, 06:45

I was actually miss-spelling "shyte"
Alderaan delenda est

#491 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-July-07, 19:27

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-July-07, 06:45, said:

I was actually miss-spelling "shyte"

An alternative spelling with which I was not familiar. Heh. The urban dictionary says of "shyte" (the other spelling) "just like <its four letter synonym>, but more fun to say". :P
--------------------

#492 User is online   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-July-24, 11:19

Interesting piece by Bill McKibben in Rolling Stone about global warming: Three simple numbers that add up to global catastrophe

All told, 167 countries responsible for more than 87 percent of the world's carbon emissions have signed on to the Copenhagen Accord, endorsing the two-degree target. Only a few dozen countries have rejected it, including Kuwait, Nicaragua and Venezuela. Even the United Arab Emirates, which makes most of its money exporting oil and gas, signed on. The official position of planet Earth at the moment is that we can't raise the temperature more than two degrees Celsius – it's become the bottomest of bottom lines. Two degrees.

Scientists estimate that humans can pour roughly 565 more gigatons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere by midcentury and still have some reasonable hope of saying below two degrees. ("Reasonable," in this case, means four chances in five, or somewhat worse odds than playing Russian roulette with a six-shooter.)

This idea of a global "carbon budget" emerged about a decade ago, as scientists began to calculate how much oil, coal and gas could still safely be burned. Since we've increased the Earth's temperature by 0.8 degrees so far, we're currently less than halfway to the target. But, in fact, computer models calculate that even if we stopped increasing CO2 now, the temperature would likely still rise another 0.8 degrees, as previously released carbon continues to overheat the atmosphere. That means we're already three-quarters of the way to the two-degree target.

How good are these numbers? No one is insisting that they're exact, but few dispute that they're generally right. The 565-gigaton figure was derived from one of the most sophisticated computer-simulation models that have been built by climate scientists around the world over the past few decades. And the number is being further confirmed by the latest climate-simulation models currently being finalized in advance of the next report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. "Looking at them as they come in, they hardly differ at all," says Tom Wigley, an Australian climatologist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research. "There's maybe 40 models in the data set now, compared with 20 before. But so far the numbers are pretty much the same. We're just fine-tuning things. I don't think much has changed over the last decade."

Okay, we have a 565-gigaton budget of CO2 to reach the two-degree increase. How much over that are we planning to spend?

The Third Number: 2,795 Gigatons

This number describes the amount of carbon already contained in the proven coal and oil and gas reserves of the fossil-fuel companies, and the countries (think Venezuela or Kuwait) that act like fossil-fuel companies. In short, it's the fossil fuel we're currently planning to burn. And the key point is that this new number – 2,795 – is higher than 565. Five times higher.

A serious mismatch.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#493 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2012-July-24, 11:24

whatever... just dump some iron, problem solved... this could get approval from both sides if truckloads of money were dumped at the same time, to make up for the loss of carbon taxes
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#494 User is offline   Daniel1960 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-24, 12:56

Passedout,

While the 2C number is a good starting point, it is somewhat arbitrary. Temperatures have risen ~0.8C, but that is from the depth of the Little Ice Age, which was ~1.2C colder than the height of the Medieval Warm Period, which was at least 0.5C cooler than the Holocene maximum. Thus, a 2C increase from the end of the LIA puts at near the peak of the climate optimum. According to ice data, the recent climate optimum was a full degree colder then the previous interglacial high. Who is to say that if temperatures rise another 1.2C, and we reach a climate similar to the Holocene climate optimum, that that is the preferred climate.

Also, what is the catastrophy that is supposed to occur? Temperatures have risen and fallen multiple times in the past. Most "catastophies" have occurred when the temperatures have fallen. Historically, civilization has thrived during times of warmer climate; the Roman and Minoan warm periods saw the expanse of the so-named civilizations. Contrast that with periods of global cooling; the Little Ice Age, the Dark Ages, the Migration of Nations, etc.

Whilw I do not agree that a catastrophy will occur if global temperatures rise another 1.2C, I would prefer we do not find out. At the present rate (0.6C / century), we would exceed that number near the beginning of the 23rd century. Hopefully, by then we will have moved far beyond carbon-based fuels for energy.

#495 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-July-24, 14:10

View Postluke warm, on 2012-July-24, 11:24, said:

whatever... just dump some iron, problem solved... this could get approval from both sides if truckloads of money were dumped at the same time, to make up for the loss of carbon taxes

Would this be a quote from the same article?

The ocean's capacity for carbon sequestration in low-iron regions is just a fraction of anthropogenic CO2 emissions, and such sequestration is not permanent — it lasts only for decades to centuries

Alderaan delenda est

#496 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-24, 14:33

View PostDaniel1960, on 2012-July-24, 12:56, said:

Passedout,

While the 2C number is a good starting point, it is somewhat arbitrary. Temperatures have risen ~0.8C, but that is from the depth of the Little Ice Age, which was ~1.2C colder than the height of the Medieval Warm Period, which was at least 0.5C cooler than the Holocene maximum. Thus, a 2C increase from the end of the LIA puts at near the peak of the climate optimum. According to ice data, the recent climate optimum was a full degree colder then the previous interglacial high. Who is to say that if temperatures rise another 1.2C, and we reach a climate similar to the Holocene climate optimum, that that is the preferred climate.

Also, what is the catastrophy that is supposed to occur? Temperatures have risen and fallen multiple times in the past. Most "catastophies" have occurred when the temperatures have fallen. Historically, civilization has thrived during times of warmer climate; the Roman and Minoan warm periods saw the expanse of the so-named civilizations. Contrast that with periods of global cooling; the Little Ice Age, the Dark Ages, the Migration of Nations, etc.

Whilw I do not agree that a catastrophy will occur if global temperatures rise another 1.2C, I would prefer we do not find out. At the present rate (0.6C / century), we would exceed that number near the beginning of the 23rd century. Hopefully, by then we will have moved far beyond carbon-based fuels for energy.

On the timescale of millennia, ecologies are fluid, on the scale of decades they are not. This is the catastrophe. Look what the baking heat in the USA is doing to the price of corn. Sure, humans can probably move, but its not so easy to uproot a forest and move it a few hundred miles northwards.

Also, dumping iron into the ocean to feed algea to capture carbon seems like a terrible idea. We just have no idea what the likely effects will be. Perhaps it will just lead to lots more sperm whales eating all the algae. Messing with ecosystems in teh past has universally turned out badly. While there are plenty of people saying "this time we know more" and "this time will be different because we understand" I am almost entirely sceptical of those claims.

The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#497 User is online   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-July-24, 21:47

View Postluke warm, on 2012-July-24, 11:24, said:

whatever... just dump some iron, problem solved...

Nope.

Smetacek said ocean iron fertilization could bury at most 1 gigaton of CO2 per year compared to annual emissions of 8-9 gigaton, of which 4 gigaton accumulates in the atmosphere.

The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#498 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2012-July-24, 23:01

I still have difficulty understanding the motivation of the skeptic. Skepticism is an important part of the scientific process, but scientific skepticism is not blanket skepticism and it leads to thorough investigation, and along with it follows the necessity to alter positions if evidence so demands.

The AGW skeptic does not seem to be use skepticism to gain knowledge or solve problems, but instead seems to simply be taking an opposition side - but opposing what? What exactly is the AGW skeptic so dead-set against?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#499 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2012-July-25, 02:16

View PostWinstonm, on 2012-July-24, 23:01, said:

Skepticism is an important part of the scientific process[....]What exactly is the AGW skeptic so dead-set against?

You use the word "Skeptic" in two different meanings.

I wonder how the use of the word "skeptic" in the meaning of outright opposition/disbelief came into common use. Over here, a "euro-skeptic" is not someone who is skeptical towards the EU, but someone who is outright against it.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#500 User is offline   Daniel1960 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-25, 05:00

Helene,

Interesting development. In the U.S. a skeptic is not necessarily someone opposed to the AGW theory, but rather one who has not been convinced of its validity. While the basic premise of CO2-induced warming is generally accepted (based on physics), the enhanced feedback loops presented by those promoting the theory are not. Hence, most skeptics are willing to accept that increased atmospheric levels of CO2 will lead to some warming, the catastrophic scenario presented earlier is not. Many skeptics are basing their acceptance on scientific data and observations, while many warmists are relying on models to come to their conclusions. As long as the observations and models differ, we will have a difference. If the data and observations start to match the proposed models, then I suspect most of the "skeptics" will accept the theory.

• 177 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users