BBO Discussion Forums: Playing the weak NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Playing the weak NT How to continue after 1x-1y-1NT-?

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2010-November-08, 17:13

I suppose that if you're playing the weak NT you can keep your checkback structure, whether it'd be normal checkback (2), New Minor Forcing or two-way checkback, right?

Or is there some standard in those situations?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-08, 18:38

There are some regional differences but I don't see a strong reason you should use a different checkback structure depending on notrump range.

One observation though is that there's a style where you bypass spades after 1m-1 in order to rebid 1NT on balanced hands. This style has its strengths and weaknesses overall, but it's much more effective when the 1NT rebid would be strong, because right-siding becomes more important, because you are less likely to miss a spade fit (partner more frequently has the cards to bid over the 1NT), and because you will have fewer problem auctions later (i.e. whether to try for game after 1m-1-1-1NT when you have a balanced 16-17).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-November-08, 20:26

View Postawm, on 2010-November-08, 18:38, said:

There are some regional differences but I don't see a strong reason you should use a different checkback structure depending on notrump range.

One observation though is that there's a style where you bypass spades after 1m-1 in order to rebid 1NT on balanced hands. This style has its strengths and weaknesses overall, but it's much more effective when the 1NT rebid would be strong, because right-siding becomes more important, because you are less likely to miss a spade fit (partner more frequently has the cards to bid over the 1NT), and because you will have fewer problem auctions later (i.e. whether to try for game after 1m-1-1-1NT when you have a balanced 16-17).

Agree 100%--a fine analysis.

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-09, 01:32

Hi,

You can play your old checkback structure, but a checkback structure designed for
a weak NT rebid will loose some of its efficency, if one uses it after a strong NT
rebid.
After a weak NT rebid the share of responding hands, that want to play in a suit
on the 2 level is greater, than the of responding hands after a strong NT rebid. (*)

If the loss is significant for you, is up to you.

We have been playing the weak NT now for more than a year, and fairly fast we
modified openers rebids, in fact we agreed to replace an old meaning yesterday.

Playing the weak NT allowes you free up certain sequences, e.g. the 2NT rebid can now
be used to handle the "Bridge World Dead Hand" by making the NT rebid more wideranging.
Due to (*) you have more room to handle the add. complexity of a more wide ranging NT
rebid, putting by passed majors in the NT rebid (as described by awn) is a similar
approach, this speeds up openers hand description process.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-09, 03:31

There's less point to two-way Checkback if you don't bypass diamonds to bid a major, and if you agree only to bypass on hands too weak to make a move over a 1NT rebid (which is a reasonable thing to do) then you will have far fewer of those hands when your 1NT rebid is strong.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users