BBO Discussion Forums: Re: BridgeBase Forums Terms of Service - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Re: BridgeBase Forums Terms of Service ...since the other thread is locked...

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-October-30, 12:59

Hi,

1. You will not engage in conduct or post any material that is [...] or otherwise in violation of ANY law.

Does this mean I am not allowed to make negative comments about the Beloved Leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, or to encourage women to show their hair in public? Please clarify.

1. Keep posts on-topic and in the correct boards. We will move/delete threads that are in an improper place. This makes it easier for people to find the information they want.

Uhhuh... I am looking forward to this...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   kevlarsen 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:all types of board and card games including Scrabble, Othello, chess, checkers, go

Posted 2010-October-31, 23:38

View Postmgoetze, on 2010-October-30, 12:59, said:

Hi,

Quote: (of terms of service)
1. You will not engage in conduct or post any material that is [...] or otherwise in violation of ANY law.

Does this mean I am not allowed to make negative comments about the Beloved Leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, or to encourage women to show their hair in public? Please clarify.

True, maybe they should get the lawyers out and make it all legalese. "you may not break any law of US or international law"

Maybe they should get really specific and polite "Please no terrorism in the forums."

I don't know. The fact that every forum on the planet has to have terms of service that say "Don't be rude." is a kind of commentary of its own.
Kevin Larsen
Posted Image

Learning Bridge Spot

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-01, 00:12

I think that is correct - it would be in breach of the second quote that you mentioned.

BTW, congratulations on your elevation to a reputation of "1".
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-01, 01:51

View Post1eyedjack, on 2010-November-01, 00:12, said:

I think that is correct - it would be in breach of the second quote that you mentioned.

Well, I could encourage women to show their hair at bridge tournaments in the "Offline Bridge" forum. Talk of the Beloved Leader would have to be restricted to the "Water Cooler", but I assume the same rules apply there.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-01, 02:00

Need to be a bit careful. Fred may get an invite to play in the Pyongyang Bowl, and we wouldn't want him disappearing without trace when he gets there.

BTW, commiserations on your relegation of reputation back to "0". Welcome to the great unwashed.
[EDIT] Oh, I think I see - it looks like the reputation thing is on a post by post basis
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-01, 02:15

View Post1eyedjack, on 2010-November-01, 02:00, said:

BTW, commiserations on your relegation of reputation back to "0". Welcome to the great unwashed.
[EDIT] Oh, I think I see - it looks like the reputation thing is on a post by post basis

In a player's profile you can see someone's total reputation, i.e. the sum from all their posts. Mine is actually 2 right now, but I can't figure out which other post of mine has been upvoted. It would be nice if one could search for posts by the number of positive votes they've attained.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   kevlarsen 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:all types of board and card games including Scrabble, Othello, chess, checkers, go

Posted 2010-November-01, 15:54

View Postmgoetze, on 2010-November-01, 02:15, said:

In a player's profile you can see someone's total reputation, i.e. the sum from all their posts. Mine is actually 2 right now, but I can't figure out which other post of mine has been upvoted. It would be nice if one could search for posts by the number of positive votes they've attained.

Wow, I didn't realize giving the +1 to that post was such a huge thing. I'm used to YouTube and Digg where people +1 and thumbs up all the time. It definitely deserved the +1 though. Cheers.

Kevin
Kevin Larsen
Posted Image

Learning Bridge Spot

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-20, 06:53

Hi,

I am still waiting for an answer on this.

1. Keep posts on-topic and in the correct boards. We will move/delete threads that are in an improper place. This makes it easier for people to find the information they want.

Uhhuh... I am looking forward to this...

I am starting to disbelieve this.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-20, 17:58

View Postkevlarsen, on 2010-October-31, 23:38, said:

True, maybe they should get the lawyers out and make it all legalese. "you may not break any law of US or international law"

Maybe they should get really specific and polite "Please no terrorism in the forums."

I don't know. The fact that every forum on the planet has to have terms of service that say "Don't be rude." is a kind of commentary of its own.

Given what a load of garbage laws is on the US law statutes, that is still a tough task to follow. Some US laws make you follow foreign laws which have been repealed in their home country such as you import from Honduras- you must supply in cardboard boxes. Some fishermen got jailed for 3 years for breaching that law.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users