• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO on Iphone or Ipad? The use of BBO on apple device

#1 User is offline   docjoe 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-September-28, 11:08

Unfortunately Iphone or IPAD don't support flash player so is impossible use BBO on this hardware, but it'll be great to do so!
Any people from technical support has an idea how it will be possible?

Thanks
Emilio

#2 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2010-September-28, 12:19

Or on Android...

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2010-September-28, 13:29

docjoe, on Sep 28 2010, 12:08 PM, said:

Any people from technical support has an idea how it will be possible?

Thanks
Emilio

In theory you can jail-break an Ipad and then install Flash on it. You can "restore original settings" to go back to pre-jail break status.

Having said that, I have no idea if that actually works, because I don't know if it works. If you have an ipad and willing to try jail break, I would be interested in the results. I would consider an ipad if that works.

Note: I am not a technical person.... :)
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   docjoe 

• Pip

Posted 2010-September-30, 11:12

UHMM Could be a good idea. I haven't an ipad at the moment but i'll have in a short period ...so i'll try.
Thanks

#5 User is offline   FrankHare 

• Pip

Posted 2010-October-26, 11:43

I hope BBO can develop an app for iphone/ipad (iOS) so that we can install it and play BBO without flash/web browser.

#6 User is offline   docjoe 

• Pip

Posted 2010-October-26, 12:02

...but unfortunately since i ask the question nobody from the BBO software members answered in positive or negative. FREDDDDD give us some news! :lol:

#7 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-26, 13:15

View Postdocjoe, on 2010-October-26, 12:02, said:

...but unfortunately since i ask the question nobody from the BBO software members answered in positive or negative. FREDDDDD give us some news! :lol:

I have already posted several responses to similar inquiries in other threads. My standard answer looks something like this:

If Apple remains one of the market leaders in this space, it is likely that there will eventually be a way for people to play on BBO through their iPhones and iPads. Currently we have no concrete plans to do anything about this and I am not in a position to predict when we might make such plans or, once we do, how long in might take to execute such plans.

Apple might be able to speed things up if they change some of their (absurd IMO) policies. There have recently been some signs that this might actually happen.

As usual, we have a lot of things on our collective plates. Given that there is serious uncertainty in terms of how things are going to play out in this market (including with respect to whether or not Apple devices will remain popular or if they will go the way of the Mac), we are currently unwilling to commit the necessary resources to an Apple-specific project (sorry).

Our position on these matters could change at any time (but please don't bother trying to convince me to shift gears - I do not want to get involved in a discussion about this).

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#8 User is offline   jamegumb 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-December-01, 17:04

I admittedly have little idea how these things work, but would it be possible to get BBO to work with this iSwifter thing? See article below:

http://venturebeat.c...pples-approval/

It looks like iSwifter hosts a certain number of flash games that it then allows to be accessed in an html browser. Could it do the same for BBO?

#9 User is offline   suokko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:*dreaming*

Posted 2010-December-09, 12:22

Even if there was flash support flash is horrible slow on ARM and inteface is not the best for touch screen. You can actually run bbo in N900 but it is slow and hard to touch anything correctly in screen because of size.

#10 User is offline   bridgegsh 

• Pip

Posted 2010-December-20, 12:38

Has anyone tried "iBridgeOnline Free" for iPhone/iPad ?

#11 User is offline   Casamaria 

• Pip

Posted 2010-December-28, 08:24

Father Xmas gave me an Ipad and I'm so sad I can´t load BBO. I hope that as soon as Apple agrees to let us play BBO bridge in their IPads you will send me a message so I will open again my Ipad!!! I wont load Baron's bridge, I am a BBO fan!!! Happy 2011, Casamaria

#12 User is offline   Dwingo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-06, 01:16

Has anyone tried Skyfire on Ipad?
Skyfire

This appears to circumvent the Flash problem with Ipad & Iphone.
Bridge Players do it with Finesse

#13 User is offline   jamegumb 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-06, 10:50

I tried Skyfire two nights ago without success; I didn't look into it much more than "this doesn't work" that night, but just now noted Skyfire's FAQ which states "No. Our focus is on enabling video playback. Currently we have no plans to enable Flash games and applications." -- http://www.skyfire.c...e-faq-for-ipad/

I also tried Cloud Browser ($.99), which *does* work, but is slow and doesn't let you resize, so the BBO screen doesn't all fit and needs to constantly be moved around. I think Cloud Browser works by them hosting your internet session and letting you view it, so any typing you do (say, entering your user name and password) is theoretically hackable by your host. Also, unless you pay even more, the sessions are limited in time; I didn't look at how much these plans cost as it didn't seem like a viable solution.

#14 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-07, 14:41

Here is how I have worked around this.
1. if you have windows running on a computer set up remote desktop access
2. if you have wireless router, which you will need
have port 3389 set to redirect to the computer running windows
3.on the ipad
download a progarm like jump desktop
set up a RDP not vpn, access

best to now use the same log in and password as your windows machine, and use port 3389

so now on ipad use Jump desktop to log on to your machine(windows)
now you can use BBO from there

now the last piece of the puzzle and most important part------------
get an IPAD Stylus for about $9
it really makes a difference on bidding and clicking on cards

if anyone needs help on setting us mstsc.exe(remote desktop) you can msg me or email me

it definetely alot better than using your finger

#15 User is offline   northwhite 

• Pip

Posted 2011-January-12, 08:28

My little one just started learning bridge thru a school program, it would be really nice if he could play BBO by using his iPod (and I can play with him on my iPhone :-) Kids these days are more attractive and accessible to gadgets (iPod, portable game console, smarphone, ...) than to a real computer.

As a software designer myself, I'm full aware of the debate related to Flash technology. But it is just one of means to program a game interface, it'll be a shame to let it be the hinder to prevent BBO (a great site IMO) from reaching and appealing to more audience, especially kids and young people.

One suggestion to BBO would be to make it online play open by defining an open interface and leave presentation out to whoever want to implement the user interface on their own gadgets.

#16 User is offline   sallyla 

• Pip

Posted 2011-January-27, 21:55

I recently purchased an app for the ipad called "always on pc" and basically it links the ipad with my pc so I am able to play bridge on it. I was skeptical because the app costs $25 but I am able to play. It's a little difficult to specify which playing card you want to play but it's better than nothing. It of course does require wireless. As someone else said, a stylus does help.

Also James at support at alwaysonpc sent me this note:

Thanks for your question. BridgeBase is one of the sites we've tested and it works with AlwaysOnPC on the iPad. To see a video demo go to http://blog.alwayson...from-your-ipad. You can also sign up for our free trial at www.alwaysonpc.com and test out the functionality and features on your PC or Mac.

PS I also tried Skyfire and it did not work

#17 User is offline   Grimstad 

• Pip

Posted 2011-March-02, 16:34

I wonder what is meant by "go the way of the Mac" in Mr. Gitelman's answer. Did Apple stop selling Macs? Perhaps this has something to do with Microsoft's ownership of BBO. In that case, I do not expect a Flash work-around regardless of iPad popularity, though it does open new opportunities for other on-line bridge sites.

#18 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-02, 17:48

View PostGrimstad, on 2011-March-02, 16:34, said:

I wonder what is meant by "go the way of the Mac" in Mr. Gitelman's answer.

I meant excellent product with relatively small market share.

And please feel free to call me "Fred" :)

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#19 User is offline   A_Wolff 

• Pip

Posted 2011-March-28, 09:05

IF BBO just replaces the flash interface to the screen by html5 code, it will be possible to play on-line bridge with BBO on a IPAD and any other device which supports modern browsers like Internet Explorer 9, Safari, Firefox etc.

#20 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-March-28, 10:33

View PostA_Wolff, on 2011-March-28, 09:05, said:

IF BBO just replaces the flash interface to the screen by html5 code, it will be possible to play on-line bridge with BBO on a IPAD and any other device which supports modern browsers like Internet Explorer 9, Safari, Firefox etc.

If apple just supported Flash, BBO bridge could be played on apple devices just like any other modern device that supports Flash like PC;s, mac's, xoom, galaxy Tab, etc. :rolleyes:
--Ben--

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users