Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bruised bridge psyche heads for law courts

#1 User is offline   pdmunro 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-September-09, 05:31

Bridge player with damaged psyche heads for the Queensland Supreme Court: "denied natural justice"
Peter . . . . AKQ . . . . K = 3 points = 1 trick
"Of course wishes everybody to win and play as good as possible, but it is a hobby and a game, not war." 42 (BBO Forums)
"If a man speaks in the forest and there are no women around to hear is he still wrong?" anon
"Politics: an inadequate substitute for bridge." John Maynard Keynes
"This is how Europe works, it dithers, it delays, it makes cowardly small steps towards the truth and at some point that which it has admonished as impossible it embraces as inevitable." Athens University economist Yanis Varoufakis
"Krypt3ia @ Craig, dude, don't even get me started on you. You have posted so far two articles that I and others have found patently clueless. So please, step away from the keyboard before you hurt yourself." Comment on infosecisland.com
"Doing is the real hard part" Emma Coats (formerly from Pixar)
"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again." Oscar Wilde
"Assessment, far more than religion, has become the opiate of the people" Patricia Broadfoot, Uni of Gloucestershire, UK

#2 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-September-09, 06:41

I couldn't get that link to work, but after a bit of googling I think I've found the relevant article here.

Cairns bridge club court action
Gavin King
Thursday, September 9, 2010
© The Cairns Post

The usually sedate sport of bridge is being taken all the way to the Supreme Court over allegations of score tampering.

One of the city's champion players is suing the Cairns Bridge Club over accusations he had tampered with scores.

[edited by uday, concerned about pasting full articles.]. Original full article here:

Original story
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-09, 07:33

I read it all but I couldn't understand who cheated with the scores, and who was damaged.

#4 User is offline   W Kovacs 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-09, 08:20

Fluffy, on Sep 9 2010, 08:33 AM, said:

I read it all but I couldn't understand who cheated with the scores, and who was damaged.

It sounds like it was Ken Miller, from what I read.

Here's what I got: the club suspected some tampering of scores had been going on. They hired a computer expert to show how easy scores could be tampered with. They also hired a second expert to find proof that external hacking had taken place.

When the results of both investigations turned up positive, this Ken Miller (the club champion) was shown the door. So Ken got mad and turned around to sue. The article doesn't mention whether any of the evidence pointed to Mr Miller's guilt, either conclusively or circumstantially. I'd imagine his scores were the ones tampered with.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-September-09, 22:46

I like this quote:

"I'm a grandmaster of bridge, I've sat on the Australian Bridge Federation board and represented the Northern Territory in bridge competitions about 13 times.
He'd hardly be the first player if this caliber accused of cheating. Need I mention the recent controversy over a past ACBL president?

#6 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2010-September-10, 01:02

;) Speaking as a Texan who has visited Cairns, the lovely gateway to the Great Barrier Reef, I can tell you that it is a nice relatively small town with all the usual conveniences associated with first world civilization. What is different is that its northernmost traffic light is the last one for the next 1000 miles. Perhaps, the unusual environment helped shape the participants' actions.

#7 User is offline   PeterGill 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-10, 04:15

I would assume innocence until proven guilty.

Session scores from the club are available online, e.g.
http://www.cairnsbridgeclub.org.au/showRes...sults/2010/0215.

Being IMO the best player at the club in question (except IMO for the rare occasions when Trevor plays at the club), it is no surprise to me that Ken would win there a lot. That can create jealousy. I wonder what the outcome will be.
I live thousands of miles south of Cairns, by the way.

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2010-September-10, 07:59

It seems, in the opinion of the membership of the Cairns Bridge Club, that Mr. Miller has already been found guilty. That finding is the only justification for termination of his membership in the club.

Mr. Miller is following the route previously tread by many who were found guilty of misconduct by duly empowered bridge organizations - file suit. His action is a civil action, not a criminal action, so it is not a matter of guilt or innocence. It is a matter of defamation, and whether the club was justified in the actions that it took.

I can only hope that the actions that the club took were based on the facts of the case, in which case the court should find for the club. If it is found that the club acted for reasons other than the facts of the case, the court should find for Mr. Miller.

#9 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-10, 08:56

I get the feeling that accusations of cheating often are made when the accusers already have a beef with the accused, about other things, whether they say so or not. Is this case one such? I wonder.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users