Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chat box not working

#1 User is offline   jgreeder 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-August-30, 14:48

Hi - I wonder if anyone else has had this problem? I can log in and play fine but most (but not all) of the time I can't use the chatline. This makes me look really quite grumpy!!

I run an Apple iMac using Safari and OS X 10.5.8. I have tried contacting BBO technical support but they don't seem to realise what I mean and keep telling me to 'Click Table' - I know that!!

Sometimes the chat line works fine but usually not.

Mike

#2 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-August-30, 14:54

If you can please try to describe the details of the symptoms, I will try to help.

I need to know exactly what you are doing and exactly what you see happening.

Thanks,

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#3 User is offline   jgreeder 

• Pip

Posted 2010-August-30, 15:05

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I log in using the web based program and have no problem with access etc. However, when I come to play and want to chat, the cursor blinks in the chat line and Table -> shows next to it. When I type though, the cursor just keeps blinking and doesn't move. Similarly if I try to talk to my partner using his '"Box" (containing name, system etc. and with a Chat section) the same thing happens. If I hit the Return key I get the message in Yellow saying 'Please type in chat before hitting return key".

I hope this explains it.

I don't think it is a hardware issue as my keyboard is less than a year old and works fine for everything else including checking hands played by me or others on the Links page.

best regards

Mike

#4 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-30, 16:53

jgreeder, on Aug 30 2010, 09:05 PM, said:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I log in using the web based program and have no problem with access etc. However, when I come to play and want to chat, the cursor blinks in the chat line and Table -> shows next to it. When I type though, the cursor just keeps blinking and doesn't move. Similarly if I try to talk to my partner using his '"Box" (containing name, system etc. and with a Chat section) the same thing happens. If I hit the Return key I get the message in Yellow saying 'Please type in chat before hitting return key".

I hope this explains it.

I don't think it is a hardware issue as my keyboard is less than a year old and works fine for everything else including checking hands played by me or others on the Links page.

best regards

Mike

Thanks for the quick and detailed explanation, Mike. So far I am at a loss to explain what is going on, but I will continue to investigate and try to fix this as soon as possible (which unfortunately does not necessarily mean it will necessarily be "soon").

Is your computer's system language set to something other than English? If you are not sure and if you are a native English speaker (sounds like it!) then the answer is probably "no".

I am also wondering if, when you are in this state, if you can successfully type in other areas of the program (for example, try editing your profile by clicking on the square containing your BBO user ID in the very top right corner of the web-client).

One more question for now: if you start a brand new BBO session in a new browser window and, after you log in, immediately try to type in the chat area (without clicking anywhere else first) does the text you type appear?

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#5 User is offline   jgreeder 

• Pip

Posted 2010-August-31, 02:28

Hi Fred

Yes, i am a native English speaker with browser set for English. Today I logged in and found that I could chat!! So can't answer the other questions yet.

What I did find (and it reminded me of a problem I have had recently) is that when I click on the Play Bridge now link, only half the log-in page loads. I only get the top half of the page and it is shifted down a bit - the rest of my screen is blank. I can see enough of the log-in button to click it and go into the site but when I get there, I still only have half a page.

Maybe it is some issue with my version of the software you use to run the site??

Best regards

Mike

#6 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-31, 08:44

If you could send me a screenshot by e-mail (to fred@bridgebase.com) of what you see when your screen is in the weird state you describe in your most recent post, that would be helpful.

Please make sure you access the BBO web-client from the yellow "Play bridge now" link on our home page (www.bridgebase.com). If you do that you will ensure that you pick up the latest version of our software.

But it is starting to sound like something is not quite right with your computer. The reason I say this is that you have now reported two highly-unusual issues in frequently-used aspects of the software that (to the best of my knowledge at least) nobody else has ever reported before. If these issues were really bugs in the web-client, it is all but certain I would have heard about them over and over again - many 1000s of people use the web-client every day.

Some things to check:

- if you leave your computer on all the time, try restarting it
- make sure you have the latest version of Safari installed
- make sure you have the latest version of Flash Player installed

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#7 User is offline   beagle2 

• Pip

Posted 2010-September-18, 16:05

Like Mike, I am also a Mac user and cannot chat sometimes. If I leave the game and go to a new one, chat is restored. I also get the half page log at times. Any help would be appreciated. Pat

#8 User is offline   Tcyk 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-September-19, 07:56

I also have a problem when using the web-based program and I believe it is related to chat. I run Vista Home Edition on a dual-core quad-processor machine. I contacted BBO help and they gave me some useful suggestions but none of them worked. I believe the problem always occurs when I am typing in chat. The computer locks up and I can do nothing. I have to give it the three-finger salute (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) to leave the program.

This happened recently when I was playing in a tournament. I was able to log back on using the software program before I was booted from the tournament. Because of this problem I feel that I can not use the Flash version.

Chrles

#9 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-21, 07:26

beagle2, on Sep 18 2010, 10:05 PM, said:

Like Mike, I am also a Mac user and cannot chat sometimes. If I leave the game and go to a new one, chat is restored. I also get the half page log at times. Any help would be appreciated. Pat

In order for us to try to address the half-page problem, it would really help for me to receive a picture (ie a screen shot) of what you are seeing. If anyone who has experienced this problem can e-mail a screen shot to fred@bridgebase.com it would be much appreciated.

I am investigating the can't-chat problem.

For those who have experienced either of these problem (both of which, to the best of my knowledge, happen only on Macs), it would be helpful to know:

1) What browser are you using?
2) Can you try a different browser and let me know if you experience the same problem?
3) What version of Flash is installed on your Mac? You can find this out by clicking on this link.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#10 User is offline   susarge 

• Pip

Posted 2018-June-17, 11:03

fred, on 2010-September-21, 07:26, said:

In order for us to try to address the half-page problem, it would really help for me to receive a picture (ie a screen shot) of what you are seeing. If anyone who has experienced this problem can e-mail a screen shot to fred@bridgebase.com it would be much appreciated.

I am investigating the can't-chat problem.

For those who have experienced either of these problem (both of which, to the best of my knowledge, happen only on Macs), it would be helpful to know:

1) What browser are you using?
2) Can you try a different browser and let me know if you experience the same problem?
3) What version of Flash is installed on your Mac? You can find this out by clicking on this link.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#11 User is offline   susarge 

• Pip

Posted 2018-June-17, 11:06

Fred -- if you still there (it now being 2018) I am now having a similar problem as that described in these old notes. I can sign on and play fine but the box for inputting "chat" is not there. I am running Windows 10 and access BBO through Google browser. I tried using a Yahoo browser but same problem resulted. I've shut down and restarted an problems persists. I can see everybody else "chat" but can'[t enter my own. Appreciate any help you can give........Sue

#12 User is offline   Skipper14 

• Pip

Posted 2020-August-06, 13:56

I am using google chrome and when I sit-in on a game I cannot get the chat box. Seems as if I need to make the screen smaller but have tried without success. Any help please.

#13 User is offline   vacb238923 

• Pip

Posted 2021-December-03, 13:52

Since I upgraded to Windows 11 Speak Chat no longer works with Microsoft Edge. I have sounds for Shuffle Cards, Card Played. Google Chrome works fine. I have reported the issue to BBO without much luck.

#14 User is offline   DAP92705 

• Pip

Posted 2023-May-28, 19:20

5-28-2023
For three weeks, my chatline has been missing. I cannot chat. I can see other players' comments. I use Google Chrome on Windows 10. I've had no problems until this month. I have moved the double grey lines but that makes no difference. I've checked my profile and don't see any problem. Can you help? Thanks,

DAP92705

#15 User is offline   nicupiticu 

• Pip

Posted 2023-September-04, 13:33

When I log in my chat box is gray, like is not activated.
I cannot write.... except if the blue "reply" shows up

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users