• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

About TD in BBO

#1 User is offline   kaigor 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-May-18, 22:26

Sorry if you think I am asking a silly question since I don't quite know much about BBO...
I want to ask that how can I become a TD in BBO?? :blink:
Is that I need to join any private club or what should be required??
Thanks a lot!!! :)

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-May-19, 00:19

Hi Kaigor, welcome to the Forums.

To become a BBO TD you have to write an email to support@bridgebase.com and ask permission to host tournaments.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-19, 10:44

And once you get permission, see http://www.bridgebas...tournament.html for how to create tournaments using the web version of BBO.

#4 User is offline   kaigor 

• Pip

Posted 2012-May-22, 07:42

thx! :lol:
Can I ask what is the basic requirement of a TD??
For example how many years old, how long have I been playing bridge...etc? :blink:

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-May-22, 07:54

View Postkaigor, on 2012-May-22, 07:42, said:

thx! :lol:
Can I ask what is the basic requirement of a TD??
For example how many years old, how long have I been playing bridge...etc? :blink:

The only requirement I am aware of is a clean record on bbo. That is, no known history of abusive action.

Once you get the power of being a TD, don't abuse it or you will lose it. Things like scheduling a TD and then not showing up to direct it, or being rude to participants is a way to lose the power. As TD, if someone is giving you trouble, their are ways to prevent them from playing in the future. It is ok (but someone what bad form) to remove them from your event without discussing with them why, but DO NOT SAY RUDE THINGS TO THEM AS YOU REMOVE THEM.

--Ben--

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-22, 09:08

It would be a good idea to know the rules of the game, and how they are impacted by online play. Also, "the rules" are made up of laws (which are the responsibility of the WBF) and regulations, which are the responsibility of the tournament organizer. If you're running games on BBO (except ACBL games) that's you.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-22, 09:41

Users who receive permission to host tournaments are also given instructions on how to behave, how to use the software and some guidelines for TDs.

#8 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-May-22, 13:56

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-May-22, 09:08, said:

It would be a good idea to know the rules of the game, and how they are impacted by online play. Also, "the rules" are made up of laws (which are the responsibility of the WBF) and regulations, which are the responsibility of the tournament organizer. If you're running games on BBO (except ACBL games) that's you.

Sadly, this won't happen. The vast majority of the players don't know/don't care about the Laws of Duplicate Bridge and it is apparent that BBO does not want to promote them. There is not a link to the laws anywhere on BBO.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#9 User is offline   BCTR 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-June-07, 14:28

Most ACBL TD are not sufficient or with bad manner, look at 7242 3pm, even after several warning acbl-xx didnt correct the board, while strugling to explain the wrong decision my al the game lost its pace. And this is not first time happening, TD are after certain players and members, if so we leave the tourns for ACBL members.

This post has been edited by inquiry: 2012-June-07, 16:48
Reason for edit: we do not allow mentioning players names or directors in forum post. This is not related to this being an acbl director. Please log your complaint directly with user name ACBL or with jacki at bridgebase dot com

#10 User is offline   nathan2008 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-08, 03:12

View Postkaigor, on 2012-May-18, 22:26, said:

Sorry if you think I am asking a silly question since I don't quite know much about BBO...
I want to ask that how can I become a TD in BBO?? :blink:
Is that I need to join any private club or what should be required??
Thanks a lot!!! :)

Make sure you really want to be TD. It is not for fun, it is to offer others enjoyable games. And it is not an easy task. I even don't like hosting a TM. Every time if i don't have enough friends, i pick unknown players. They will run if his pd does sth very wrong.

TO BCTR: I find that some TDs are in favor of USA players. So next time u can put USA flag when playing ACBL games. :)

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-June-08, 09:06

View Postnathan2008, on 2012-June-08, 03:12, said:

TO BCTR: I find that some TDs are in favor of USA players. So next time u can put USA flag when playing ACBL games. :)

If you think an ACBL TD is acting in a biased manner, please send mail to acbl@bridgebase.com. We want to know if our TDs are not protecting the integrity of the game.

#12 User is offline   BCTR 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-June-09, 00:14

View Postnathan2008, on 2012-June-08, 03:12, said:

Make sure you really want to be TD. It is not for fun, it is to offer others enjoyable games. And it is not an easy task. I even don't like hosting a TM. Every time if i don't have enough friends, i pick unknown players. They will run if his pd does sth very wrong.

İ face this problems almost every day once in 3-4 tourn, may be you are right its happening because of the flags, which is not fair behaving according to flags.
Even today at 8010 1 am speedball the TD assault me because i asked the meaning of "unusual" in the alert.
But i know that alerting player should explain if needed.
When i asked for explanation they called the TD, (so how can they call the TD while not alerting incorrectly) because they are encouraged to do so.
instead of telling to the players for explanation he/she accused me not to know whats "UNUSUAL"

#13 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-09, 07:29

An ACBL TD who does not know that the ACBL Alert Regulation specifically says that "explaining" a call by naming a convention is inadequate disclosure is plainly incompetent. Report him (or her) to the appropriate person. I think the address is acbl@bridgebase.com.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-June-09, 21:51

To be fair, Unusual 2NT is one of the oldest bridge conventions still in common use. Not knowing it seems like not knowing what Stayman or Blackwood are. It's not even required to alert or announce it in ACBL, because it's so well known and practically everyone plays it.

However, that doesn't excuse the TD's behavior. You're always entitled to an explanation.

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-June-10, 00:34

View Postbarmar, on 2012-June-09, 21:51, said:

To be fair, Unusual 2NT is one of the oldest bridge conventions still in common use. Not knowing it seems like not knowing what Stayman or Blackwood are.

Last weekend at a congress I played against a very experienced player who was partnering a pro. The card was marked "UNT" and the player who bid it thought it was the lowest suit and another, while his partner explained it as the two lower suits. (It was lucky for us that they discussed it a bit after the hand, so that it was established that the correct explanation was "no agreement" and it was not a misbid instead.)
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-June-10, 00:35

Attending and passing whatever director training programme your NBO offers would be a good idea.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#17 User is offline   BCTR 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-June-15, 15:57

i told him that i have printscreen....... he didnt care... who is the responsible manager.....................

#18 User is offline   BCTR 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-June-15, 16:09

Whenever someone else write a TD's name you try to hide him, but never say he i or she is wrong???????? is it a commertial way of keeping collet BBO $ 's .????????

#19 User is offline   BCTR 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-June-15, 16:17

once in a tourn my p said "your prf" in blackwood convention we did 6 sp and TD gave ++ to ops and i said ok because the argument was right. Dirk (the best ACBL TD) corrected the board against us i said ok because ops claim was wrong. The rest of TD's are idiot.:) :)

#20 User is offline   BCTR 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-June-15, 17:09

LLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOl your TD XXXX cancelled my reg withouth any reason , Jaki you should take care...............
1045 7 fri pm

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users