BBO Discussion Forums: Which BBO client do you use? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which BBO client do you use? Browser Vs Windows clients

Poll: Do you still use the windows only version? (195 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you still use the windows only version?

1. Yes, primarily (141 votes [72.31%])

Percentage of vote: 72.31%

2. Yes, occasionally (5 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

3. No, only rarely use the windows client (13 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

4. No, completely switched to the browser version. (36 votes [18.46%])

Percentage of vote: 18.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-20, 21:48

View PostEthel, on 2012-July-20, 14:45, said:

The sound used to work - so something has changed on the program.

I don't think that the conclusion logically follows from the premise. It is a possible explanation - one of many possibilities and frankly one of the least likely. Deliving the sound to your machine is a complex process involving many suppliers of services any one of which could perform well or badly from time to time. I use skype a lot, and it varies enormously in its performance and sound quality, but I don't assume that Skype have "done something" to reduce the quality when it deteriorates.

I enjoyed listening to LC, but now can no longer hear it. The sounds the cards make etc, etc is not a big concern. I like the Windows program computer relating what someone is typing on the screen. It is helpful as I can work at something else and still be part of the program.

Surely you get the same typed commentary on the screen if you use the flash version, even if there is a voice commentary available (which you can disable if the quality is unusable)?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#122 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-July-21, 02:26

View Post1eyedjack, on 2012-July-20, 21:48, said:

I like the Windows program computer relating what someone is typing on the screen. It is helpful as I can work at something else and still be part of the program.

Surely you get the same typed commentary on the screen if you use the flash version, even if there is a voice commentary available (which you can disable if the quality is unusable)?

I think Ethel is talking about the text-to-speech option in the downloadable version.

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2012-July-21, 02:29

#123 User is offline   Heron 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-July-27, 16:15

View Postfred, on 2012-July-20, 06:14, said:

For whatever it's worth, I feel quite strongly that we have already succeeded in this regard and the web client will certainly continue to improve. Yes, there are some areas in which the Windows client is still superior, but IMO there are many more areas where the web client has the advantage. I realize I am not exactly an objective observer, but neither is anyone else - people like what they are used to.

As someone who has never liked the windows client (and was away from BBO for years because of it), I actually dislike what I was used to. :)

I keep it around anyway, though, because there are a few things that are just plain impossible with the web client. FWIW, if you can get to 100% feature parity I think many more people would be quite happy to be web-only.

#124 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-July-27, 16:26

It will never get to 100% feature parity, since there are some things in the old client that we think are simply wrong. Lobby chat will probably never be resurrected, even though people keep asking for it.

But everything important should eventually find its way into the web client, it's just a matter of time. It may be a while, because now the person who would do that work is mostly busy on the mobile client, which is much further behind in feature parity.

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users