• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spingold Winners

#1 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-August-01, 07:59

Congratulations to Fred and company and thanks for providing an exciting finish for anyone to watch.

#2 User is offline   Mr. Dodgy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge (duh), mathematics, Information Technology, fantasy fiction and role-playing games, flirting with girls, eight-ball pool and snooker, dancing, drinking, The Simpsons, House, Futurama, The X-Files...

Posted 2010-August-01, 08:40

Congrats Fred et al!

#3 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-01, 09:28

Congrats, great match!

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-August-01, 09:36

It was really exciting in the Vugraph room at the Marriott. The audience was on pins and needles waiting for Brad to double 3. We know he's a slow and thoughtful player, but that was ridiculous. It was almost like he was doing it just to make us crap our pants. :)

#5 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-August-01, 09:52

Congratulations Fred and team. I watched quite a bit of it, but wasn't there for the end. Can someone post that swing hand?
Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

#6 User is offline   sohcahtoa 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-August-01, 09:57

http://bridgewinners.com/2010-spingold-rep...meltzer-leading

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-August-01, 10:01

Clutch double by Moss!

WD Fred and Co.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2010-August-01, 10:01

JoAnneM, on Aug 1 2010, 09:52 AM, said:

Congratulations Fred and team. I watched quite a bit of it, but wasn't there for the end. Can someone post that swing hand?

Sonty would rather you didn't see it :) . I, too, watched nearly all of the match. I chose the table of Rose and Kyle, then of Berk/Sont. This naturally resulted in seeing a lot of Gitelmoss.

IMHO, Moss gets MVP ---in all relevent categories that can be judged from not being there. Table presence, active ethics, and brilliance included.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   kfay 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2010-August-01, 10:02

yayayaya!! Congrats!
Kevin Fay

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-August-01, 10:11

I think this was the hand (edited to fix the honors, but I'm still not sure about the 10 and 9 positions).
Scoring: IMP
The first time it was played, East balanced with 2, and South rebid 2, North took preference to and 2 made.

On the replay, East (Fred) balanced with 1NT, and South jumped to 3. North again took preference, and West (Brad Moss) went into the tank for at least 5 minutes before finally whacking it. Then we had to wait some more for the lead. The best opening lead for the defense is a , but Brad led a .

If declarer had simply played for down 1 (possible with that lead), he would have won the Spingold, as they had a 12 IMP lead going into this board, and the last board was unlikely to generate a swing. Had he gone down 2, they'd have been tied, and the likely 1 IMP swing on the last board would have decided the match (in the first room, they played in a weak 1NT, making exactly because declarer didn't want to risk the contract for an overtrick, but Gitelman would find their 4-4 heart fit and make 2).

But he was apparently trying desperately to make it, and ended up going down 3 instead, sending 14 IMPs and the championship to the Diamond team.

This post has been edited by barmar: 2010-August-01, 10:16

#11 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-01, 10:12

barmar, on Aug 1 2010, 03:36 PM, said:

It was really exciting in the Vugraph room at the Marriott.  The audience was on pins and needles waiting for Brad to double 3.  We know he's a slow and thoughtful player, but that was ridiculous.  It was almost like he was doing it just to make us crap our pants. :)

Your pants! Try to imagine what was going through my pants!!!

First, I basically psych a 1NT balance because I think we need a swing (and playing "state of the match" is something I strongly tend not to do when Hampson and Greco are at the other table).

Second, the tray comes back instantly and I see that Sontag has jumped to 3H. For all I know the opponents might be about to bid a laydown vulnerable grand slam. Nice balance Fred!

Third, the next time the tray comes back it takes forever. I don't know who is thinking, but whoever it is it can only be bad news from my point of view.

Fourth, when the tray does come back it is obvious that my partner was the one who was thinking. Brad probably DBLs for penalties more aggressively than any other top player so it is a very bad sign that apparently he was not DBLing confidently.

Fifth, Brad leads away from the King of diamonds.

Sixth, the spot card Brad leads makes it clear that Sontag had a club void - my only possible defensive assets, the AK of clubs, appeared to be worthless.

I think I must have aged at least a year during that hand :)

Thanks all for the congrats!

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#12 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-01, 10:21

fred, on Aug 1 2010, 11:12 AM, said:

barmar, on Aug 1 2010, 03:36 PM, said:

It was really exciting in the Vugraph room at the Marriott.  The audience was on pins and needles waiting for Brad to double 3.  We know he's a slow and thoughtful player, but that was ridiculous.  It was almost like he was doing it just to make us crap our pants. :)

Your pants! Try to imagine what was going through my pants!!!

First, I basically psych a 1NT balance because I think we need a swing (and playing "state of the match" is something I strongly tend not to do when Hampson and Greco are at the other table).

Second, the tray comes back instantly and I see that Sontag has jumped to 3H. For all I know the opponents might be about to bid a laydown vulnerable grand slam. Nice balance Fred!

Third, the next time the tray comes back it takes forever. I don't know who is thinking, but whoever it is it can only be bad news from my point of view.

Fourth, when the tray does come back it is obvious that my partner was the one who was thinking. Brad probably DBLs for penalties more aggressively than any other top player so it is a very bad sign that apparently he was not DBLing confidently.

Fifth, Brad leads away from the King of diamonds.

Sixth, the spot card Brad leads makes it clear that Sontag had a club void - my only possible defensive assets, the AK of clubs, appeared to be worthless.

I think I must have aged at least a year during that hand :)

Thanks all for the congrats!

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

I thought the latest version of the screens had a Port-a-potty attached :)
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2010-August-01, 10:38

WTP, Fred. You also had the spade 9 :)

#14 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2010-August-01, 11:12

I watched to the very end and it was truly a wonderful show. The BBO Vugraph is such a great way to watch high-level bridge!

Most of us know that Fred and Brad maintain very high standards of ethics in their partnership. Viewers saw a fine example last night when -- after a very rough start to the third round -- Brad nevertheless let a 5 contract make rather than compromise their partnership's ethics.

It was also good to see that Fred and Brad could put that rough patch behind them and produce a long series of excellent decisions. With two boards to go and two partscores in the other room, it looked impossible to pick up 12 IMPs. But I was really happy that I stayed up to watch!

Congratulations to the Diamond team! And thanks so much, Fred, for providing the BBO Vugraph that brings all the ups and downs of top-flight bridge to our screens at home.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#15 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2010-August-01, 11:48

barmar, on Aug 1 2010, 11:11 AM, said:

By the way, a few commentators were suggesting that Berk pass 3.

Reaction?
Hi y'all!

#16 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-01, 11:53

Yeah, wonderful show I was rooting for Diamond, so 3x made me happy :)

I wonder why Sontag played that fast. He must have been aware that this contract may swing the match and he instantly went from +790 to -800 at least it looked that way on vugraph.
Great match overall. It was good to see that Fred-Brad recovered after tough 3rd segment :)

#17 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-01, 11:54

Congrats!

I will spare Fred a place in my profile's "out-of-context quote gallery" but "Try to imagine what was going through my pants!!!" would have been an all time classic.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#18 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2010-August-01, 12:16

bluecalm, on Aug 1 2010, 12:53 PM, said:

Yeah, wonderful show I was rooting for Diamond, so 3x made me happy :)

I wonder why Sontag played that fast. He must have been aware that this contract may swing the match and he instantly went from +790 to -800 at least it looked that way on vugraph.
Great match overall. It was good to see that Fred-Brad recovered after tough 3rd segment :)

Making 3 x'd would have been amazing - the solution is very counter-intuitive. Its almost impossible to see the winning line even looking at all four hands at T5. None of the commentators spotted it, except Cohen (I think) who said "GIB thinks that 3 can be made at this point" (after Fred played a high club).

Holding it to -1 looks very achievable however. Sontag appeared to lose his poise in the middle game - I wonder exactly what he was playing for? 3-3 spades seems impossible, and the hand doesn't seem that tough to reconstruct in spite of Fred's offbeat reopening (which I kind of like).
Hi y'all!

#19 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2010-August-01, 12:21

Phil, on Aug 1 2010, 11:48 AM, said:

barmar, on Aug 1 2010, 11:11 AM, said:

Dealer: South
Vul: N/S
xx
xx
QJx
QTxxxx
KTxx
Kxx
Kxx
J9x
Qx
xxx
xxx
AKxxx
AJ9xx
AQJTx
Axx

By the way, a few commentators were suggesting that Berk pass 3.

Reaction?

they mentioned the tactical reasoning...possibly avoiding a double by pretending he was 2-3. Surely they were not looking at the actual suit qualities, then coming up with the logic.

#20 User is offline   andy_h 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2010-August-01, 12:22

Congratulations! Marvelous finish!
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users