Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

xfer resp to short club

#1 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-June-24, 17:19

Curiosity: fleisher/Kamil apparently have a system with a non-forcing ---but could be short --- 1 opening; and they declare that they have xfer responses.

However, apparently if it goes 1C (X) xfers are off. Is this a common variance, where the double (which takes up no room) changes the response structure?

If so, what are the advantages? Other than ability to play in 1D.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-June-24, 17:32

Maybe they want to be able to bid a natural 1, preventing the opps from showing hearts by doubling the transfer.

Just a guess. Sounds a little weird to me. I think most play transfers on. You can play xx as transfer to diamonds, then you can get to play anything at the 1-level provided that p doesn't break the transfer, and opps don't compete. Sorta strong assumption, though. Wouldn't be a priority to me.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-June-24, 17:34

Yes it's very bad that the opponents can easily double the transfer bid, it's anti-preemptive. Also the main benefit of transfers over the double is having a weak and strong raise to 2 but you really don't care about raising the 'could be short' club so much.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#4 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-June-24, 21:35

4x xfers (to each suit) with above those 4 being 'picture' (very closely defined) bids seems near optimal. Which shape with strength goes jump, which xfer and new suit, which xfer and raise allows a panoply of ways to show each shape.

#5 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-June-24, 21:58

Yes - not only do you give the oppo a double of 1 showing spades, but the advantage of transfers - that you save a step - is less likely to be beneficial, as advancer is likely to make a bid.

I can think of two counter-arguments. Firstly, it is harder for them to double you if they were about to - presumably they will have to bid 1-X-1-1 to show four cards in responder's suit, rather than 1-X-1-X if you were playing natural methods. Secondly, the double arguably increases the chance that it is right for opener to be declarer.

#6 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2010-June-25, 13:48

It's a bit weird, but oppo seem to like doubling the 1H response to show hearts, while when you bid 1S they just bid 2H. So in practice we seem to get more room, ont less, playing transfers.

#7 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-June-25, 16:21

If your short club can include four (five) diamonds and two clubs, then it is useful to have a raise showing both minors in competition. This is most easily done by retaining transfers over a double (as it releases a bid).
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users