BBO Discussion Forums: Opener invites after interference - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opener invites after interference Help sort through the options

#1 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-June-02, 07:58

After a bidding sequence of 1C-(P)-1H-(2D), opener seems to have two main options for showing extras and inviting to game...3D cue-bid or 3H.

How should those bids be differentiated?

Are there other options to invite game?

What hand type and range does the 3H jump show if your agreement with a pickup partner is standard 2/1?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-June-02, 09:14

I may be mistaken, but I think 3 as preemptive/competitive, with 3 as limit raise or better, is "standard" here.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-June-02, 09:37

blackshoe, on Jun 2 2010, 10:14 AM, said:

I may be mistaken, but I think 3 as preemptive/competitive, with 3 as limit raise or better, is "standard" here.

I think you are misreading the auction. Your comment is only right in the case of 1 - (2) - 3.

In the actual case, 3 would not promise a fit and 3 would be the same without the interference.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-June-02, 09:40

I generally play 3H as a strong hand with hearts, same as without interference and 3D as a GF hand with good clubs. I think opener rarely has a hand that wants to preempt to 3H.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2010-June-02, 09:42

Agree with Jefford.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-June-02, 10:48

Yeah, I did misread it. :P :o :lol:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   Scoti 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-July-08, 23:23

Personally, I really dislike cue bidding under 4 level in pickup. Especially cue using a minor.
1) 3d might be interpretted as showing D stopper(s) asking if P can bid 3NT if he holds a Sp stopper, or to show a Sp stopper for 3NT ... depending who's to declare.

2) 3D might even be seen to mean wanting to play in D if Op opened short D, tho its a long shot I suppose. (I hope :)

So I reserve my cues toward slam. I would want to have 16pts & 4 hearts there to say 3H unless it is a non-conservative situation (Must score or Goulash etc). Otherwise would prefer to confirm suit at 2H and let P show if he has extra or only has 4 cards. That's just the way I play, not an expert opinion. :)
Well ok, if I hold 18+pts and AKQ H maybe go 3H without P length check. But I assume he is probably under 10pts & maybe minimal, or might have come back 2h. There is some reason he chose 1H. If he has real values, he won't leave me at 2h made merely as confirmation bid.

#8 User is offline   Rodney26 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-09, 14:23

bd71, on Jun 2 2010, 08:58 AM, said:

After a bidding sequence of 1C-(P)-1H-(2D), opener seems to have two main options for showing extras and inviting to game...3D cue-bid or 3H.

How should those bids be differentiated?

Are there other options to invite game?

What hand type and range does the 3H jump show if your agreement with a pickup partner is standard 2/1?

This auction also depends on whether you are playing support doubles or not. If we are, then 3 is an ambiguous game force that either doesn't have hearts, or a hand with hearts that has become too good for 4.

xx Kx AJx AKQxxx: 3 is a reasonable grope for 3 or 3. Some might just blast 3NT here.

Something like: A KQxx AQx KJTxx : The auction has made this hand too good for 4, so 3.

If you're not playing support doubles, then 3 is often a three card GF raise. Those hands get very hard to bid otherwise.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users