BBO Discussion Forums: Moscito 2005 Question - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Moscito 2005 Question What to bid with 5440?

#21 User is offline   slyq 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-April-10, 16:59

sorry if i upset anyone some of the -ve i found were
1 15+ club was to low
2 10+ opening seems not to work as well as 11+ for technical reasons (xcept perhaps in spades)
3 canape style openings work best in competition if there are some restrictions and flexibliity in suit quality for openings (a la blue club) (lead directional 4-3 fits etc)
4 if you play transfer vairiants of moscito ( 1d =h etc)
this gives up to the opponents the two bites of the cherry (x and cue)
without the corresponding weak strong relay option advantage you have
if (1c = h)
5 this is only my opinion and outlines some of the prblems i found ( wasnt overfond of various 1nt incarnations in moscito either ) but each to there own luck all

#22 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2010-April-10, 17:56

slyq, on Apr 11 2010, 01:59 AM, said:

this gives up to the opponents the two bites of the cherry (x and cue) without the corresponding weak strong relay option advantage you have if (1c = h)

Hard to play 1 = Hearts if you're forced to play strong club rather than strong pass.

I think that most anyone would agree that 1 = hearts has plenty of disadvantages. However, on balance, I think that the benefits outweigh the costs. The primary benefits, of course, being

1. Aligning the level of the opening bid with the frequency
2. Right siding many auctions following a relay response

I find it rather amusing that there is a parallel thread going on explaining how transfer responses to natural 1 openings are such a great improvement over natural methods or even Walsh.
Alderaan delenda est

#23 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-April-10, 20:04

hrothgar, on Apr 10 2010, 06:56 PM, said:

I think that most anyone would agree that 1 = hearts has plenty of disadvantages.  However, on balance, I think that the benefits outweigh the costs.  The primary benefits, of course, being

1.  Aligning the level of the opening bid with the frequency
2.  Right siding many auctions following a relay response

Didn't someone (RonLel?) report a while back that trying to play Moscito without transfer openings resulted in huge system losses?
foobar on BBO

#24 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2010-April-11, 00:28

hrothgar, on Apr 10 2010, 06:56 PM, said:

slyq, on Apr 11 2010, 01:59 AM, said:

this gives up to the opponents the two bites of the cherry (x and cue) without the corresponding weak strong relay option advantage  you have if (1c = h)

Hard to play 1 = Hearts if you're forced to play strong club rather than strong pass.

I think that most anyone would agree that 1 = hearts has plenty of disadvantages. However, on balance, I think that the benefits outweigh the costs. The primary benefits, of course, being

1. Aligning the level of the opening bid with the frequency
2. Right siding many auctions following a relay response

I find it rather amusing that there is a parallel thread going on explaining how transfer responses to natural 1 openings are such a great improvement over natural methods or even Walsh.

The main advantage of 1 = s is responder's natural 1 response.
Our 1 shows hearts (not spades) with 1 as relay. This means we have to respond 1NT on something like
KJxxx  x  Axx  xxxx.

Right-siding is not a big deal. Sure you end up in 4 by opener if 1 = hearts but (1) most other games are right-sided and (2) the opening lead agqainst 4 is still blind, though the subsequent defence might be a touch easier. I'm struggling to recall an instance of that.

A big disadvantage of transfers is the inability to sit in 1-of-a-major. This has a cascading effect on other responses. When you pick up a hand that wants out, the choices are pass, 1NT & raising to 2. Such as
Kxx  xxx  xx  Qxxxx

You may think this is an easy 1 - 2. As you wish. I guess you can bid 1 - 2 as a real raise. Etc, etc. Just love them transfers. (by opponents)

1 with spades is bad too, so we do 1 = spades & 1 = hearts, which we are happy with.

Of course we prefer Pass = 13+, 1 = hearts.

#25 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-April-11, 02:16

slyq, on Apr 10 2010, 11:59 PM, said:

sorry if i upset anyone some of the -ve i found were
1 15+ club was to low
2 10+ opening seems not to work as well as 11+ for technical reasons (xcept perhaps in spades)
3 canape style openings work best in competition if there are some restrictions and flexibliity in suit quality for openings (a la blue club) (lead directional 4-3 fits etc)
this gives up to the opponents the two bites of the cherry (x and cue)
without the corresponding weak strong relay option advantage you have
if (1c = h)
5 this is only my opinion and outlines some of the prblems i found ( wasnt overfond of various 1nt incarnations in moscito either ) but each to there own luck all

I underlined NEW TOPIC for a reason... Now we're going completely off topic, well done!
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users