BBO Discussion Forums: Buffett teams announced - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Buffett teams announced

#21 User is offline   billw55 

  • enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,474
  • Joined: 2009-July-31
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2010-April-06, 09:23

So what is the format of this event? Does each side split up into two teams of three pairs, or three teams of two pairs, or what?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn
0

#22 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,893
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2010-April-06, 09:31

billw55, on Apr 6 2010, 09:23 AM, said:

So what is the format of this event? Does each side split up into two teams of three pairs, or three teams of two pairs, or what?

follow the link from (say) Hrothgar's post, and the event details are another link on the left side.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#23 User is offline   kfay 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,207
  • Joined: 2007-July-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2010-April-07, 14:41

Looks pretty awesome. I'm excited.

Always nice to have an event where there's definitely a team I want to win...

GO USA!!! :D
Kevin Fay
0

#24 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 16,075
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2010-April-07, 14:48

kfay, on Apr 7 2010, 08:41 PM, said:

Looks pretty awesome. I'm excited.

Always nice to have an event where there's definitely a team I want to win...

GO USA!!! :D

shut up!!! EUROPE is the best! :D GO EUROPE!!!
0

#25 User is offline   Gerben42 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5,526
  • Joined: 2005-March-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Erlangen, Germany
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2010-April-09, 10:47

I want Europe to win but fear they won't. No Bulgarians or Dutch on it...
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck
0

#26 User is offline   Aberlour10 

  • Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,853
  • Joined: 2004-January-06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:At the Rhine River km 772,1

Posted 2010-April-09, 12:08

Looking back to the results of the both past editions it seems the deciding gains were made always in individuels.
Could it be that the participants in this special event are choosen not only in regard of the competitive performance but entertainment and public relations too?

Robert
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends
0

#27 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2010-April-09, 13:09

Aberlour10, on Apr 9 2010, 01:08 PM, said:

Could it be that the participants in this special event are choosen not only in regard of the competitive performance but entertainment and public relations too?

Robert

This is definitely the case, not that theres anything wrong with that heh.
0

#28 User is offline   JLOGIC 

  • 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,002
  • Joined: 2010-July-08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2012-July-01, 23:04

View PostJlall, on 2010-April-09, 13:09, said:

This is definitely the case, not that theres anything wrong with that heh.


Never thought 2 years after this post I'd be playing for USA!


Europe

Fulvio Fantoni- Claudio Nunes
Sally Brock- Nicola Smith
Michel Bessis-Thomas Bessis
Ricco van Prooijen-Luke Verhees
Kalin Karaivanov-Rumen Trendafilov
+ 1 pair to be announced


USA

Bob Hamman-Justin Lall
Joe Grue-Curtis Cheek
Alan Sontag-David Berkowitz
Jill Levin-Jenni Wolpert
Joel Wooldridge-John Hurd
Fred Gitelman-Brad Moss


/shameless plug but I'm excited
0

#29 User is offline   JLOGIC 

  • 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,002
  • Joined: 2010-July-08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2012-July-01, 23:04

View PostGerben42, on 2010-April-09, 10:47, said:

I want Europe to win but fear they won't. No Bulgarians or Dutch on it...


Dutch and Bulgarians now on!
0

#30 User is offline   JLOGIC 

  • 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,002
  • Joined: 2010-July-08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2012-July-01, 23:09

Of course with no Hampson or Nickell team players the US team is weaker than last time. Oh well still gonna ship imo :P
0

#31 User is online   chasetb 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 731
  • Joined: 2009-December-20
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Podunk, backwater USA

Posted 2012-July-02, 01:43

That's a really good USA team. Congrats on making it, imo as long as Sonkowitz and Woolhurd don't disappoint, I declare a USA victory!
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold
0

#32 User is offline   Gerben42 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5,526
  • Joined: 2005-March-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Erlangen, Germany
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2012-July-02, 11:07

View Postchasetb, on 2012-July-02, 01:43, said:

That's a really good USA team. Congrats on making it, imo as long as Sonkowitz and Woolhurd don't disappoint, I declare a USA victory!


WOW good luck Justin (but not too much that your team wins, of course). I'm all for young people in the teams. Since it's probably right to have the Euro team from 6 countries and I still have Fantunes as Italians, my vote for #6 is Smirnov - Piekarek.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck
0

#33 User is offline   jallerton 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,464
  • Joined: 2008-September-12
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2012-July-02, 12:34

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-July-01, 23:04, said:

Never thought 2 years after this post I'd be playing for USA!


Europe

Fulvio Fantoni- Claudio Nunes
Sally Brock- Nicola Smith
Michel Bessis-Thomas Bessis
Ricco van Prooijen-Luke Verhees
Kalin Karaivanov-Rumen Trendafilov
+ 1 pair to be announced


USA

Bob Hamman-Justin Lall
Joe Grue-Curtis Cheek
Alan Sontag-David Berkowitz
Jill Levin-Jenni Wolpert
Joel Wooldridge-John Hurd
Fred Gitelman-Brad Moss


/shameless plug but I'm excited


Congratulations.

I can understand why you are excited. You'll get to play against the "#1 PLAYER ON THE PLANET"!
1

#34 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,354
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Orange County, CA
  • Interests:Running.

Posted 2012-July-02, 13:09

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-July-01, 23:09, said:

Of course with no Hampson or Nickell team players the US team is weaker than last time. Oh well still gonna ship imo :P


Buffett called me yesterday and said he was putting Willenken-Rosenberg in to replace you and Hamman.

Something about the way you played in the BBF match. dunno
Where there's ink there's squid Phil.
0

#35 User is offline   lalldonn 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,066
  • Joined: 2012-March-06

Posted 2012-July-02, 14:17

Half my GNT team!
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55
0

#36 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,497
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver #1 city in the world :)
  • Interests:Bridge, skiing

Posted 2012-July-02, 15:47

Great team :) good luck to all.
Searching for your own mistakes is the only way to learn this game. - Fluffy

And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly. - MikeH

SLOW DOWN! This is not a speedball :)
0

#37 User is offline   JLOGIC 

  • 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,002
  • Joined: 2010-July-08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2012-July-02, 16:48

View PostGerben42, on 2012-July-02, 11:07, said:

WOW good luck Justin (but not too much that your team wins, of course). I'm all for young people in the teams. Since it's probably right to have the Euro team from 6 countries and I still have Fantunes as Italians, my vote for #6 is Smirnov - Piekarek.


At one point they were thinking of putting in a junior pair since they also had a womens pair. I think 4 or 6 years ago. I was like "So I'm in?" and Bob was like "No it would be Grue-Kranyak and Bessis-??? for Europe." Lol.
0

#38 User is online   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,280
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-July-03, 00:12

Congratulations. The USA team is strong, but surely the European Team could be much stronger.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#39 User is offline   mgoetze 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,559
  • Joined: 2005-January-28
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cologne, Germany
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-July-03, 02:53

View Postthe hog, on 2012-July-03, 00:12, said:

Congratulations. The USA team is strong, but surely the European Team could be much stronger.

Yes but Buffet is American...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell
0

#40 User is offline   ahh 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 28
  • Joined: 2007-June-17

Posted 2012-July-03, 06:22

I thought it was pronounced 'boofay' which would surely make it french ?
0

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users