BBO Discussion Forums: Pictures That Say 1000 Words (some graphic) - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pictures That Say 1000 Words (some graphic) and some that say a lot more

#21 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2010-January-09, 21:45

45. Kent State, May 4, 1970
46. Explosion of the Hindenburg, Lakehurst, NJ, May 6, 1937
54. Anne Frank, May, 1942
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#22 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-09, 21:53

Any objections to posting some pictures that the average person can't look at without getting emotional? I've got some, but not many.
OK
bed

#23 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-09, 22:19

1. Scott on the Antartica expedition? ( Well, I got the continent right)

18. After the Exxon Valdez?

26. Looks right for Meckwell.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#24 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-January-10, 03:35

17 is
Spoiler

43 is inside a well-crafted studio in Houston TX :)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#25 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2010-January-10, 08:46

42 is the meaning of life. I mean, what is 42 about? I thought those bears were 'wild'.

Remember you can post anything that you would send your grandmother in an e-mail. Other than that, ask the moderators.

By the way in 48, is the water from the colored fountain coming from the discarded water of the white?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#26 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-10, 10:41

Ernest Shackleton is one of my all time heroes. So is Roald Amundsen. Roland Huntford's accounts of their many amazing adventures is fascinating reading.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#27 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2010-January-10, 10:56

Posted Image

Democratic Presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) speaking at a rally at Widener University in Chester, PA Tusday October 28, 2008 at the end of a grueling campaign.

His opponent John McCain cancled his event that day due to inclement weather.

Photo credit: Damon Winter / New York Times
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#28 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-10, 12:45

A week of groceries from around the world:

Posted Image
U.S. $341.98

Posted Image
Japan $317.25

Posted Image
Italy $260.11

Posted Image
China $155.06

Posted Image
Egypt $68.53

Posted Image
Ecuador $31.55

Posted Image
Bhutan $5.03

Posted Image
Chad $1.23
OK
bed

#29 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-10, 13:05

56. Posted Image

57. Posted Image

58. Posted Image

59. Posted Image

60. Posted Image

61. Posted Image

62. Posted Image

63. Posted Image

64. Posted Image

65. Posted Image
OK
bed

#30 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-10, 13:08

I can't look at any of these without getting emotional. I haven't verified myself, but it's reported that the photographer of the third picture committed suicide shortly after taking this picture.

66. Posted Image

67. Posted Image

68. Posted Image
OK
bed

#31 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-10, 13:14

60. This photo was taken by Neil Leifer, who said the following about it:

Well, I was lucky. I don’t want to sound like I’m just being modest about it. Most good photographers I know, sports or any other kind, have pretty healthy egos and I’m certainly no exception to that. But sports photography is a matter of being in the right place. You’ve got to be in the right seat. A great example is to the Liston Ali picture. The photographer you see between Ali’s legs is Herbie Scharfman, the other Sports Illustrated photographer. It didn’t make a difference how good he was that night. He was obviously in the wrong seat. What the good sports photographer does is when it happens and you’re in the right place, you don’t miss. Whether that’s instinctual or whether it’s just luck, I don't know.

The photo -- widely published in newspapers -- showed a distraught Mary McHugh lying on her stomach in front of the grave of her late fiance, James Regan, who was killed in Iraq this February by a roadside bomb. The picture was taken at Arlington National Cemetery during Memorial Day weekend.

"She sat in front of the grave..., talking to the stone," wrote Moore, who has been a photojournalist in Iraq and Afghanistan during the past five years. "She spoke in broken sentences between sobs, gesturing with her hands, sometimes pausing as if she was trying to explain, with so much left needed to say. ...

"Clearly, she had not only loved him but truly admired him. When he graduated from Duke, he decided to enlist in the Army to serve his country. He chose not to be an officer, though he could have been, because he didn't want to risk a desk job. Instead, he became an Army Ranger and was sent twice to Aghanistan and Iraq -- an incredible four deployments in just three years."

Moore concluded: "Some people feel the photo I took at the moment was too intimate, too personal. Like many who have seen the picture, I felt overwhelmed by her grief, and moved by the love she felt for her fallen sweetheart.

"After so much time covering these wars, I have some difficult memories and have seen some of the worst a person can see -- so much hatred and rage, so much despair and sadness. All that destruction, so much killing. And now, one beautiful and terribly sad spring afternoon amongst the rows and rows of marble stones -- a young woman's lost love.

"I felt I owed the Arlington National Cemetery a little time -- and I think I still do. Maybe we all do."

62. Sixteen-month-old Aubrey Melton reaches for her father, SSG Josh Melton, as she views his body with her mother Larissa before his funeral service on June 27, 2009 in Germantown, Illinois. SSG Melton, who was serving in Afghanistan with the Illinois National Guard, was killed in Kandahar during an IED attack on June 19.

65. An amateur astronomer named Thierry Legault took this crazy photo of the Space Shuttle Atlantis silhouetted by the sun.

The shuttle (which is only 37m long and has a 24m wingspan) was traveling 17,500 mph at 350 miles above the Earth's surface -- and Legault says he only had .8 seconds to get the shot. The sun looms in the background a mere 91 million miles away.
OK
bed

#32 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2010-January-10, 13:20

a mere 91 million miles away

Were you recently in the Total Perspective Vortex?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#33 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-10, 13:24

Hanoi5, on Jan 10 2010, 02:20 PM, said:

a mere 91 million miles away

Were you recently in the Total Perspective Vortex?

Posted Image
OK
bed

#34 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-10, 13:27

Hanoi5, on Jan 10 2010, 09:46 AM, said:

42 is the meaning of life. I mean, what is 42 about? I thought those bears were 'wild'.

Remember you can post anything that you would send your grandmother in an e-mail. Other than that, ask the moderators.

By the way in 48, is the water from the colored fountain coming from the discarded water of the white?

actually think that is the drain line and the source pipe is not visible
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#35 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2010-January-10, 13:52

60 - I love that shot. That's an all time fav.

61 - I frequently visit Arlington National Cemetery. People can build all the memorials they want. But nothing comes close to communicating what these guys have given up and we have lost as scenes like this one which I see frequently. Once I passed a group of guys sitting around talking and drinking at a grave site at the end of a summer day, near sunset. Once I passed a young woman sitting by a grave talking out loud, as if in conversation. She was still there talking when I passed by again 30 minutes later. You sort of feel intrusive when that happens. But then you start to feel like it's part of the scene. It's really something.

#36 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-10, 14:09

y66, on Jan 10 2010, 02:52 PM, said:

60 - I love that shot. That's an all time fav.

61 - I frequently visit Arlington National Cemetery.  People can build all the memorials they want. But nothing comes close to communicating what these guys have given up and we have lost as scenes like this one which I see frequently. Once I passed a group of guys sitting around talking and drinking at a grave site at the end of a summer day, near sunset.  Once I passed a young woman sitting by a grave talking out loud, as if in conversation. She was still there talking when I passed by again 30 minutes later. You sort of feel intrusive when that happens. But then you start to feel like it's part of the scene. It's really something.

I visited the Arlington National Cemetery when I was much younger, and I guess I just "didn't get it" at the time. I was too young, I think. In retrospect, walking around the cemetery is one experience that can change your life and really open your eyes.

I remember thinking "Wow, the lines of crosses and stars are so straight and organized. You can follow a line of graves as far as your eye can see, and it doesn't matter in which direction you look. The rows are always there."

It took some growing up to realize what it was exactly that I was looking at.
OK
bed

#37 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-18, 10:19

Posted Image
OK
bed

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic