BBO Discussion Forums: Official BBO Hijacked Thread Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 203 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Official BBO Hijacked Thread Thread No, it's not about that

#2981 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-July-09, 05:00

Cricket is a dangerous game (yes he is apparently OK)

https://www.thesun.c...ive-sky-sports/

#2982 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-July-09, 05:10

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-June-30, 04:52, said:

The green jersey on the other hand is probably already won by Sagan providing he does not fall off.

Seems like the Tour organisers agreed with me and decided to spice things up a bit. Now the green jersey is suddenly one of the most interesting competitions in the race. Real shame for Sagan though - seems hard to justify the decision to exclude him on any sporting grounds.
(-: Zel :-)

#2983 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-July-09, 05:15

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-July-09, 05:00, said:

Cricket is a dangerous game (yes he is apparently OK)

Here is the video for the incident.

#2984 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-July-09, 05:16

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-July-09, 05:10, said:

Seems like the Tour organisers agreed with me and decided to spice things up a bit. Now the green jersey is suddenly one of the most interesting competitions in the race. Real shame for Sagan though - seems hard to justify the decision to exclude him on any sporting grounds.

Seems like judging on the consequences of an action rather than the action itself. Interestingly this is enshrined in law in some sports (judging of dangerous tackles in rugby for example) but seems over the top here.

#2985 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-July-09, 05:17

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-July-09, 05:15, said:

if you clicked the arrow in the middle of my link, it has the video, but your link is clearer

#2986 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-18, 07:57

“A.I. is a fundamental existential risk for human civilization,” Elon Musk told a gathering of governors. [KQED]

Related story
by Tim Wu.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2987 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-July-20, 05:30

View Posty66, on 2017-July-18, 07:57, said:

Related story[/url] by Tim Wu.

It's a risk when the business and legal domains give preferential treatment and legal status to robots over the natural person.

#2988 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2017-July-21, 07:52

From a recent barbershop conversation:

Alex Morrow, a former football player at the University of Southern California, Mr. Simpson’s alma mater, watched the hearing coverage on ESPN.

“I don’t believe most of what he said,” said Mr. Morrow, 32. “I thought, there’s no way they’ll let this guy do anything other than spend his life in prison.”

But as Mr. Morrow walked into a barbershop for a trim, he saw the news on his phone and showed it to his stylist, Nick Shaffer, 26.

“The Juice is loose!” Mr. Shaffer shouted. Throughout the haircut, the men discussed what might happen next.

“For sure he’s going to do something else, he’ll cause trouble somehow,” Mr. Morrow said.

Perhaps it’s not entirely his fault, Mr. Shaffer replied.

“He’s clearly a case of years of concussions from playing football,” he added. “They should be studying his brain too.”

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2989 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-04, 17:01

Seriously, why is personal finance a required class in high school in only 4 states?

One would think that personal finance classes would be a curriculum requirement. Financial literacy is a lifesaving skill EVERY high school graduate needs to get through this thing called LIFE regardless of chosen occupation or life path.

http://business.time...nce-in-schools/

#2990 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-04, 17:17

Wow!

Lottery as your 401(k) retirement plan.....who would've thought?

http://www.cbc.ca/be...dents-1.2517046

#2991 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-04, 22:00

fwiw see Richard dryfuss the guy from jaws, etc.

No one ever told me to save my money for old age.......really?

#2992 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-06, 01:50

http://blogs.mprnews...ding-boom-over/

Priorities.... Corporate-branded stadiums always come first. . .as infrastructure projects.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

COST OF THIS IS $1.5 billion

https://www.usatoday...llion/19806585/

#2993 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-09, 02:35

http://www.businessi...g-subway-2017-8

It's just sad that New York has allowed its transportation infrastructure to depreciate, decay, and crumble to this point. . .

Aren't these repairs covered for federal grants under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act? Did New York apply for these federal grants and use them for transportation infrastructure rehabilitation and replacement?

#2994 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-August-09, 14:43

Seriously? People are complaining about a 4.41% tax rate on earnings above $500k? I would laugh if it wasn't just so astonishingly sad.

#2995 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-11, 04:45

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-August-09, 14:43, said:

Seriously? People are complaining about a 4.41% tax rate on earnings above $500k? I would laugh if it wasn't just so astonishingly sad.

Yes it is sad. People nowadays want something for nothing even when it comes to a public good such as transportation. New York can't afford to play hardball when it comes to its transportation infrastructure.

This is a sad testament to where we are as a nation. We are fighting over who pays a little extra so the New York rail can operate and take folks to work to make the doughnuts that make this nation and local economy great.

#2996 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-August-13, 00:15

If
gee is the first rock and roll song ...can anyone link to it and play it

#2997 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-August-16, 22:46

Off topic but watching Austin Powers,,,,goofy but funny

fwiw where the heck is Elizabeth Hurley?

#2998 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-17, 14:31

This is TWO years old and hasn't made the mainstream news yet but pops up on Russia Today (RT)?

https://www.rt.com/u...ollege-student/
http://www.bbc.com/n...canada-40959693
http://www.huffingto...4b08a247275e473

Correction: It showed up in 2015 in The Washington Post but the conclusion of this case has not been followed up:

https://www.washingt...m=.d4d9701ef343

IS OUR MEDIA ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL about what occurred in Texas?

And why are there 850 rape kits growing mold in Austin Texas?
https://www.dailydot...t-backlog-mold/

How can a city/state government not find the money to process rape kits but as soon as a stadium is needed they find millions of $$$ in bond proceeds to pay for stadiums?

#2999 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2017-August-18, 06:57

Fun read for Knausgaard fans and book lovers. Excerpts:

What’s the most interesting thing you learned from a book recently?

When you see something, information flows from the eyes and to the back of the brain. The interesting thing is that more information is going the other way, which means that we see what we think we see, and the actual process involving the eyes is a question of correcting what’s already there. I have always suspected something like that! But I got it confirmed in a book called “The Brain: The Story of You,” by David Eagleman. I picked it up at an airport recently and didn’t stop reading it till I came home five hours later. I also learned that the act of seeing involves the whole body and all the other senses — it is not an abstract enterprise, but very physical — and that the things observed always come together in the brain with a delay, so that we basically live in the past. Everything we see has already happened. And finally, that the feeling of flow we all know, when we are so deeply immersed in something that we lose track of time and who we are, has a neurological explanation: In a state of flow, the activity in the frontal lobe is reduced, it is almost shut down — and it is in the frontal lobe the ability for abstract thinking situated, the planning for the future and the sense of self. Everything that makes us human, in other words, and that makes perfect sense: You lose yourself and sink into a state of pure being, like an animal — belonging to the world, not to yourself.

Who is your favorite fictional hero or heroine? Your favorite antihero or villain?

My first relation to and understanding of love also came from a literary character, Lieutenant Glahn, the protagonist in Knut Hamsun’s novel “Pan.” I read it when I was 16 and became kind of obsessed by it. It wasn’t a particularly healthy identification; Lieutenant Glahn was a very romantic, very narcissistic and reclusive man who shot himself in the foot to make an impression on the woman he loved. I would have saved myself a lot of trouble if I hadn’t read that book.

You’re organizing a literary dinner party. Which three writers, dead or alive, do you invite?

James Joyce has to be the most intriguing writer from the last century, but I have a feeling that he was a dominating person, and with only two other guests available that would perhaps make for a one-sided evening. Therefore, to make him a bit more humble, I would invite Homer. Just by showing up, he would also have settled the Homeric question once and for all. I’m sure Homer would have loved hearing about “Ulysses” and the, to him, strange and futuristic but maybe also familiar world it describes. The last guest would be one of the most interesting contemporary writers, Anne Carson, who also has immersed herself in the ancient Greek literature. I would enjoy listening to their conversation, and after a while, when I was starting to get a bit drunk, maybe talk with Joyce about raising children, with Homer about the color of the sea and with Carson about love — which all, we maybe would agree on, is associated with blindness.

#3000 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-20, 14:54

Just wow! Missouri better get it together. . .the death penalty is not to be toyed with. . .

http://www.aljazeera...0052647111.html

• 203 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

17 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook