BBO Discussion Forums: Official BBO Hijacked Thread Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 203 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Official BBO Hijacked Thread Thread No, it's not about that

#2761 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-30, 22:12

Yes, clearly the phrase "nuclear fission" refers only to human generated fission. Just like "climate change" refers only to human generated climate change. I should have known. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#2762 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-31, 05:08

Based on the anthropogenic context, yes, you should have ;)

At least semantics is a reasonable hijack and has little to do with name-calling, derogatory remarks and petulance. :lol:
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#2763 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2015-July-31, 13:54

I can't believe the Cubs did not find a way to sign Cole Hamels. The Cubs, unfortunately, are still the Cubs.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2764 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2015-July-31, 15:19

View PostWinstonm, on 2015-July-31, 13:54, said:

I can't believe the Cubs did not find a way to sign Cole Hamels. The Cubs, unfortunately, are still the Cubs.

Wolf, bear, scouts or Chicago? :rolleyes:

They make cellar-dwelling almost a science.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#2765 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-01, 06:38

This is another "Old guy coping with new century" post.

The other day I had trouble opening the car door. But it opened. Then I had trouble starting the car. All this is keyless, I have an electronic gizmo in my pocket that tells the car I am driver number 1 and that I am authorized to open the door and start the car. So I took the gizmo out of my pocket and waved it around a bit and the car started. I had places to go and I was a bit uneasy about whether all would be well.

Shazam! An insight. I had Becky's cell phone in the same pocket as the gizmo. Then I remembered that when we had a rental car in Portland I had brought it back because I was having similar problems. Again I was carrying a cell phone. I moved the gizmo to a different pocket and no further problems.

I may experiment further to see if I am right, but I think I have it. I don't carry a cell phone all that often, I am not really sure why I own one, so the matching of car problems with carrying a cell is impressive. Is this a known bug?

P.S. The cell, which had just been charged, was out of juice later in the day. I think that the cell and the gizmo were fighting in out.
Ken

#2766 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-03, 14:57

Don't Mess With The Boss

Posted Image
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#2767 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2015-August-03, 15:11

View PostAberlour10, on 2015-August-03, 14:57, said:

Don't Mess With The Boss

Posted Image

That's running, not "the runs".
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2768 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-04, 09:56

View Postkenberg, on 2015-August-01, 06:38, said:

This is another "Old guy coping with new century" post.

The other day I had trouble opening the car door. But it opened. Then I had trouble starting the car. All this is keyless, I have an electronic gizmo in my pocket that tells the car I am driver number 1 and that I am authorized to open the door and start the car. So I took the gizmo out of my pocket and waved it around a bit and the car started. I had places to go and I was a bit uneasy about whether all would be well.

Shazam! An insight. I had Becky's cell phone in the same pocket as the gizmo. Then I remembered that when we had a rental car in Portland I had brought it back because I was having similar problems. Again I was carrying a cell phone. I moved the gizmo to a different pocket and no further problems.

I may experiment further to see if I am right, but I think I have it. I don't carry a cell phone all that often, I am not really sure why I own one, so the matching of car problems with carrying a cell is impressive. Is this a known bug?

P.S. The cell, which had just been charged, was out of juice later in the day. I think that the cell and the gizmo were fighting in out.

What did google tell you when you asked what the problem might be? The real "old guy coping with new century" problem here is that you have the answer to literally any question you can possibly ask at your finger tips as long as you know the magic words. For example, if you google "cell phone interfering with keyless entry" you might find this:

"In a nutshell, keyless entry for automobiles will tend to use the unlicensed 2.4GHz spectrum used by Bluetooth and some flavours of Wi-Fi which means that it will be susceptible to interference from such devices particularly if they are immediately adjacent and broadcasting. What things will come down to is which device is broadcasting the stronger signal and whether or not there is enough signal to overcome the noise created by other signals on the same band."
OK
bed

#2769 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-04, 12:11

]OBBOHTT says Senator Ted Cruz for President!!!

Making machine-gun bacon with Ted Cruz

https://www.youtube....h?v=UiLTWVIRm3I
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#2770 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2015-August-08, 08:19

Wanted: Zamboni driver. Location Brooklyn, NY.

Posted Image
The key for the ice resurfacer used at Islanders games. The job of driving the machine is more complex than it sounds. Credit Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

Chris Jennings, the ice rink manager at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, where the Flyers play, said it took him four to six months before he was really comfortable behind the wheel.

The hardest part, he said, was adjusting to the obstructed view. “Imagine driving your car but sitting in your trunk,” he said. When driving a Zamboni, “you can’t see the entire right side.” Drivers deal with this by visually aligning lines engraved on the top of the machine with lines on the glass around the rink. “That way, you know you’re going straight,” Jennings said.

Jennings, who has been operating an ice resurfacer for 10 years, said his fellow drivers generally started at community rinks before making their way to the N.H.L., where the standard was higher.

“Players are bigger in the N.H.L., so we have to focus a little more on the density of our ice surface,” Jennings said. “We want it to be as strong as it possibly can.”

N.H.L. ice has an average thickness of one inch from the concrete floor to the top of the ice surface.

The person the Islanders hire will join a Zamboni community of sorts. The Facility Operations Managers Association meets annually to talk shop. “We gather to talk about a lot of the stuff that we do, because we face a lot of the same challenges,” Jennings said.

So if you’re “detail-oriented,” can “lift and/or move up to 75 pounds” and have a “passion for creating an exceptional experience” for fans, your dream job may be waiting in Brooklyn.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2771 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2015-August-08, 10:36

Katie Ledecky Wins 800, Completing World Championships Sweep

Wow.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2772 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2015-August-08, 11:57

View Posty66, on 2015-August-08, 08:19, said:

Wanted: Zamboni driver. Location Brooklyn, NY.

Posted Image
The key for the ice resurfacer used at Islanders games. The job of driving the machine is more complex than it sounds. Credit Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

Damn! I've got 12 points on my zamboni license: speeding, don't ya know.

#2773 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-August-08, 14:44

View Posty66, on 2015-August-08, 10:36, said:

I have been enjoying reading about her. She lives in Bethesda, Maryland, as does my grandson. He knows of her but has never met her. He is only 16, and more into weights, and guitars than swimming. Different high school. Oh well.

Some people are exceptional
Ken

#2774 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2015-August-08, 17:32

View Postkenberg, on 2015-August-08, 14:44, said:

Some people are exceptional

Thanks, Ken. :D

#2775 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2015-August-08, 17:40

View Postjjbrr, on 2015-August-04, 09:56, said:

What did google tell you when you asked what the problem might be? The real "old guy coping with new century" problem here is that you have the answer to literally any question you can possibly ask at your finger tips as long as you know the magic words. For example, if you google "cell phone interfering with keyless entry" you might find this:

"In a nutshell, keyless entry for automobiles will tend to use the unlicensed 2.4GHz spectrum used by Bluetooth and some flavours of Wi-Fi which means that it will be susceptible to interference from such devices particularly if they are immediately adjacent and broadcasting. What things will come down to is which device is broadcasting the stronger signal and whether or not there is enough signal to overcome the noise created by other signals on the same band."

Kids still say the darndest things.

#2776 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-August-08, 18:37

View Postjjbrr, on 2015-August-04, 09:56, said:

I had missed your reply until I saw Y's comment, my apologies.

I was just so pleased with myself for figuring out what was going on I had to brag! But you are right, I did not google. Otoh (note how confidently I use texting abbreviations) I made good use of the WC.

I think of myself as "not hopeless" when it comes to technology, I fancy myself as pretty good at some of it, but there are times I have no idea what my younger daughter is talking about. The older one (born in 1961) is more like me. Some things yes, some no.

Anyway, thank you for the info.
Ken

#2777 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2015-August-08, 19:53

View PostWinstonm, on 2015-July-31, 13:54, said:

My guess is the Cubs did not want to give up the prospects and rather wait yet another year and go into the free agent pool and spend money. But you make a great point. I would like to hear the GM and why he did not go for it.

It might be that the rangers just had better players in the minors. Most of the good Cub players are already up and will not be traded.

IN any case you make a great point.

#2778 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-13, 15:01

Couldn't find a book review thread, so I'll post here

Just finished Anathem, enjoyed it a lot
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#2779 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2015-August-15, 10:30

I'm reading Warlock, a western novel by Oakley Hill. George Pelecanos (DC crime novelist and occasional Wire scriptwriter) says this is the book that provided David Milch with some of the creative ideas he uses in Deadwood. I'm thoroughly enjoying Warlock and Deadwood. I must have a thing for big-hearted bad guys. Al Swearengen, Tony Soprano and Omar are like gods to me.

#2780 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-15, 21:14

View Posty66, on 2015-August-15, 10:30, said:

I'm reading Warlock, a western novel by Oakley Hill. George Pelecanos (DC crime novelist and occasional Wire scriptwriter) says this is the book that provided David Milch with some of the creative ideas he uses in Deadwood. I'm thoroughly enjoying Warlock and Deadwood. I must have a thing for big-hearted bad guys. Al Swearengen, Tony Soprano and Omar are like gods to me.

I recently dropped my cable because TWC is a disaster, and I picked up an Amazon Fire ($30 one time cost; I already have Prime so nothing extra for lots of features) and supplement it with Hulu($8/month). Was able to re-watch all 5 seasons of The Wire. Still feel strongly that The Wire is the best tv series of all time. Can't take you seriously if you think it's not in the top 3.

Anyway, sort of weird to call Omar a bad guy. It's an interesting discussion I suppose; I'd argue Omar is less of a bad guy than, for example, McNulty in season 5 with the fabricated serial killer murders.
OK
bed

• 203 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

15 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users