• You cannot reply to this topic

New Orleans

#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-December-31, 09:52

My wife and I are visiting New Orleans at the end of January. Her first time; my second. Any suggestions?

We are going to be staying in the French Quarter and plan on walking only. I've already set up a Brennan's brunch, and we will of course hit Pat O'Briens and then Cafe du Monde. But, I also am curious about places for Zydeco, Jazz, good food, etc.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-31, 12:08

kenrexford, on Dec 31 2009, 10:52 AM, said:

My wife and I are visiting New Orleans at the end of January. Her first time; my second. Any suggestions?

We are going to be staying in the French Quarter and plan on walking only. I've already set up a Brennan's brunch, and we will of course hit Pat O'Briens and then Cafe du Monde. But, I also am curious about places for Zydeco, Jazz, good food, etc.

You can try my son's place "Juan's Flying Burrito" but you will have to take the streetcar on Canal St to Carrollton Ave or "Slice Pizzeria" but this needs a different streetcar St. Charles Ave to Martin Luther King Blvd.(you get on at Carondelet(renamed Bourbon in the French Quarter) and Canal). You could also try Mother's for a po' boy sandwich. They are located at Tchoupitoulas & Poydras IIRC (within walking distance)
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#3 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-December-31, 12:35

pooltuna, on Dec 31 2009, 01:08 PM, said:

kenrexford, on Dec 31 2009, 10:52 AM, said:

My wife and I are visiting New Orleans at the end of January.  Her first time; my second.  Any suggestions?

We are going to be staying in the French Quarter and plan on walking only.  I've already set up a Brennan's brunch, and we will of course hit Pat O'Briens and then Cafe du Monde.  But, I also am curious about places for Zydeco, Jazz, good food, etc.

You can try my son's place "Juan's Flying Burrito" but you will have to take the streetcar on Canal St to Carrollton Ave or "Slice Pizzeria" but this needs a different streetcar St. Charles Ave to Martin Luther King Blvd.(you get on at Carondelet(renamed Bourbon in the French Quarter) and Canal). You could also try Mother's for a po' boy sandwich. They are located at Tchoupitoulas & Poydras IIRC (within walking distance)

And when you're at the corner of Tchoupitoulas & Poydras, you're in easy walking distance of Harrah's, which has good blackjack tables. And a sandwich shop.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2009-December-31, 15:48

My parents went down to New Orleans for a vacation last year.

A friend of a friend sent me the following...

I've lived in New Orleans for a little over 10 years now. I can't say enough about how much great food there is to eat in New Orleans. You can choose your meals based on which neighborhoods you'd like to visit or by cuisine. Depending on how reliable your transportation, you may want to stay close to your accommodations.

In the French Quarter, restaurants range from creme de la creme to hole-in-the-wall gems.  For over the top service, any Brennan restaurant is wonderful. Their food is usually very, very good, but the service is what they're known for. I can recommend Brennan's, Mr. B's, and Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse. Bananas Foster at Brennan's is a New Orleans speciality.  For one of the best meals I've ever eaten, Bayona is my personal favorite in the city. The restaurant remains at a pleasant volume level all evening so you're not shouting. The courses are brought at a wonderful pace so you're not starving or gorging. It's really just a great experience.
For best fried chicken and things with a creole/cajun twist, Coop's on Decatur Street near Margaritaville is the best. I also highly recommend the Jambalaya Supreme. It's on the spicy side though so be forewarned.

For Italian, Mona Lisa on Royal Street has the most incredible tomato sauce. Their pizzas, baked fettucine and tiramisu are always perfect. For the best burgers in the city, Port of Call on Esplanade. It's also got the best juke box in the city.

For breakfast, there are wonderful weekend brunches available in the Quarter. Court of Two Sisters, House of Blues, and Brennan's come to mind most easily.
For breakfast during the week, a cab ride to J'Anita's on Magazine Street or Blue Plate on Prytania are totally worth the price.

In the Bayou St. John area, Parkway Bakery and Tavern is a must for their Roast Beef Poboy. My personal favorite in the city. Others may recommend Domilise's or Parasol's but that's where the beauty of New Orleans comes in. They're all good! We can all have our favorites and still keep them all in business.

I see Abby recommended Jacques-Imo's, which is on Oak Street in Uptown New Orleans. A very good choice for all that's great about our cuisine. It's very popular with locals and tourists alike. Call first to make sure they're open. Lots of restaurants close on Mondays and this one is famous for being closed during all the best festivals. So all the employees and the owner can enjoy themselves too of course.  Down the street from Jacques-Imo's is a new barbecue restaurant called Squeal. We're not usually known for good BBQ, but this place is tops. Ribs, brisket, and nachos to feed a family of 8.  Also in that general area is Brigsten's which is always on the tops of local award lists and Dante's Kitchen. Both are upscale but eclectic and tasty.

For sushi, I can recommend two great places. New Orleans has access to some great local seafood. The quality of the sushi reflects it. Also in the Uptown area I would point you towards Kyoto on Prytania Street or Hana on Hampson Street.

And lots of tourists feel a trip to either Commander's Palace or Emeril's is a must. Both offer phenomenal food, service, atmosphere, and conviviality. If you had more time to spend in and around the city, I could continue to list places, but I'll stop here. Most people are willing to act as unofficial tour guides throughout the city. Don't hesitate to ask the concierge or even the bell hop for recommendations. It's traditional for us to start planning our next meal as we're still finishing our current one. Enjoy your stay in the city. Be sure to wander around the Quarter and see some live music at any of the venues on Frenchman Street. Even if you don't recognize the artist's name, you're likely to find a great performer.

Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2009-December-31, 17:16

first of all, have you thought about making the trip during mardi gras instead? i think the best time (for that) would be super bowl weekend... as for food, if you must eat in the quarter, i'd go with cafe degas or arnaud's, although one of the best breakfasts i've ever had was at brennan's... i had creole onion soup, eggs hussarde, and bananas foster... all were slap yo mama good
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#6 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2009-December-31, 18:51

I was in New Orleans for the 1972 Sugar Bowl, and we ate at Antoine's - I don't know if it is still there but it was fabulous.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users