• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Notice of Thread/Post Moderation A place where moderators describe action

#661 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-June-20, 01:52

Moved a thread from Exp forum to Natural Bidding.

#662 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-20, 23:32

Barry edited one of my posts: http://www.bridgebas...post__p__799035
I'm mostly curious to know why it broke the forum rule of not naming names. I thought the goal was to avoid lynches, so to speak, but that post didn't let any BBFer find that person on BBO and didn't really say anything defamatory about the player, it just stated Bridge facts, i.e. this was the bidding, that was the ruling.

#663 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-21, 11:40

It seemed like the only purpose in naming the player was to embarass them for their infraction. I don't see how it added anything to the discussion to know who it was. And I thought it was the general policy of the IBLF to keep things anonymous.

If you think it was appropriate for that forum, ask Blackshoe and Bluejak. If they thinks it's OK, they can edit the name back in. I didn't consult with them before editing because it would have taken too long.

#664 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-21, 21:24

Oh, actually it was the other way around, since people criticized the player's skill level based on this one action, so I wanted to show I don't just toss the "expert" label around :)

#665 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-June-22, 18:42

Antrax, on 2014-June-21, 21:24, said:

Oh, actually it was the other way around, since people criticized the player's skill level based on this one action, so I wanted to show I don't just toss the "expert" label around :)

I didn't recognize the name, so I didn't understand that you were naming the player to support the claim that he was an expert.

#666 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-22, 20:53

At the risk of naming names again, he won the Cavendish pairs two years ago, among other achievements. I thought that was sufficient for brand recognition :(

#667 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-August-05, 14:21

First I moved the thread "Frustration ... Finding teaching tables" from General Bridge Discussion to General BBO Discussion. Then when I started reading that thread, I noticed that they had started a similar thread there, "Accessing teaching tables", so I merged the two threads together.

#668 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-August-10, 20:01

Merged two threads entitled 7H,both in the interesting hand section.
--Ben--

#669 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-20, 10:19

Deleted a series of identical posts containing only a link, and subsequent replies quoting that link. Thanks for the reports.

#670 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-20, 13:47

diana_eva, on 2014-August-20, 10:19, said:

Deleted a series of identical posts containing only a link, and subsequent replies quoting that link. Thanks for the reports.

I am surprised, and dare I say I think it a little heavy-handed. I am not aware of anything in the forum terms of service that make it an offence per se to draw the readership's attention to content outside of the site by way of a hyperlink.

I know of the posts to which this refers (and I think that my responses were among the deletions). It is possible that the original poster was genuine in his belief as to the validity of his opinion, just as my responses detracted therefrom. Self-policing of the thread should have been adequate, in my view.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#671 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-20, 13:55

1eyedjack, on 2014-August-20, 13:47, said:

I am surprised, and dare I say I think it a little heavy-handed. I am not aware of anything in the forum terms of service that make it an offence per se to draw the readership's attention to content outside of the site by way of a hyperlink.

I know of the posts to which this refers (and I think that my responses were among the deletions). It is possible that the original poster was genuine in his belief as to the validity of his opinion, just as my responses detracted therefrom. Self-policing of the thread should have been adequate, in my view.

There was more to it, but didn't want to post all details. Sorry for deleting your replies, by the way :)

#672 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-21, 01:04

I reported those posts as spam, FWIW, 1eyedjack. Bumping old topics to advertise a service is only superficially helpful.

#673 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-September-01, 00:46

I closed the Is this a trap thread in General Bridge Discussion, because it seemed to have devolved into near-flaming about who was accusing who of what.

I've received one PM so far saying my action was premature. If others agree, I'll reopen it.

#674 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-September-01, 02:31

barmar, on 2014-September-01, 00:46, said:

I closed the <a href="http://www.bridgebase.com/forums/topic/Is this a trap thread in General Bridge Discussion, because it seemed to have devolved into near-flaming about who was accusing who of what. I've received one PM so far saying my action was premature. If others agree, I'll reopen it.

Do you want our opinions via PM or here? I am asking because it would be sad to see "thread lock" thread to be locked too Posted Image

Ok, I will reply here anyway.Imho you overreacted. Near-Flaming? What does that even mean? Of course there will be some heat on the forums now and then and people will exchange some spicy words. However the topic locked was a textbook example of how people can be so much against each others views and still can express their frustration without being really ugly. You ain't gonna get any better replies than this when there is a topic with huge disagreements. Yes there were some snarks-jabs and body shots but I do not think anyone hit under the belly so far. Anything less than this will be pretending and fake and unreal which leads to be boring. Anything more than this would be ugly. It was just about how it should be. (at the top but still in our range in bridge terms Posted Image) But this is of course my personal opinion and you and other people may have different criteria. Which I respectfully disagree.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#675 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-01, 04:14

MrAce, on 2014-September-01, 02:31, said:

Do you want our opinions via PM or here? I am asking because it would be sad to see "thread lock" thread to be locked too Posted Image

Ok, I will reply here anyway.Imho you overreacted. Near-Flaming? What does that even mean? Of course there will be some heat on the forums now and then and people will exchange some spicy words. However the topic locked was a textbook example of how people can be so much against each others views and still can express their frustration without being really ugly. You ain't gonna get any better replies than this when there is a topic with huge disagreements. Yes there were some snarks-jabs and body shots but I do not think anyone hit under the belly so far. Anything less than this will be pretending and fake and unreal which leads to be boring. Anything more than this would be ugly. It was just about how it should be. (at the top but still in our range in bridge terms Posted Image) But this is of course my personal opinion and you and other people may have different criteria. Which I respectfully disagree.

In principle, I agree with you, but the thread ended on a perfect note.

#676 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-September-01, 09:24

PhilKing, on 2014-September-01, 04:14, said:

In principle, I agree with you, but the thread ended on a perfect note.

Yes it ended. Whether it would end on a perfect note or not, naturally, without the lock, is under question though. Main characters of the arguments were Rik, Csaba,Rainer and Arend. (Timo and Ron were behaving as much as they could and Richard was not around) How bad can it end without the lock, when your 4 main characters in argument are those names, who proved themselves to be level headed, educated, smart and good players in the past?

Even cops, for example, when they are called by neighbours for a noisy party, do not stop the party. They first ask to keep it down a bit. And Barmar is a very good moderator and doing a great job here in BBF in general. When he had to deal with me in the past, via PM or openly, he always chose to warn. And the incidents I am referring to were much uglier and heated than this. And backing up from my ground was even harder for me because I am a bit hot headed. I still complied with his requests. Imo Barmar has very good people skills to convince/show that how things look like from his shoes. I was surprised he decided to lock, instead of using his skills and warning.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#677 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-September-01, 09:31

the hog said:

Does anyone else believe that Barry went overboard in locking the thread titled "Is this a trap"? . Sure the discussion was spirited, but no one was abused and some interesting points were raised and comments were made. I feel this action was totally unwarranted.
I really hate to agree with the hog, but I do...

#678 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-September-01, 14:08

Moved "Better Defense" from suggesting for software to GIB discussion forum.
--Ben--

#679 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-September-02, 09:59

OK, I unlocked it.

#680 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-September-03, 08:51

Moved the thread "pairs not allowed ask?" from Intermediate/Advanced to BBO Tournaments Discussion.

• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users