• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Notice of Thread/Post Moderation A place where moderators describe action

#601 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-February-17, 14:03

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-February-16, 20:35, said:

I did that, but the big red space-consuming Forum title is still there, and every once in a while the minus'd forums reappear so that I can minus them again.

This forum option is apparently in a cookie, so they'll reappear if you clear cookies or use a different computer.

But I put it down at the bottom of the list so it won't be intrusive.

#602 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-February-22, 09:28

Moved a post asking about the gaming software from beginner/novice forum to BBO support forum.
--Ben--

#603 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-February-26, 14:36

Removed the thread "Looking to add live chat plugin". It doesn't seem to be related to bridge or BBO.

#604 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-March-01, 16:14

Moved the latest incarnation of skill level thread from General Bridge Discussion to General BBO Discussion.

#605 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2014-March-11, 08:18

The semi-annual spam about getting fake passports was deleted from five different threads. Of course all the this is spam replies went when the threads were deleted. Thanks to all the members who reported them. Keep up the good work!!!!
--Ben--

#606 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-March-11, 10:15

Moved the thread "Responding at the one level with 7 pts" from Intermediate/Advanced to Novice/Beginner.

#607 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-March-13, 12:25

Just moved three threads:

"A regular occurrance" (about partner chatting "?????" after you make a mistake) and "playing the 4 hands on BBO" (about the quality of the robots in the free web games) to General BBO Discussion.

"english" (about changing the language of the web client) to BBO Support Forum.

It probably won't help, but I updated the description of the General Bridge Discussion forum. I added the line "NOT for BBO-specific posts -- please use Bridge Base Online Discussion for that".

#608 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-29, 15:22

Deleted a bunch of spam. Thank you 1eyedjack and Bradley for the reports.
So much spam, all happening on Barry Margolin day too. :(

We will try to change it so posters need to have at least some BBO login to post.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#609 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-March-29, 15:23

Isn't that Monday, or is he making a long weekend of it?

#610 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2014-March-29, 17:50

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-March-29, 15:23, said:

http://webutil.bridg...tch.php?id=1960
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#611 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-March-29, 21:01

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-March-29, 15:23, said:

For us older folks, a BM day is a good day regardless.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#612 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-March-30, 22:36

I merged the new thread "More cheaters nailed" in General Bridge Forum into the old thread "Elinescu-Wladow banned" in Offline Bridge.

#613 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-April-08, 15:17

Moved the thread "Would you bid game" from General BBO Forum to General Bridge Forum. There's nothing BBO-specific in the question.

#614 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-April-11, 10:04

A duplicate thread on 'tournament "rules"' was started in both BBO Tournament Discussion and BBO Tournament Directors Forum. I removed the latter, as there are replies in the former.

#615 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-April-24, 13:56

At the risk of repeating myself:

I don't really get it, you carefully document every time a thread has been moved from General Bridge Discussion to General BBO Discussion, but often remain silent when people would be actually interested in hearing a reason for closing a (for better or worse) popular and for most of us, fun thread. What's the point of this thread then?

No one cares if a mod moves a thread from one subforum to another. I thought the idea of this thread was to explain moderating decisions, in order for us to understand what is/is not acceptable. The rules are often unwritten, that is fine, but it would be helpful to write just a few words when threads with tens of replies get closed.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#616 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2014-April-24, 17:58

View Postgwnn, on 2014-April-24, 13:56, said:

No one cares if a mod moves a thread from one subforum to another. I thought the idea of this thread was to explain moderating decisions, in order for us to understand what is/is not acceptable. The rules are often unwritten, that is fine, but it would be helpful to write just a few words when threads with tens of replies get closed.

This might refer to the closing of the Judaism 101 thread, which I closed today. I am not quite as good as Barmar at posting changes in this thread.

Barmar asked my opinion on the thread via private type message, and I had to agree with him that it had run its course, so I just jumped over and closed it. Bad form on my part not to mention its closing here. Also, yesterday I deleted a bunch of duplicate post (there was some kind of posting problems, one post was duplicated six times, others from 2 to 4). I didn't mention those either (seemed redundant.... ) :)

The closing of the thread came after it degraded a good bit. Religion and political discussions are always have potential to get overly personal. Rather than talking about the principals of, say the democratic party, or the Methodist religion, it boils down to talking about democrats or Methodist as people... that personalizes it, and that can lead quickly to problems when a democrat or a Methodist takes exception. So when I saw I threat entitled simply Judaism 101 with the original post concluding that Islam, Judaism and Christianity were all going to merge into one religion, I thought the thread would surely get too personal. Some would clearly disagree with the originals posters view, but surely some would vocally question the original posters sanity or his knowledge (which brings it to a personal level). While the discussion had a chance to be interesting to some, it really was not good... in one place some called one religion's god an "asshole", and one comparing some religion's view of god to "A mafia don". There you go, that will not make any one irate. Then there was raft of post about "shouldn't respond to this:, "wish no one would respond to this", "wish I hadn't responded to this", and the insert silly cartoon responses. ... Human rights got dragged into the thread (off topic), then comment on Israeli human rights issues, then discrimination against religions, the US constitution, the appropriateness of the US war in Iraq over the non-existence of weapons of mass destruction, the list goes on and on, and off topic with some personal insults thrown in... ending with yet another cartoon by our own Barmar

Enough seems to be enough, the thread had clearly run out of any useful discussion and was drifting helplessly into the abyss. I just couldn't bring myself to delete the entire thing, but putting it out of its misery seemed appropriate. Sorry for not posting about it sooner.
--Ben--

#617 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-24, 21:46

View Postinquiry, on 2014-April-24, 17:58, said:

So when I saw I threat entitled simply Judaism 101 with the original post concluding that Islam, Judaism and Christianity were all going to merge into one religion, I thought the thread would surely get too personal. Some would clearly disagree with the originals posters view, but surely some would vocally question the original posters sanity or his knowledge (which brings it to a personal level). While the discussion had a chance to be interesting to some, it really was not good... in one place some called one religion's god an "asshole", and one comparing some religion's view of god to "A mafia don". There you go, that will not make any one irate. Then there was raft of post about "shouldn't respond to this:, "wish no one would respond to this", "wish I hadn't responded to this", and the insert silly cartoon responses. ... Human rights got dragged into the thread (off topic), then comment on Israeli human rights issues, then discrimination against religions, the US constitution, the appropriateness of the US war in Iraq over the non-existence of weapons of mass destruction, the list goes on and on, and off topic with some personal insults thrown in... ending with yet another cartoon by our own Barmar
I was going to ask you if you'd read the thing, but you clearly have, you just saw it very differently. Was the thread reported by anyone as offensive?
The points regarding Yehovah (another offense!) not being the benign wuss your "new testament" paints him to be were actually important to the discussion, and I doubt anyone meant it as an insult.
The derailing was in good fun because it was a thread started by one of the posters who's clearly having a laugh (I don't want to call him a troll because he doesn't seem to try to aggravate us). Also, water cooler.

So, as a participant (which I rarely do, in the water cooler) I'd like to state I wasn't offended by anything that went on in there and didn't mind the derailing. If others feel similarly, perhaps the thread can stay open until someone loses an eye.

#618 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2014-April-24, 22:07

View PostAntrax, on 2014-April-24, 21:46, said:

I was going to ask you if you'd read the thing, but you clearly have, you just saw it very differently. Was the thread reported by anyone as offensive?
The points regarding Yehovah (another offense!) not being the benign wuss your "new testament" paints him to be were actually important to the discussion, and I doubt anyone meant it as an insult.
The derailing was in good fun because it was a thread started by one of the posters who's clearly having a laugh (I don't want to call him a troll because he doesn't seem to try to aggravate us). Also, water cooler.

So, as a participant (which I rarely do, in the water cooler) I'd like to state I wasn't offended by anything that went on in there and didn't mind the derailing. If others feel similarly, perhaps the thread can stay open until someone loses an eye.

Yes someone complained. People complain about a lot of things. Sometimes we take action, sometimes we don't. Sometimes we take action without complaint. However, this one was unusual because we usually take action without consulting anyone else. Like I said on this one, Barmar asked my opinion. I went with the lock down idea. Usually I try to let long running threads (multi-pages) run, because there must be interest. I just thought much of what was in this thread could be posted in the "off-topic" thread or whatever that one is called, since the topic certainly wasn't focused on the premise in the original post. For what it is worth, my middle name is Fisher and I have German jewish great great grand parents who moved to the US and became, of all things, Baptist. So clearly people and groups can move from one religion to others so blending of religious ideas in a global society taking the best of different views is certainly possible. Too bad the discussion couldn't have stayed on that topic. However, this what we did thread is not the place to hash out conternt of other threads. I will leave it for Barmar to decide if locking the thread was too big a step (since I did it, I must think it was ok).
--Ben--

#619 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-25, 00:00

Ben, with all respect, I think you have the priorities wrong. You care whether a watercooler thread is getting off-topic, whether it has run out of useful discussions, whether it generates "insert silly cartoon responses". Yet there is a completely non-sensical thread in the "Expert-Class Bridge" forum with 53 posts.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#620 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-25, 00:11

View Postgwnn, on 2014-April-24, 13:56, said:

I don't see any problem at all with a mod locking a thread about politics or religion without a written explanation. In fact I'd be in favor of moving those sorts of threads into a separate subforum entirely in an effort to prevent them from spreading their AIDS to the rest of the forum.

In a similar vein, can mods be more heavy-handed on posts that simply link to an external page without any accompanying content? I know there's some good poetry that gets linked once in a while, but more often than not the post just ends up fodder for the perpetuation of flaming.
OK
bed

• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook