• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this two different systems? same pair

#1 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-August-25, 21:59

club game:

West opens 1c, and East announces ---"could be short" (known that they dont play some elaborate 1C either/or system, just assumed that with 4 4 3 2 they would choose 1C).

Next hand, East opens 1D...West doesn't announce, and East has 4 4 3 2.

When questioned, after the hand is over, East states that his partner always shows 4D if she opens 1D, but He doesn't.

Am I a moron, or is this an illegal partnership agreement, where two different systems are being played? Be kind and only answer the second part.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#2 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2009-August-25, 22:34

Yes but, it is up to the sponsoring organization to prescribe the convention card rules 40E1

Under ACBL:
TWO IDENTICAL COPIES: Each player is required to have a Convention Card legibly filled out and on the table throughout the session. Both cards of a partnership must be identical.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-August-25, 22:34

I agree with you.

Do they actually have their convention cards filled out differently?

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2009-August-25, 22:35

jillybean, on Aug 25 2009, 11:34 PM, said:

Yes but, it is up to the sponsoring organization to prescribe the convention card 40E1

40E1????...maybe I am a moron

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2009-August-25, 22:39

ok, so if they fill out two different convention cards they can play two different systems?? I didn't see the relevance of the convention card situation, since they both knew what each other does with 4 4 3 2, and it was different.

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2009-August-25, 22:42

No, they must play the same system, as listed on the CC!.
Did you call the director?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2009-August-25, 22:50

didnt call the director because, even though partner would have led a diamond ---maybe on the second auction. against 1N, we would just have scored a different 6 tricks for the same result. Decided at the club level to just maintain peace (right or wrong). Was more interested in whether it was legal.

#8 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2009-August-25, 22:51

Mmmmmooooooorrrre people should call the TD B)
(still learning)

#9 User is offline   jeremy69 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-August-26, 01:34

In England they must play the same system. If they have stylistic differences (and the openings quoted would not be an example of this) such as one of them opening lighter than the other in 3rd seat then this should be disclosed on the convention card.

#10 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2009-August-26, 02:50

While this does seem like different systems, there's often a range and it can hard to determine what's just different styles.

Suppose their CC says that 1 is 3+ and 1 is 2+, and that 4432 hands can open in either minor. If one player really "always" opens 1 and the other "always" 1 on this shape it seems like different systems, but suppose the rule is that a "really good" 3-card diamond suit gets opened and a "really bad" one does not. Now the players use their judgment and this judgment might differ... say one player opens 1 with 4432 unless his diamonds are KQJ or better, and the other player opens 1 with 4432 unless his diamonds are xxx... different system or just style? It can be a pretty tough call.

We played against a pro-client pair recently whose 1NT opening was "13-17" but the client never opens it with 13-14 and the pro frequently does. They had been warned by directors that they need to disclose this (too many instances of pro opening 1NT "15-17" on uninteresting 13-14 counts to try to right side the hands) but now it really seems like they play different systems. Or is it just different styles?
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#11 User is offline   ochinko 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cooking

Posted 2009-August-26, 07:28

Thank you, Adam, for bringing back some sanity into the thread. Different judgement does not necessarily mean different systems.

Playing 15-17 NT I routinely upgrade 14 HCP 5332 hands to 1NT. Should I be barred from playing with partners who would never do that? There are countless other examples.

#12 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2009-August-26, 07:51

awm, on Aug 26 2009, 01:50 AM, said:

While this does seem like different systems, there's often a range and it can hard to determine what's just different styles.

Call me a moron but it seems clear this particular pair arent using judgement, they have a different system.

aguahombre, on Aug 25 2009, 08:59 PM, said:

club game:

When questioned, after the hand is over, East states that his partner always shows 4D if she opens 1D, but He doesn't. 

(still learning)

#13 User is offline   ochinko 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-26, 08:12

Jillybean, there are people who *always* open 1NT with a 5CM, and other who would *never* do that. Are you saying they can't be partners? After all if they say they sometimes do it, that would be the truth, right? B)

I know I have my idiosyncrasies, and most of the people I know have their own. If you insist on full compatibility, the game is doomed.

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-26, 08:14

There is no Law 40E1, and there are no Sponsoring Organizations. The relevant laws are 40A1{b} and 40B2{a}, which latter says in part "[the Regulating Authority (which is the ACBL for ACBL sanctioned games)] may vary the general requirement that the meaning of a call or play shall not alter by reference to the member of the partnership by whom it is made". The regulation goes on to say "Such a regulation must not restrict style and judgment, only method". The ACBL has elected that "Both members of a partnership must employ the same system that appears on the convention card."

In the instant case, if one member of the pair always opens 4=4=3=2 with 1 and the other never does, then they have an illegal agreement, as the ACBL has not elected the option given in the laws to allow a change to the "general requirement" mentioned above. It is possible though, as Adam points out, that for this partnership, it is a matter of style and judgement (doesn't sound like it though). If that is the case, then they have failed to announce "could be short" on the second auction. Even if there was not such a failure, this seems a good case for the ACBL's recommendation that the declaring side, before the opening lead is chosen, offer the defenders a full explanation of their auction. Including, in this case, the style of each player.

40B2{a} also says "[the Regulating Authority] may prescribe a system card with or without supplementary sheets, for the prior listing of a partnership’s understandings and regulate its use".

The ACBL elections in the laws allude to convention cards, but do not state specifically a requirement to have them. That I found in the General Conditions of Contest (item 5 under "Conventions and Convention Cards," which says in part "Each member of a partnership MUST have a completely filled out convention card available for the opponents" and "a. Both cards of a partnership must be identical and include the first and last names of each member of the partnership".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#15 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2009-August-26, 08:21

ochinko, on Aug 26 2009, 07:12 AM, said:

Jillybean, there are people who *always* open 1NT with a 5CM, and other who would *never* do that. Are you saying they can't be partners? After all if they say they sometimes do it, that would be the truth, right? B)

I know I have my idiosyncrasies, and most of the people I know have their own. If you insist on full compatibility, the game is doomed.

AKQJT,xx,xx, AKxx 1nt?

Ok, Im gradualy learning which rules must be followed and which can be ignored.
(still learning)

#16 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2009-August-26, 08:31

Laws of Duplicate Contract Bridge American Edition As Promulgated in the Western Hemisphere by the American Contract Bridge League said:

40E1
The sponsoring organization may prescribe a convention card on which partners are to list their conventions and other agreements and may establish regulations for its use, including a requirement that both members of a partnership employ the same system (such a regulation must not restrict style and judgement, only method).

(still learning)

#17 User is offline   ochinko 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-26, 08:33

jillybean, on Aug 26 2009, 05:21 PM, said:

ochinko, on Aug 26 2009, 07:12 AM, said:

AKQJT,xx,xx, KQxx 1nt?

Ok, Im gradualy learning which rules must be followed and which can be ignored.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I only meant 5332 distributions with 5CM.

AKQJT-xx-xxx-KQx would be more like it, although, as I said, I would open 1NT with
AKQJT-xx-xxx-KJx as well.

But let's say that you agree to play better minor, and in the course of the event you discover that you and your partner understand it differently and with T873 AKJ one of you always open 1, and the other one 1. Do you go to the authorities with a request to be disqualified because of your irresolvable differences?

#18 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-26, 08:41

jillybean, on Aug 26 2009, 10:31 AM, said:

Laws of Duplicate Contract Bridge American Edition As Promulgated in the Western Hemisphere by the American Contract Bridge League said:

40E1
The sponsoring organization may prescribe a convention card on which partners are to list their conventions and other agreements and may establish regulations for its use, including a requirement that both members of a partnership employ the same system (such a regulation must not restrict style and judgement, only method).

You're quoting an obsolete law book. If you look closely, you'll find on the cover or title page that it's the 1997 law book, not the current, 2008 law book.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#19 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2009-August-26, 08:50

blackshoe, on Aug 26 2009, 07:41 AM, said:

jillybean, on Aug 26 2009, 10:31 AM, said:

40E1

You're quoting an obsolete law book. If you look closely, you'll find on the cover or title page that it's the 1997 law book, not the current, 2008 law book.

Youre quite correct, I stand corrected.
(still learning)

#20 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-26, 09:37

blackshoe, on Aug 26 2009, 09:14 AM, said:

In the instant case, if one member of the pair always opens 4=4=3=2 with 1 and the other never does, then they have an illegal agreement, as the ACBL has not elected the option given in the laws to allow a change to the "general requirement" mentioned above.

I don't think this is quite correct. Playing a 5-card Major system, I will sometimes open (in 1st or 2nd seat) 1M with only a 4-card suit. Some partners would not even dream of doing this. Similar considerations apply to 4-card overcalls.

If the auction starts (1C)-1S, are partner and I playing different systems if he will always have 5 spades while I might have 4?

I think the choice of opening 1C or 1D with a 4=4=3=2 hand can well be a "style" thing.

Tim

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users