• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-July-17, 18:03

Scoring: IMP

The opponents bid 1-1-2-2n-3n

5-K-A-4
T-8-7-6
7-5-Q-4

You're up. Standard carding, 4th best leads.

#2 User is offline   ONEferBRID 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-17, 19:57

Too bad you didn't overtake partner's Ten when declarer played the 8.
Don Stenmark ( TWOferBRIDGE )

#3 User is offline   wclass___ 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-18, 00:52

IMO you should simply overtake at 2nd trick and play ..
But now it seems you got another chance to do that.

If so, declarer played more than bad.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..." --sathyab

#4 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-July-18, 04:39

karlson, on Jul 17 2009, 07:03 PM, said:

<!-- FULLHAND begin --><table border=1> <tr> <td> <table> <tr> <td>Dealer:</td> <td> North </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Vul:</td> <td> None </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Scoring:</td> <td> IMP </td> </tr> </table> </td> <td> <table> <tr> <th> </th> <th> <table> <tr> <th class='spades'>♠</th> <td> AQ3 </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='hearts'>♥</th> <td> J4 </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='diamonds'>♦</th> <td> QJT973 </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='clubs'>♣</th> <td> K6 </td> </tr> </table> </th> <th> </th> </tr> <tr> <th> <table> <tr> <th class='spades'>♠</th> <td> 8742 </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='hearts'>♥</th> <td> Q83 </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='diamonds'>♦</th> <td> 82 </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='clubs'>♣</th> <td> J975 </td> </tr> </table> </th> <th> </th> <th> <table> <tr> <th class='spades'>♠</th> <td>  </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='hearts'>♥</th> <td>  </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='diamonds'>♦</th> <td>  </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='clubs'>♣</th> <td>  </td> </tr> </table> </th> </tr> <tr> <th> </th> <th> <table> <tr> <th class='spades'>♠</th> <td>  </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='hearts'>♥</th> <td>  </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='diamonds'>♦</th> <td>  </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='clubs'>♣</th> <td>  </td> </tr> </table> </th> <th> </th> </tr> </table> </td> <td>  </td> </tr> </table><!-- FULLHAND end -->

5-K-A-4
T-8-7-6
7-5-Q-4

Strange where are 3 and 2 ?

It seems to me that partner must have them and tried to fool declarer with returning 10, knowing that declarer would duck.

When the 8 and 7 appeared partner rightly concluded that you could stand a switch to .
You now need to switch back to before the are established.

Declarers hand:

Kxx
A9654
Ax
Q84

Nice defense.

Rainer Herrmann

#5 User is offline   ceeb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-18, 10:41

rhm, on Jul 18 2009, 05:39 AM, said:

karlson, on Jul 17 2009, 07:03 PM, said:

Dealer: North
Vul: None
Scoring: IMP

AQ3
J4
QJT973
K6
Q83
J975

5-K-A-4
T-8-7-6
7-5-Q-4

Strange where are 3 and 2 ?

It seems to me that partner must have them and tried to fool declarer with returning 10, knowing that declarer would duck.

When the 8 and 7 appeared partner rightly concluded that you could stand a switch to .
You now need to switch back to before the are established.

Declarers hand:

Kxx
A9654
Ax
Q84

Nice defense.

Rainer Herrmann

I'm sure you're right about the clubs -- from Q843 declarer can't afford the 8 because it allows a fatal overtake by West when East has A10 doubleton. But I have trouble visualizing declarer's hand. Isn't 2NT non-forcing? Even Kxx,Axxxx,Kx,Q8x seems a bit too strong. So I considered Kxx,Kxxxx,Kx,Q8x, but now the defense is entitled to 3 clubs and 2 red aces routinely, so why would East risk the low heart play? Nor does J10xx, A106x, Ax, Q84 with declarer completely make sense though from East's corresponding Kx,K987,Kxx,A1032 the defensive situation is less clear.

Charles

#6 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-18, 13:54

ceeb said:

from ♣Q843 declarer can't afford the 8 because it allows a fatal overtake by West

This is the inference that escaped me actually. I thought that it wasn't clear what was going on in clubs, and if declarer had a slightly different version of Rainer's proposed hand, say Kx A9xxx Kx Q843, I needed to continue hearts.

This hand is from Kelsey's Killing Defense at Bridge, except he gives partner's hand, and you need to come up with the falsecard of the T, followed by a heart switch. He says something like "partner will reflect upon the missing 2 and 3 of clubs and probably reach the right conclusion." It seemed to me far from clear that partner would do such a thing, as a heart continuation could also be right. Thanks for pointing out the error.

By the way, it was in no way meant as a knock on the book even if the explanation did turn out to be slightly wrong. Kelsey is easily my favorite author.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users