• You cannot reply to this topic

Board-a-Match

#1 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2009-April-17, 07:03

I would like to know if in your country, it is more usual to treat a board with a 10-point difference as a tie or not.

The same question applies for Patton count.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#2 User is offline   tbr 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-April-17, 07:07

No--for Board-a-Match if you get 430 and your teammates defend and their opponents get 420, you won the board. That 10-point difference is not a push the way it is in IMPs. It is either a 1, a half or a zero. That is your invitation to the Reisinger every fall, or the Mixed teams every summer.

I don't know Patton count.

#3 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2009-April-17, 07:14

In my country, 10 points is considered a tie.
We call it point-a-board, however.

#4 User is offline   joker_gib 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-17, 09:44

BAM is unfortunately not played in Belgium (yet) !

When we played BAM at the Pula festival in Croatia 430 vs 420 was winning the board. (if I remember correctly)
Alain

#5 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2009-April-17, 10:11

Alain will you be in Pula this year? I will!
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#6 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-17, 11:44

Wow! Is 20 points tie also or not? I assume not since that's an overtrick in a minor & it counts in IMPs also.

If so, that's absolutely brutal against NT contracts, you lose a full board for 400 vs. 420 but can't get it back for a 430 vs. 420? Or same idea for 110 vs. 90 & 120 vs. 110?

I think this is absolutely bizarre.

#7 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-17, 12:00

Hmm, curious about this, I did some web searching -- the only reference I can see to "10 points = tie" for point-a-board was in context of a tie-breaking procedure of events whose primary scoring method was something else.

The Mind sport olympiad point-a-board in Manchester was scored with the normal 10 pt = win. Although being a world event I suppose that would explain this.

Couldn't find much reference to run-of-the-mill UK only pure point-a-board events, I take it they are close to non-existant?

#8 User is offline   JLOL 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-17, 12:09

?! 10 point ties seems terrible. Is there any greater pleasure in like than +110 into -100 from your teammates? Or the red/red 1NTs where you play it well for +90 but teammates went for 100.

It seems like 10 point ties really makes the game different.

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-17, 12:45

FrancesHinden, on Apr 17 2009, 02:14 PM, said:

In my country, the question of how to score such an event (or what to call it) is largely academic, since they almost don't exist. Point-a-board in the UK is so rare that I can remember all the times (four) that I have played it [edit: in the UK, that is]. Or having I been missing out on something all these years?

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2009-April-17, 16:03

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-17, 12:58

gnasher, on Apr 17 2009, 06:45 PM, said:

In my country, the question of how to score such an event (or what to call it) is largely academic, since they almost don't exist.  Point-a-board in the UK is so rare that I can remember all the times (four) that I have played it.  Or having I been missing out on something all these years?

If you mean have you been missing out on something good, then I would answer that with a very strong "yes".

BAM is the most exciting, fun, and challenging form of the game in my view.

Agree with those who posted that it would be absurd to ignore 10-point differences when scoring BAM.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-17, 13:08

Wikipedia defines "Board-a-Match" as

each hand has equal weight; each hand is won, lost, or tied.
I suppose this leaves open the possibility that the conditions of contest could specify (as do the rules for imp scoring) that a ten point difference is a "tie", but I had never heard of, nor ever considered the possibility of such a rule. It has always been my understanding that BAM means matchpoints, and that matchpoints means that a 10 point difference, indeed any difference at all, is significant and not a tie.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-17, 13:12

Where I have played, 10 points is considered a win at BAM, but a tie in Patton. To me that seems to make sense. (Essentially it means that in Patton you only win the board if you win IMPs on it.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#13 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-April-17, 14:25

In Norway a 10 point difference wins the board both in BAM and Patton.
Kind regards,
Harald

#14 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-17, 14:58

Never heard of Patton before today. It is a bizarre Imp->VP + BAM hybrid? What's the exact ratio used? How does it affect strategy?

#15 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2009-April-17, 15:33

fred, on Apr 17 2009, 07:58 PM, said:

If you mean have you been missing out on something good, then I would answer that with a very strong "yes".

I actually meant, "Have I been missing out on something local?" I normally have to travel about 5000 miles to find an English-speaking BAM, so if Frances tells me that she plays in one every week at her golf club I shall be a bit disconcerted.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#16 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2009-April-17, 16:02

I don't understand the objections to treating a 10-point difference as a tie. Obviously it means that you're playing a different game, but why is it inferior?

In my opinion, the features of BAM that make it better than any other form of scoring are that every deal has equal weight, and that your score is determined solely by what you team and your opponents do. Those advantages apply regardless of how a 10-point difference is scored.

I think that the main effect of ignoring a difference of 10 points is to encourage you to play in the strain where you're going to make most tricks - there's no longer an incentive to play in notrumps instead of a major. It still rewards good cardplay and good game- and slam-bidding. In the spectrum of scoring methods, that puts it slightly closer to IMPs, but I don't see why that makes it "absurd" or "terrible".

#17 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-April-17, 16:05

10 points difference is a point.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#18 User is offline   JLOL 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-17, 16:05

It doesn't reward cardplay as much. I think if I'm in 2D and my teammates went for 100 the trick from 90 to 110 should matter. In this scoring that trick is irrelevant.

It doesn't reward good competitive bidding judgment as much. If I balance over a making 3H and they fail to double me and I go for 100 I should win the board against the other people who didn't balance and went for 110. It doesn't punish the people who failed to double as much.

There are a ton of differences, obviously you can play the game with whatever you want being a tie. Why draw the line at 10 points? How about 30 points is a tie so that overtricks don't really matter too much. I think it's a better game to have the 10 points matter, and that's one of the most fun parts of BAM to me.

I think BAM is about every trick, every point mattering. It's a very hard and precise game with lots of close decisions. If I didn't want that I'd play imps.

#19 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-April-17, 16:15

I think to summarize what Justin said, the point is that it's unnatural (in that someone decided some scoring difference should simply not matter) and arbitrary (in that someone decided 10 points doesn't matter but 20 points does). I agree with him, the point is maybe partly about every board counting equally, but also about every decision on every hand having enhanced potential importance. This other game, for lack of anything else to call it, ruins that a bit.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#20 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2009-April-17, 16:23

Suppose teammates go for -100 and you play 2M which may make 110 or 140 depending on the brilliancy of your play and that of the defence. That overtrick will be rewarded in England (UK?) but not in the rest of the World. So with respect to awarding card play, at the bottom line it doesn't matter much if you use the English or the non-English system I think.

However, if 3NT and 4M take the same tricks then bidding 3NT is not rewarded in England and that sorta defeats the idea of BAM imho.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users