BBO Discussion Forums: dealing machines, Swiss team events - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

dealing machines, Swiss team events how is it done?

#21 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-16, 09:10

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-July-16, 08:56, said:

I'm guessing you mean "Australian movements", but either way I've never heard of them. Can you explain?

Teams retain the same table throughout so only the EW pairs move. Less congestion, everyone has a home table to leave their stuff at and every team has a stationary position for one of their pairs. Minor downsides are that you can't tell who is doing well by looking at the room (need to look at a ranking list) and if you happen to play against a team positioned nearby you might want one table to relocate for the match to avoid overhearing what's happening. As Stefanie indicated, it needs duplicated boards because you won't usually play the same physical set as the other table in the match.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#22 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-16, 09:14

View Postjillybean, on 2016-July-11, 19:18, said:

For those BBO'ers in developed countries, what advancements have happened that I should be aware of?

The thing that really struck me as antiquated playing in New Orleans last year was having to stand in line to register for an event. Every tournament in Australia (including major club events) have pre-entry, usually online. Even if you register at a tournament for an event starting later in the week, you do it beforehand at a separate desk. It's much easier for the directors, who don't have to deal with money, know table numbers, and can ensure the games start on time.

#23 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-16, 09:24

View Postgordontd, on 2016-July-16, 09:10, said:

Teams retain the same table throughout so only the EW pairs move.

Is this particularly Australian? It just seems normal after playing in events with it for so long. Even in major events, tables don't move when they play one next to them - everyone just learns to keep their voices down.

In a recent 9 round swiss event, we played 6 of the 8 adjacent tables (out of a field of 56). Good thing we are fairly quiet. :)

#24 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-16, 10:57

View Postsfi, on 2016-July-16, 09:24, said:

Is this particularly Australian?

Yes. The traditional method was for there to be two sections with the top two teams playing against each other on table 1 of each section and so on down the field. Everyone moved each match.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#25 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2016-July-16, 11:53

We are looking at approximately 60 teams for Swiss events at our Sectionals.

Is the "Australian movement" a software update on the bridge mates? How does this work?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#26 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-16, 16:23

View Postgordontd, on 2016-July-16, 10:57, said:

Yes. The traditional method was for there to be two sections with the top two teams playing against each other on table 1 of each section and so on down the field. Everyone moved each match.

Cool. Both methods were used in Australian tournaments until recently - it seems to have totally died out about 3 years ago. I haven't played much elsewhere lately so I didn't realise we were making another small attempt to change the world.

#27 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-19, 14:48

Hm. Say you have 2N teams, so N matches per segment. Does each match play the same pre-duplicated boards? If you have 2N+1 teams, you'll need a 3-way, with I think two sets of boards, right?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#28 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-19, 14:53

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-July-19, 14:48, said:

Hm. Say you have 2N teams, so N matches per segment. Does each match play the same pre-duplicated boards? If you have 2N+1 teams, you'll need a 3-way, with I think two sets of boards, right?

All matches play the same boards except that 2/3 of the three-way need to have an extra unique half-set of boards. So if you are playing 7 x 8-board matches, the three-way will start with boards 1-8 & 57-60 (you can re-use the 57-60 as long as it's in the same session and no hand records have yet been issued.)
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#29 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-19, 14:55

View Postjillybean, on 2016-July-16, 11:53, said:

We are looking at approximately 60 teams for Swiss events at our Sectionals.

Is the "Australian movement" a software update on the bridge mates? How does this work?

It's a scoring program thing rather than a Bridgemate thing. In EBUScore SwissTeamsScorer it's an option.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users