• You cannot reply to this topic

Woolsey Questions

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-March-05, 00:35

How do you play these sequences:

1. 1N - x(longer m+M) - pass - 2 (pick major)
pass - 2M - pass - 2N / 3m?

2. 1N - x - anything - x

So you agree double is 'cards'. What else does it entail? How strong is it? If 'anything' is a jacoby transfer does dbl show 4 cards in the other major?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   JanM 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-March-05, 01:15

The first one wasn't in our notes, so I asked Chip. He said that 2NT was natural because not defined as anything else, although natural would be pretty unusual (if I wanted to play 2NT why didn't I want to defend 1NT-x?), but might be based on a hand where it wouldn't be good for partner to lead his minor. 3 is Pass or Correct (I don't like your Major, want to play in your minor). 3 is natural (I don't like your Major, want to play in my minor).

The DBLs are in our notes. DBL of a natural 2M shows interest in competing, asks partner to bid with 4 of the other Major, use judgment with 4 of theirs. DBL of a 2, 3 or 4 level transfer shows interest in competing in the Major they haven't shown. We don't specifically say it shows 4, but of course it does. DBL of 2, whatever it means, is Pass or Correct, so I guess that one is similar to your "cards" definition.

I happen to have Kit Woolsey's notes on this as well as my own. He plays 2NT in your first sequence as asking for the minor, and doesn't define 3m. In the second sequence, DBL is Pass or Correct if responder's bid is natural, lead directing if it's artificial.
Jan Martel, who should probably state that she is not speaking on behalf of the USBF, the ACBL, the WBF Systems Committee, or any member of any Systems Committee or Laws Commission.

#3 User is offline   maxentius 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-March-05, 02:31

sry Jan, I don't understand why can't play 2NT as "let's play your minor, don't like your major" and 3m= as natural, my own suit, tried to fit the major...how could you bid with : xx, Axxx, -, KJ109876 when you heard that pd has 4 cards in spade?

how good could be to play 2NT as natural vs. their 1NT oppening in these days when every 2NT seems to be something else then "natural" ?

#4 User is offline   JanM 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-March-06, 01:24

That's certainly reasonable also. Although I think with your example hand, I'd forget about the Major and bid 2!c-2!d-3!c, or maybe just 3!c over the DBL.
Jan Martel, who should probably state that she is not speaking on behalf of the USBF, the ACBL, the WBF Systems Committee, or any member of any Systems Committee or Laws Commission.

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-March-06, 01:28

We agreed 3m in the 1st was "I tried for your major, but missed, so here we are. It is not p/c". Something like a 4-6.

2N says "bid your minor" and implies a balanced hand or maybe a (25)33.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   maxentius 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-March-06, 01:42

seems to be ok

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-March-06, 07:55

Phil, on Mar 5 2009, 06:35 AM, said:

How do you play these sequences:

1. 1N - x(longer m+M) - pass - 2 (pick major)
pass - 2M - pass - 2N / 3m?

2. 1N - x - anything - x

So you agree double is 'cards'. What else does it entail? How strong is it? If 'anything' is a jacoby transfer does dbl show 4 cards in the other major?

1. I do play dbl = 5m + 4M and have subsequent 2NT and 3m bids undiscussed. Hence, they fall into the meta-rule of "natural" <_<

2. Meta-rule again. If "anything" = natural, dbl is take out. If "anything" = transfer, dbl is penalty. Both dbls show a majority of hcp for our side and force our side to bid over or penalize opps (but not higher than that).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users