• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Clear And Present Danger A Tom Clancy Moment for NATO

#1 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2009-January-30, 18:39

A directive ordering Nato commanders to begin directly targeting drug smugglers and heroin factories in Afghanistan is being resisted by senior officers in the country.

The directive, issued by US General John Craddock, the Supreme Allied Commander Europe (Saceur), and leaked to the German news weekly Der Spiegel, orders a significant expansion of the drugs war by Nato forces. It orders that drug smugglers should be attacked even when there is no evidence that their activities are linked to the Taleban insurgency — meaning that Nato forces would for the first time deliberately strike at civilians engaged in purely criminal activity.

Right, wrong, or indifferent?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-January-30, 18:46

Wrong (if true).
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2009-January-30, 18:51

The good boys kicking the bad boys, it looks right, maybe its dangerous as well.

#4 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2009-January-30, 18:58

Lobowolf, on Jan 30 2009, 07:46 PM, said:

Wrong (if true).

I don't know if it is true, either. Here's the original article: http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/...,604183,00.html
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-January-31, 08:01

Good for Ramms and McKiernan! I have a lot of respect for people in the military who refuse illegal orders.

To me, it is pretty obvious that killing people because they are involved in the production of opium and heroin is not part of the ISAF mission. If Craddock thinks it is, he should talk to his bosses. They will certainly set him straight.

Actually, given that this is out in the open, Craddock's bosses should talk to him. If what Der Spiegel writes is true, Craddock should be pulled out immediately.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#6 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2009-January-31, 17:30

Trinidad, on Jan 31 2009, 09:01 AM, said:

Good for Ramms and McKiernan! I have a lot of respect for people in the military who refuse illegal orders.

To me, it is pretty obvious that killing people because they are involved in the production of opium and heroin is not part of the ISAF mission. If Craddock thinks it is, he should talk to his bosses. They will certainly set him straight.

Actually, given that this is out in the open, Craddock's bosses should talk to him. If what Der Spiegel writes is true, Craddock should be pulled out immediately.

Rik

Rik,

I agree. I tend to see this as a shortcut - in other words Cradddock appears to be saying "I can't be bothered with silliness like proving the claims but I am KNOW all this dope money eventually is for the Taliban."

This sounds a great deal to me like the excuses that were used by Dick Cheney. "Everyone knows so-and-so is true."

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2009-January-31, 22:55

"If 'everyone knows' such-and-such, then it ain't so." - R.A. Heinlein
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-01, 07:37

Once the CIA assassinates whoever is trying to get in the way of their covert money supply, it will cease to be an issue.

Maybe one of our military types knows how much leeway a field commander has in determining who is aiding and abetting thus making them an included target.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users