#61 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-December-08, 04:06

arrows, on Mar 14 2009, 11:10 PM, said:

Are the boards duplicated?

I guess not?

when I am still struggling, some other guys already run away with 5000+.

They are indeed not duplicated. This is to avoid cheating.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#62 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-December-08, 10:10

It's so funny reading back at myself bragging about playing 23 or 24 hands. Ever since an upgrade or two to gib I get in 35 to 40 regularly now lol.

Also I made my openings a bit sounder over time. Now I open 18+ balanced NV (sometimes even pass 18) and 16+ balanced vul (sometimes pass 16).
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#63 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-08, 10:22

How many non-passouts? The most I've managed to play is 19. The most deals I've played is 34 (with 17 passouts).

I tend to open balanced hands only if I would accept an invite, so a minimum of 16+-17. But, it is frustrating getting passed out there so I've been thinking about bumping that up a tad.

I read in one thread or another that you sometimes open these ~17-18 point hands 2NT. Are you still doing that?

How is your success now compared to when you had the challenge match with Justin?

#64 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-December-08, 10:37

I don't know how many non-passouts, but there are a lot of passouts.

I think it's completely wrong to upgrade those hands to 2NT. In fact I believe you are thinking of someone else.

My scores are a bit higher now (my highest is 13,280 or something and I've broken 10k several times) but I probably don't come in quite as well. I don't play in nearly as many any more, I play less in general and more ACBLs than robot races. Also I more often play while doing something else, not totally focused on playing as fast as possible like I used to be.

#65 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-08, 12:21

I was referring to this.

#66 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-December-08, 14:57

TimG, on Dec 8 2009, 01:21 PM, said:

I was referring to this.

That comment was facetious (about how I'll never learn), and my bid was both abnormal for me and completely tactical. I believe I was 2272 that hand.

I also mentioned in my first post in this thread that I think it's wrong to upgrade into 2NT in these tournament.

#67 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-08, 15:38

jdonn, on Dec 8 2009, 03:57 PM, said:

TimG, on Dec 8 2009, 01:21 PM, said:

I was referring to this.

That comment was facetious (about how I'll never learn), and my bid was both abnormal for me and completely tactical. I believe I was 2272 that hand.

I also mentioned in my first post in this thread that I think it's wrong to upgrade into 2NT in these tournament.

I hadn't read your first post in this thread (or at least don't remember reading it). I thought you might not have been serious about the 2NT opening, I can't imagine GIB not bidding to a too high level after mis-describing by an Ace, but well sometimes strange things are right in these tournaments.

#68 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-December-08, 22:26

GIB frequently raises 2NT to 3NT with 4 counts, so stretching to open 2NT is clearly a bad idea.

I generally only open 1NT with 16 HCP, majors with 15 HCP, and minors with 15 HCP and something in the majors. I probably should bump those up a point. But it sure gets monotonous passing them out.

What I frequently wonder about this is how confused the GIB defenders get when I pass opening hands, then North opens, and I bid game. GIB deals out hands that are consistent with the bidding, but it doesn't know anything about these psychic passes. Do you think it makes them defend worse, so they're unlikely to find the killing defense if there is one?

#69 User is offline   suokko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:*dreaming*

Posted 2009-December-08, 22:53

Sometimes it looks to me that GIB understands possibility of psyche and plays for distribution that is not possible if biding was correct. But it could be very well just bad defense or declarer play from GIB.

#70 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2009-December-09, 06:40

Funny, my impression is the opposite, that whenever I become declarer after having made a bid that GIB wouldn't have made (like opening 1NT with a 5-card major), it induces defensive mistakes.

This is probably ok though, the reason why it doesn't work as well against humans is that humans are not as good at counting as GIB is. Maybe if I played more against good defenders I wouldn't notice much of a difference, except when playing against humans who knew which of my bids they can't trust.

Of course it can happen that something impossible happens, like partner's count signal being inconsistent with declarer's bidding. Dunno about GIB, but what Jack would do is gradually to decrease the level of reliability of all actions until it finds at least one possible layout. I would expect GIB to do something different. (Newer versions of Jack will learn to distrust humans, i.e. if you generally bid undisciplined it will learn to trust other robots above you, whether as a partner or as opp).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#71 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-December-09, 11:03

Is it possible to speed up the GIBs if you don't subscribe to GIBs?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#72 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2009-December-09, 11:17

You mean for robot reward tourneys? No, there the speed is set by BBO. Otherwise everyone would set them to the highest speed to make their defense as bad as possible.

#73 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-January-11, 16:47

Why, when I go to select Autoplay Singletons is it grayed out and I can't select it?

Nevermind, I got it. :)

This post has been edited by JoAnneM: 2010-January-11, 17:05

Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

#74 User is offline   tmgrl4 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-March-24, 15:49

So...GIB plays Blackwood, but it is RKCB?

Thanks everyone! These posts were great. I am a novice, and playing in the bot tourneys is teaching me a lot (some of it not so good, I am sure).

Also, for Best Hands, are all of the hands played different for all players? Do we all get the same hands? Not so for Random Hands? Robot Reward, too...same hands for all or not?

terri
When I take a fifty-fifty chance, I expect it to come off eight or nine times out of ten.....
The Hideous Hog

#75 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2010-March-24, 16:31

No, ar robot race and robot rewards you get different hands. Except for the robot duplicates, there everyone get the same hands.

#76 User is offline   tmgrl4 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-March-24, 18:00

That's what I thought, too. Except for duplicates, others are different hands. At least once in awhile, I place in the non-duplicates...the pointers here should help too.

The GIB has a lot of benefits to a novice, in that I am beginning to recognize conventions that were only names before. Down-side is that it is 2/1 and I am working on SAYC...building my way into that. Have only played bridge for seven months..retirement treat to myself and I play it all here!
When I take a fifty-fifty chance, I expect it to come off eight or nine times out of ten.....
The Hideous Hog

#77 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-March-26, 00:41

Yes, it's RKCB, with 3014 responses. You can read the robot's CC here:

http://www.bridgebas...ystem_notes.php

Although SAYC is the popular system for pick-up partnerships on BBO, in the real world 2/1 is probably more popular (it's the most common system among tournament players in the US). So it would be a good idea to learn it, and playing with GIB should help.

#78 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-April-18, 15:21

Nowadays my results have been going bad, I am barely breaking even, if at all. I've been wondering if it's because of my opening style being too strict:

-only open 1M if I can (comfortably) bid game over 2M.
-only open 1m if I can (comfortably) reverse/jump rebid over partner's 1 level response.
(i.e. never open 1NT)

The result is that of course I have a higher chance of getting good hands but also that GIB's open in front of me etc. Do you think I'm too strict? What are your favourite requirements at the moment?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#79 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-April-18, 15:46

gwnn, on Apr 18 2010, 04:21 PM, said:

Nowadays my results have been going bad, I am barely breaking even, if at all. I've been wondering if it's because of my opening style being too strict:

-only open 1M if I can (comfortably) bid game over 2M.
-only open 1m if I can (comfortably) reverse/jump rebid over partner's 1 level response.
(i.e. never open 1NT)

The result is that of course I have a higher chance of getting good hands but also that GIB's open in front of me etc. Do you think I'm too strict? What are your favourite requirements at the moment?

I never open 1NT. However, when you have a major suit AND you can invite opposite any rebid AND you are vulnerable then I think it must be right to open. It may still be right non-vulnerable.

(You should clearly open more frequently when you are vulnerable, and when you have the majors - your rules don't seem to reflect that.)
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

#80 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-April-18, 15:54

are you talking about 1M.. 2N rebids? not clear what you mean. If so, of course I open them too
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users