• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RIP Memoriam thread?

#561 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-November-21, 11:09

View Postbarmar, on 2017-November-20, 09:00, said:

Charles Manson is not going to make his next parole hearing, which was scheduled for 10 years from now.

Chuckles is the reason there is a Highway to Hell (an autobahn with no speed limit) and only a Stairway to Heaven
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#562 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2017-December-07, 03:05

Johnny Hallyday : https://en.wikipedia...Johnny_Hallyday

This post has been edited by barmar: 2017-December-07, 10:12
Reason for edit: change to desktop wikipedia link

#563 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-15, 12:21

We lost 2 more today:

Cyrille Regis, one of the pioneering black footballers of the 1970s who most of those who came later acknowledge as changing the climate of racism

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/42687285

And an enchanting voice, Dolores O'Riordan of the Cranberries

https://www.youtube....h?v=6Ejga4kJUts

#564 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-15, 13:16

From Keith Jackson's obit at NYT:

Look around the Big House in the early morn, Keith Jackson said. Feel its emptiness. Then hunker down a while, watch the crowd fill Michigan Stadium, a sea of maize and blue washing over 92 rows of backless benches. Watch the players burst ebulliently from the tunnel. Watch the Michigan Marching Band warm up. They’ve got mommas and daddies as proud as if they were Big Uglies opening holes for scatbacks. Listen to them belt out “Hail! to the conq’ring heroes!” and get chills like those that made Jackson shiver 40 years ago on his first trip here as the University of Washington’s football announcer, a half-dozen years before he went big-time at ABC Sports.

“This is no doubt my favorite place, to see four generations rise up and appreciate it, for the pageantry, the ambience,” said Jackson, standing inside the stadium’s broadcast booth before last Saturday’s game against Penn State. “Michigan has such grandiosity. It has all those all-Americans. You can’t go anywhere without finding a Michigan graduate.”

With retirement from ABC looming after the season, this was the 70-year-old Jackson’s last sojourn to Ann Arbor to call a Michigan game. Nearly three decades since redefining the sound of televised college football with an evocative idiom and a storyteller’s brio, he insists that it is time to see whether the young bucks in his shadow are as talented as they think. “You want to go when it’s time,” he said. “You’re better off if you go a little early.”

Impending retirement has not altered his routine: He studied tape and game notes at home in Sherman Oaks, Calif., wrote in pencil the teaser for the game’s opening sequence, arrived here late Thursday and met the coaches Friday. At one point during Michigan Coach Lloyd Carr’s low-key meeting with Jackson, his booth mate Bob Griese and the sideline reporter Lynn Swann, Carr said, “I don’t see any merit in losing.”

The remark provided Jackson with a chance to quote Fritz Crisler, the former Michigan coach who mentored the young sportscaster. His bourbon-smooth voice mimicking Crisler’s baritone, Jackson said, “Old Fritz, his neck swelling and eyes flashing, would say, ‘What do you propose to do — teach them to lose?’”

The next morning, Jackson drove from his Ypsilanti hotel in a white rental car more than three hours before the noon game time.

“Whoa, it’s a cool day and I’ve never seen this,” he said, seeing traffic back up a quarter-mile from the Interstate 94 exit ramp leading to the stadium.

“Your moment of stress comes when you’re trying to get to the game,” he said. “Last week in Bloomington, we had a blue parking pass to go to the ABC trucks, but this highway patrolman wouldn’t … let … us … go … that … way. I said, ‘I think we’re going — even if we have to run over you.’ ”

Finding the parking lot closest to Michigan Stadium, he prepared to make a left turn. “I’m going in here, so hold your damned taters!” he said.

When he left the car, he clamped a black cap over his silver hair, hoping not to be recognized. He strode along Main Street toward the stadium, wearing a black overcoat, bulling into the breeze like a Big Ugly trampling a nose tackle. His leave-taking was widely noted by fans walking with him or tailgating in the parking lots.

“You are college football to me!” shouted one fan.

“You’re what the game is all about!” called out a second.

“Take a picture with me!” pleaded a third.

“You and I are both retiring,” a policeman told him as he stood at a red light at East Stadium Boulevard. “I’ve got two more weeks.”

“And I’ve got six,” Jackson said.

Jackson quietly offered his gratitude, looking a bit abashed. If he had planned his retirement more meticulously — and not confirmed it publicly before the season — he would have said, “Folks, I’ll see you,” and vanished from public view as soon as he signed off at the conclusion of the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 4.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#565 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-January-15, 14:57

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-January-15, 12:21, said:

And an enchanting voice, Dolores O'Riordan of the Cranberries

Shite!

Got to talk to her briefly a few years back. Lovely woman. Love her music

https://www.youtube....h?v=G6Kspj3OO0s
Alderaan delenda est

#566 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-January-25, 19:47

Ursula K. Le Guin

Posted Image
Image credit via Universe
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#567 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-January-26, 09:47

View Posty66, on 2018-January-25, 19:47, said:

The thing I found weird about the reports of her death was how many reporters left out the "K".

#568 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-February-01, 08:26

Xerox

#569 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-February-03, 11:11

Nicanor Parra, Chilean Voice in an ‘Anti-Poet’ Movement

#570 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2018-February-04, 00:47

View Posty66, on 2018-February-01, 08:26, said:

Adapt or die. Xerox couldn't adapt.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#571 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-February-04, 05:20

View Postblackshoe, on 2018-February-04, 00:47, said:

Adapt or die. Xerox couldn't adapt.

I worked as an IT contractor for Xerox 1995-2001. In 1995 they had only just switched over from their own operating system to Windows (and still used the old one for some internal email because it was better). They seemed to have great research and product, but their vision and marketing left a lot to be desired. I left when the project I was on ended and they fired all their contractors. Apparently this coincided with them finding out one of their most successful executives in a Latin American country was making up his sales figures and everything wasn't as rosy as they thought.

#572 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-February-20, 10:30

Gavin Stamp 1948-2017

There are millions of people who feel deeply about the depredations of the construction industry; who feel deeply about architects wantonly exposing themselves like red-rumped macaques in the hope of attracting central Asian tyrants; who feel deeply about the environmental, social and aesthetic iniquities visited on this increasingly sick, increasingly corrupt little country.

But, as Thom Gunn noted, ‘Deep feeling doesn’t make for good poetry. A way with language would be a bit of a help.’ Most of the millions do not have a way with language. Gavin did have. For poetry substitute polemic; substitute philippic; history; panegyric.

Gavin tirelessly articulated the discontents of the many whose lives are screwed by the cupidity of the few. Architecture and buildings are political. And Gavin was, among much else, a political writer – a political writer in disguise, but a supremely political writer.

Architecture is evidence by which our forebears and their civilisations can be assessed, evidence which the present whiggishly destroys because it believes that it will necessarily do better precisely because it has progressed to become the present. Gavin abhorred this fallacious smugness and fought it as it should be fought – ad hominem. For architecture is not some parthenogenetic miracle. It is the creation of humans – who are to be taken to task. Humans who hide behind wretched ishoos – a gambit by which they unwittingly reduce themselves to automata or even deny their being while at the same time loudly asserting themselves as tectonic Ubermenschen. He was aware that friendship is the greatest corruptor. He didn’t care whether he was liked – which was one of the qualities that made him so likable. He had a duty to himself, a moral as much as an aesthetic duty, to get personal.

His voice remains. His literal voice is unforgettable. His figurative voice – the style, which is the man himself in Buffon’s apothegm – is stalled but it is vitally there to be heeded so long as we retain an appetite for scholarship, an appreciation of justified indignation, and a taste for scrupulous adherence to the truth.

#573 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-February-21, 10:48

Evangelical minister Billy Graham

#574 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-February-22, 08:59

View Postbarmar, on 2018-February-21, 10:48, said:

Posted Image
Billy Graham was against segregation but it makes one wonder does one really think heaven has a Jim Crow feel to it?

#575 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-February-22, 10:10

View Postbarmar, on 2018-February-21, 10:48, said:

I remember watching his television sermons in the 1950s. A WaPo obit cleared up some confusion for me. Back then I first thought that it was a local program, but soon I heard that it was national. From the WaPo article I see that he was based in Minneapolis (I was in St. Paul) so he was, I guess, a locally based person with a national show. The article also mentions that he was connected to The First Baptist church Minneapolis. I have been in that church. Some Christmas choral program, Bach I suppose. Very good, as I recall.

I was amused to find other connections. He was raised as a Presbyterian, as was I. In his younger years he sold Fuller brushes door to door, when I was 17 I sold Watkins products door to door. Our adult paths took different directions. Obviously.
Ken

#576 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2018-February-23, 07:18

Great article in the Dallas Morning News this AM about how Townes Van Zandt wrote Pancho and Lefty amidst Graham's 1972 "Explo".

https://www.dallasne...ts-pancho-lefty
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#577 User is offline   el mister 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-March-02, 03:11

Toys R Us UK met the Great Divider yesterday - I believe the parent US company has also been touching cloth for some time.

The UK High St is being squeezed remorselessly by the giant online retailers, so usually it's sad to see these businesses fold under the pressure. Suspect few tears will be shed for Toys R Us, though - dead business model, dreadful stores filled with plastic landfill shite. Like ordering something on amazon then driving to the warehouse to pick it out yourself.

#578 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-March-02, 10:24

Toys R Us filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the US and Canada last September, and expects to close about half its US stores this spring. They haven't had a profit in any of the last 4 years.

https://en.wikipedia...2_Us#Bankruptcy

#579 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-March-04, 13:26

Roger Bannister who, it is reported, succumbed in a record time of 3:59.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#580 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-March-05, 15:17

Trevor Baylis http://www.bbc.co.uk...3290756?SThisFB

• 49 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users