• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RIP Memoriam thread?

#401 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-19, 11:08

The new celestial supergroup just gained a drummer http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-35342699

What with Lemmy on bass/vocals, Frey on guitar and Bowie on vocals could be good.

#402 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-January-26, 14:14

Marvin Minsky, one of the pioneers in the field of Artificial Intelligence, died on Sunday at the age of 89.

I think this is the first person in this thread who I knew personally, although not very well. When I was a freshman at MIT, I think I once went to a party at his home.

#403 User is offline   ylee 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-January-29, 23:03

My good friend and BBO player BozoBus lost his heroic battle with pancreatic cancer on Feb. 25 2015..Not a day goes by that I do not remember him. Next month will be the one year anniversary of his passing. He loved to play bridge and taught me a lot.

#404 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2016-February-09, 08:50

Artur Fischer, Inventor With More Patents Than Edison, Dies at 96
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#405 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-13, 16:43

Justice Antonin Scalia, Who Led a Conservative Renaissance on the Supreme Court, Is Dead at 79
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#406 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-February-13, 18:13

It is hard to stop smiling at this somber occasion.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#407 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-February-13, 19:23

View PostWinstonm, on 2016-February-13, 18:13, said:

It is hard to stop smiling at this somber occasion.

It is said that his best friend was Ruth Ginsberg; most ahve said he was a fine person. You are a bucket of spit.

#408 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-February-13, 22:12

This looks as if it has legs, maybe it could be moved? I think in RIP it may be fair to indicate bad qualities as well as good, but a political debate should go elsewhere.
Ken

#409 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-February-13, 22:38

Too soon for this discussion, too soon.

jShocking and sad and yes many political factors but too soon.

#410 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-February-14, 04:44

A friend of mine posted this on FB in answer to some of the discussions above.

https://www.facebook...8926045/?type=3

with the comment

I had someone ask why I could not give condolences or respect for Justice Scalia upon his passing. This decision, and his opinion on it, is the reason why. In that moment, he demonstrated that he did not warrant nor deserve sympathy upon his passing - for he actively sought to deny that to others.

I think this sums the argument up fairly well.

#411 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-February-14, 07:10

When remembering Scalia, the following quote seems apropos: "And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country's planted thick with laws from coast to coast — man's laws, not God's — and if you cut them down — and you're just the man to do it — d'you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then?"

Scalia had no respect for precedence or stare decisis. In turn, this is why his own decisions are built on sand...
Alderaan delenda est

#412 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-14, 11:02

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-February-14, 07:10, said:

In turn, this is why his own decisions are built on sand...

Hrothgar, I don't care whether his decisions were built on jello. The man just past away. IMNSHO, this is neither the place nor the time.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#413 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-14, 11:14

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-February-14, 04:44, said:

A friend of mine posted this on FB in answer to some of the discussions above.

https://www.facebook...8926045/?type=3

with the comment

I think this sums the argument up fairly well.

For those who don't follow links, the quotation, attributed to Scalia, is: "Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached."

Interesting that I cannot find any source for this supposed quotation, let alone a context for it. Some say a speech, but no one knows where or when. Maybe your friend can solve the problem?

Also interesting that the statement, whether Scalia's or imaginary, could reasonably turn up in a rarified discussion of the law of criminal appellate procedure and /or SCOTUS' responsibility to promulgate the FRCr.P.

#414 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-February-14, 12:23

View PostFlem72, on 2016-February-14, 11:14, said:

For those who don't follow links, the quotation, attributed to Scalia, is: "Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached."

Interesting that I cannot find any source for this supposed quotation, let alone a context for it. Some say a speech, but no one knows where or when. Maybe your friend can solve the problem?

Also interesting that the statement, whether Scalia's or imaginary, could reasonably turn up in a rarified discussion of the law of criminal appellate procedure and /or SCOTUS' responsibility to promulgate the FRCr.P.

It looks like it's a paraphrasing of a longer judgment. To me having read the original, I think the paraphrasing is fair, but it could do with a bit of context.

#415 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-14, 12:41

View PostFlem72, on 2016-February-14, 11:14, said:

This is from the 1993 case Herrera v. Collins, and the actual text of Scalia's concurring opinion, provided by SCOTUS, can be found here: http://www.supremeco...lumes/506bv.pdf .

#416 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-14, 12:43

View Postkenberg, on 2016-February-13, 22:12, said:

This looks as if it has legs, maybe it could be moved? I think in RIP it may be fair to indicate bad qualities as well as good, but a political debate should go elsewhere.

I've moved the posts about SCOTUS, but not specifically about Scalia, to a new thread.

#417 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-14, 14:31

View PostBbradley62, on 2016-February-14, 12:41, said:

This is from the 1993 case Herrera v. Collins, and the actual text of Scalia's concurring opinion, provided by SCOTUS, can be found here: http://www.supremeco...lumes/506bv.pdf .

ty

#418 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-February-19, 12:11

Harper Lee, author of To Kill a Mockingbird
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#419 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-February-19, 19:09

Umberto Eco. I am not a fiction reader but "The name of the rose" made me make an exception. A truly great author.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#420 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-20, 03:50

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-February-19, 19:09, said:

Umberto Eco. I am not a fiction reader but "The name of the rose" made me make an exception. A truly great author.

ugh :( He was more than a fiction writer, one of my favorites if not THE

• 49 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users