• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RIP Memoriam thread?

#381 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2015-July-10, 09:06

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-July-07, 20:19, said:

And he went well before his time. He was a good friend a few years back, and his systems live on in Manchester.

#382 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-July-10, 09:30

View PostRMB1, on 2015-July-10, 08:35, said:

From that BBC link: "I'd rather be playing bridge than making a bad movie".

Although WIkipedia quotes him as saying in 2006:

I've stopped altogether. I decided I didn't want to be a slave to any passion any more except for my work. I had too many passions, bridge, horses, gambling. I want to live a different kind of life, be with my family more because I didn't give them enough time.

#383 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-July-10, 10:52

This afternoon around 5 pm I was in a doctor's practice. Through the radio in the room I felt Chuck Berry singing Johnny Be Good . At 5 news radio: "Mourning in the movie business: is dead Omar Sharif". Besides his fascinating presence in "Dr. Zhivago" which gave him great success we have to remember that him created the" Omar Sharif Bridge Circus " where professional players turned the world to see how they played bridge at some good level. He will miss a lot.

#384 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-15, 08:03

Michael Masser, Composer

From his obituary:

“I was working as a stockbroker in New York and had the seemingly perfect life,” Mr. Masser told The Chicago Sun-Times in 1988. That life included an office atop the Pan Am Building, a nine-room apartment and a farm in Vermont. “But I was unhappy, and someone I knew convinced me to see a shrink. I walked in and told the doctor I wanted to write music.

He said, ‘What’s the problem with that?’

I told him that didn’t go over well in my family. He listened, took my money and said: ‘Here’s a note of permission to write music".

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#385 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-08, 06:52

Frances Oldham Kelsey

I confess I had forgotten her, but my older daughter was born in 1961. Thalidomide was a very big deal back then.

As the story makes clear, she was quite remarkable. I am sure that many parents are very grateful for her successful efforts.
Ken

#386 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2015-August-08, 08:05

Ms. Kelsey was assigned to review the application for thalidomide, a morning sickness drug, a month after she joined the FDA in 1960. Despite "glowing claims for safety and effectiveness", widespread popularity among pregnant women in Canada and Europe where it had already been approved (it was developed in West Germany) and tremendous pressure from the drug company which included complaints to her bosses of petty bureaucratic delays, Ms. Kelsey, who understood that some drugs are capable of passing through the placental barrier and affecting fetus development, refused to approve the drug without sufficient evidence of its safety at a time when such approvals were often routine.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#387 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2015-September-20, 10:54

The Forgotten Battalion

“The death of my brothers consumes me,” Mr. Guerrero said between breaths. “It gives me this dark energy. I don’t know what to do, so I run. I run all the time. I pray I never run out of trails to run.”

#388 User is offline   Thiros 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Greek fire, Damascus steel, Linear A

Posted 2015-September-23, 13:43

Yogi Berra takes the final fork in the road

#389 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-November-25, 09:57

Surprised nobody posted this one even though it happened a week ago

Jonah Lomu https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Jonah_Lomu

We're used to the fast 6'5" wide receiver in the NFL, he was the man that introduced this to Rugby union as the first wing of this sort of build (he weighed around 260 pounds). He burst on the scene for many people destroying England with 4 tries in a world cup semi final in 1995. He also was rarely fully fit due to a chronic kidney complaint that necessitated a transplant, making his achievement all the more remarkable.

#390 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2015-December-08, 16:15

Holly Woodlawn, Transgender Star of Underground Films, Is Dead at 69

Ms. Woodlawn had been in the outer orbit of the Factory, Andy Warhol’s studio headquarters, when she caught the attention of Paul Morrissey, Warhol’s partner in making experimental films like “Chelsea Girls” and “Flesh.” Mr. Morrissey cast her in “Trash” as the long-suffering paramour of a heroin addict who lives in squalor on the Lower East Side, played by Joe Dallesandro.

Her sassy, improvised dialogue and her vulnerability touched audiences and critics, many of whom were desperate to find a glint of redeeming light in a relentlessly sordid film. “Holly Woodlawn, especially, is something to behold,” Vincent Canby wrote in his review for The New York Times, “a comic book Mother Courage who fancies herself as Marlene Dietrich but sounds more often like Phil Silvers.”

Ms. Woodlawn was born Haroldo Santiago Franceschi Rodriguez Danhakl on Oct. 26, 1946, in Juana Díaz, P.R., the child of a Puerto Rican mother and an American soldier of German descent who fled the marriage almost immediately after the wedding.

In New York, where she had moved to find a better-paying job, Ms. Woodlawn’s mother married a Polish immigrant, Joseph Ajzenberg, a waiter at the Catskills resort where she was working as a waitress. The three moved to Miami Beach, where Mr. Ajzenberg found work at the newly opened Fontainebleau hotel. Haroldo took his stepfather’s surname and Americanized his first name to Harold.

At 16, Harold left home and hitchhiked to New York, a moment memorialized in the 1972 Lou Reed song “Walk on the Wild Side.”

From Guy Trebay's Remembering Holly Woodlawn, a Transgender Star of the Warhol Era

“You can’t take everything too heavy in life,” Holly [once said to me], musing aloud about how she would attend memorial services for Mr. Reed when she hardly had bus fare. “Listen, you have to have a real sense of humor to get through this life,” she said then. “I mean, honey, get real.”

Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo

#391 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-December-19, 16:17

Jimmy Hill, a man who did absolutely everything in British domestic football.

Player
Manager
Players' union chief that negociated the end of the maximum wage
Club director
TV pundit/analyst (plus some controller roles)
Caused the introduction of the "3 points for a win" points system
Built the first all-seater stadium in the UK
Linesman (he was at a match as a spectator when the referee was injured, a linesman replaced the ref and they needed a qualified ref which he was to run the line)

He has left a huge legacy in football and will be sadly missed

#392 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-December-28, 19:11

Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemmy

I saw Motorhead a few times in concert and listened to a fair bit of Hawkwind in my student days, he will be sadly missed.

#393 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-29, 09:13

Meadowlark Lemon, "Clown Prince" of Harlem Globetrotters, dead at 83

http://www.cbsnews.c...ers-dead-at-83/

#394 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2015-December-29, 16:29

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-December-28, 19:11, said:

Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemmy

I saw Motorhead a few times in concert and listened to a fair bit of Hawkwind in my student days, he will be sadly missed.

I used to play "Iron Fist" on the bass when I was 14.

#395 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-03, 11:15

Michel Delpech, French singer, composer and actor.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#396 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-January-11, 01:10

Legendary Artist David Bowie Dies at 69

#397 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2016-January-11, 07:55

Posted Image Photo: Rolling Stone

Stardust Memories: Reflections on a life of wit and style by Kurt Loder April 1987

Lay me place and bake me Pie
I'm starving for me Gravy
Leave my shoes, and door unlocked
I might just slip away
Just for the Day, Hey!
Please come Away, Hey!

Nothing Remains: David Bowie's Vision of Love by Simon Critchley. Talk about leaving it all on the field.

Iggy Pop on David Bowie.

#398 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-January-14, 23:12

Alan Rickman star of Die Hard and Harry Potter movies

#399 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-January-18, 19:39

Glenn Frey - founding member of The Eagles. There's gonna be a heartache tonight, I know.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#400 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-January-19, 10:50

How are Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger doing, health-wise? They're both in their mid 70's.

• 49 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users