BBO Discussion Forums: response to negative dbl at 3 level - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

response to negative dbl at 3 level

Poll: your response (25 member(s) have cast votes)

your response

1. pass (6 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

2. 3 spades (12 votes [48.00%])

Percentage of vote: 48.00%

3. 3 NT (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

4. 4 clubs (5 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

5. 4 diamonds (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   frouu 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-November-12, 16:21

Scoring: IMP

pass - (pass) - 1 - 3
dbl** - (pass) - ???

**9-12 4+

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2008-November-12, 16:43

3. Hope we don't wind up in a 3-3 fit.

#3 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2008-November-12, 17:43

At MPs, I might pass and try for +200 and such. At IMPs, no way in heck.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#4 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-November-12, 18:29

3. Not too happy about it, but at least heart ruffs can come in the short trump hand.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2008-November-12, 18:39

3 No second choice at any form of scoring. Passing (presumably only at mps) is too hard on my stomach, and not good for partnership discipline even if it works.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2008-November-12, 19:09

No passed hand forces a decision at 3 or higher opposite a third-seat opening without diamond support, and probably five of them at that.

A typical hand might be Axxx xxx AQxxx x.

Or so.

So, 4 for me.

I think a pass fails a lot when Declarer has a stiff diamond, and I think 3NT is shy one trick.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#7 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2008-November-12, 19:22

4C seems clear cut.

Partner will bid 3S with 5S and 3D. So either hes got short D or hes got 3/4S. Both case tell me that 4C will play better. Over 4C he can bid 4S to show 5S and C support and a maximum.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#8 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-November-12, 19:34

kenrexford, on Nov 12 2008, 08:09 PM, said:

No passed hand forces a decision at 3 or higher opposite a third-seat opening without diamond support, and probably five of them at that.

Or so.

So, 4 for me.

I think a pass fails a lot when Declarer has a stiff diamond, and I think 3NT is shy one trick.

So if you held that hand with the minors reversed you would pass?? Or is it that you think partner would pass if you rebid 4???

I know you like being weird for the sake of being weird, and generally it doesn't bother me. But sometimes it's nice to say something that will cause people to take your opinion seriously as well!
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#9 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2008-November-12, 20:09

jdonn, on Nov 12 2008, 08:34 PM, said:

Or so.

So, 4 for me.

So if you held that hand with the minors reversed you would pass?? Or is it that you think partner would pass if you rebid 4???

I know you like being weird for the sake of being weird, and generally it doesn't bother me. But sometimes it's nice to say something that will cause people to take your opinion seriously as well!

The problem hand you mention is Axxx xxx x AQxxx?

Yes. I would pass. Actually, I probably would open that hand, so I'd need a little less for my call. Maybe only the club Jack. Then, I'd definitely pass.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#10 User is offline   maggieb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Sewing, Cooking, and Square Dancing!

Posted 2008-November-12, 20:40

kenrexford, on Nov 12 2008, 09:09 PM, said:

jdonn, on Nov 12 2008, 08:34 PM, said:

Or so.

So, 4 for me.

The problem hand you mention is Axxx xxx x AQxxx?

Yes. I would pass. Actually, I probably would open that hand, so I'd need a little less for my call. Maybe only the club Jack. Then, I'd definitely pass.

Why do you think it is reasonable to be this pessimistic in this sort of auction? Even if partner doubles back in, you are in a worse position than if you had just doubled and shown your hand. If partner passes it out, it could be a disaster.

Also I don't understand why you say you would open the hand, it is clearly not an opening bid in a modern 2/1 style. Maybe it is an opening bid in whatever system or style you like to play, but that's just not the question.

Yes, passing could work; RHO could be heavy and this could be a misfit, but anyway, your opponents will have a hard time doubling you on this kind of auction when it is right. I would rather lose a few partscore battles than think myself unlucky whenever partner has a "perfecto" with 4 spades!
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. :)

#11 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-November-12, 20:48

As I said, he likes being weird for the sake of being weird. It's the same concept as telling a little white lie, when you then have to resort to bigger and bigger lies to try and save face (I'm not saying he is lying, merely using an analagous situation). When he claims some absurd nonsensical bid, then he has to run with it no matter what other ridiculous conclusions it would have him reach (such as not making a negative double with that hand) because otherwise he might have to admit that the best actions were normal.

If you continue to take him seriously, it's like blowing on a fire that is too big to blow out, you will only make it burn for even longer. Better to just walk away and let it slowly fizzle out.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#12 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2008-November-12, 22:55

negX= 4+ and 9-12..so 3 for me noting PD can ruff in the short hand if needed.

4m bids don't come close to appealing to me here.

#13 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2008-November-13, 02:48

neilkaz, on Nov 13 2008, 01:55 PM, said:

negX= 4+ and 9-12..so 3 for me noting PD can ruff in the short hand if needed.

4m bids don't come close to appealing to me here.

I agree that the 4 of a minor bids are not appealing.

But pass 3 NT and 3 Spade are no good choices either.

I think that 3 Spade is the best of all the bad calls.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#14 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2008-November-13, 07:11

jdonn, on Nov 12 2008, 09:48 PM, said:

As I said, he likes being weird for the sake of being weird. It's the same concept as telling a little white lie, when you then have to resort to bigger and bigger lies to try and save face (I'm not saying he is lying, merely using an analagous situation). When he claims some absurd nonsensical bid, then he has to run with it no matter what other ridiculous conclusions it would have him reach (such as not making a negative double with that hand) because otherwise he might have to admit that the best actions were normal.

If you continue to take him seriously, it's like blowing on a fire that is too big to blow out, you will only make it burn for even longer. Better to just walk away and let it slowly fizzle out.

Let's see.

The problem from OPENER's standpoint in this actual situation is that OPENER, looking at a primed-out 13-count with perfect shape is really worried about what call to make, as everything seems doomed to go down. This is with a hand that is almost good enough to reopen with a double.

I'm not sure, then, why Responder would need to make a call with 4315 shape. If Responder could not open, then he has a hand weak enough where Opener will reopen enough when being in the auction is right.

Where Responder is weaker in HCP but nonetheless needs to bid, his diamonds are longer.

Call this weird if you want. But, I'd bet that running a simulation, Opener will pass opposite a 4315 pass for a bad result less often than passing the auction out would be right.

Now, had you suggested that Responder might have 4135 shape for his double, I'd buy that. Responder probably should stretch to double when he has shortness in the heart suit. If that were the case, then 4 has merit. However, looking at a doubleton heart, I don't buy it. I think the more likely scenario on this hand is the other, and I would not want to have a 4-P-4 sequence because the risk of a double is higher. Give Opener 2344 shape, and 4 stands out more.

-P.J. Painter.

#15 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2008-November-13, 18:11

4D is just dumb but im pretty sure 4C is a better bid than 3S.

Partner hands could be

4/5, 5/4, 4/6, 4/4 in the blacks.

4/4, 4/5 in S+D. Note that 4S and 3D without 4C is highly unlikely since that would mena having 3H.

With most 6S hands he would open or preempt.
With all 5S+3/4 D hands he would bid 3S.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users