Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Appeals Committee Advice requested

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2008-November-11, 21:43

Hi, I was asked to be a part of an appeals committee for the first time, deciding a case that will have an impact on the end result of an important local event. I'm hoping to ask you guys with more experience what my responsibilities are as a member of the 3 person committee, and maybe things I should and should not do to prepare.

I was told that I was going to be sent the hand record and the auction via e-mail sometime soon so I could be familiar before the hearing, but given little other instruction.
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2008-November-12, 03:00

Hi CS,

I'm not 100% certain, but I strongly belive that there will be a chairman in this committee. She/he will guide you, and more importently, take responsebilety for protocol.

There will also be a tournament director, who can give advice on the rules.

So focus on the "bridge-aspect" of the game.

For instance, if a play or bid is being questioned, consider what the normal play/bid would be, taking all factors into carefull consideration.

At least this is how things work in Europe, but I suspect it would be the same in the US. I dont know if you're from USA, just mentioning this in case you are.

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#3 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2008-November-12, 04:51

I can only tell you the way things work in England, where I frequently chair ACs.

The short answer is that you don't need to do any preparation, because you have been asked to sit on the committee for your bridge knowledge & judgement.

It is the TD's job to explain the relevant Laws to you, if required. It is the chairman's job to manage the discussion and make sure the right questions are asked. If this is a face-to-face AC, when you get to discussing between yourselves, the chairman should explain what the issue is and ask clear questions, such as how you think the play would have gone in an alternative contract/what you think the possible alternative calls are/what a hesitation actually suggests to partner/is a possible line irrational, or just careless etc

General advice:

- Don't be afraid to ask questions about the players systems, their past experience, their general standard, exactly what questions/alerts happened when, how the play went at the table, or anything else that you think is relevant.

- If either of the pairs involved are close friends or frequent team-mates, don't sit on the appeal.

- You can't help but know that the AC will determine the result of the event, but if you can, try not to know what the margin is. It's very hard to give an impartial ruling if you know exactly what ruling will have what effect on the result.

- The chairman will try and get the committee to agree on the ruling, but if you really strongly disagree you can insist on having a dissenting opinion noted (although that won't change the result, the chairman has the final say).

- If, after the committee has decided, anyone wants to talk to you further about the case, just say that the AC discussions are confidential and you cannot discuss it. Suggest they ask the chairman or the TD to explain the ruling in further detail if required, but exactly what each AC member thought/voted is not disclosed.

#4 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2008-November-12, 06:09

An Appeals Committee (AC) is no different from a Court of Justice. The AC-members are the judges, the tournament director (TD) states the facts as presented to him at the table, why he has made the ruling he has (referring to various laws), and in turn the two parties get the chance to express themselves.

The "judges" will often ask questions in order to get clarification regarding issues they need to know before a decision (verdict) is made. When there are no more questions, both sides will be asked if they have anything further to add.

Then they leave the room and the deliberation among the AC-members begins. At some point a verdict has been reached, and the TD is informed. He will then pass that ruling to the team captains.

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#5 User is offline   H_KARLUK 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-November-12, 12:08

Hello,

I tried to work in The Appeals Committee on many fields of life. Sometimes in chess, bridge and sailing.

In Bridge game, general approach in many countries The Appeals Committee considers and decides appeals.

But in other fields they also answers questions. Staff Disciplinary Appeals Committee is a must - in my opinion in all fields of life - anyway yet i did not see any example for Bridge Game either live or online.

Traditionally, someone thinks like me and might expect inappropriate laws should be re-written. Sometimes I see fine samples. Whatever ruled, I think every fair AC should post each detail on Internet. This gives a chance to check it anytime.

Then the question comes. Are there Chairman Emeritus, President, Vice Chairman with regular members and their decision is final?

When I worked in my area I bothered such things :
1)Players expected to do every excellent manouvres - which is not fair and realistic.
2)While impossible to put a camera that records each moment tick by tick how come AC members expected to rule for tempo break?
3)I still have no idea why my some AC did not try to discuss Laws but followed blindly.

Anyway, I suggest you to surf what th others classically do in many different countries and remember this interesting quote :
"It is the spirit and not the form of law that keeps justice alive.--Earl Warren"

Sincerely
Hamdi
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. Quoted by Albert Einstein.

#6 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2008-November-12, 22:50

Thank you all, very much appreciated.
Chris Gibson

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users