• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2008-May-19, 02:20

Partner opens a 14-16 NT. You pick up

xx KQJ9x KQx AQx.

1NT-2

which shows a maximum with 4(5) card support and a weak doubleton in spades. This is a new partner, a new system, but you remember discussing this sequence, even though it had never came up in practice bidding.

and apologies for posting lots of these (perhaps for some, non-)problems. Just got back from weekend 1 of trials for Beijing, we lie 3rd of 15 after 4/12 sessions, first 3 to qualify.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2008-May-19, 02:33

What's the question? If it shows a weak doubleton in S it looks like you will make 11 tricks, or is it that you don't trust your partner, even though the points don't add up? :rolleyes:
Personally I would just bid 6 and discuss it againg after.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-19, 02:37

I guess partner thinks Qx is weak (and that's assuming he's willing to show a max with 15)
Wayne Somerville

#4 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2008-May-19, 02:48

Really you are saying is it more likely that
i) partner has forgotten the system, or
ii) partner has "exactly" Qx A10xx AJ10xx KJ (if that's a NT opening for you) and has decided to call it a maximum.

I can't answer that, it depends on your partner... but personally, I would always go for (ii) unless I have strong evidence from earlier games that partner tends to forget this kind of thing

#5 User is offline   andy_h 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2008-May-19, 03:22

So are we guessing now if partner has forgotten or Qx can be counted as a weak doubleton? I tend to trust partner as I don't want to try to cater for him forgetting or not. However, if he is a partner that doesn't think too deep and we do cue up the line, maybe I can re-transfer then cue 4C and the only thing he would think is that we've denied a spade control? Just a random thought...
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.

#6 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-19, 03:56

Partner could have:

Jx
ATxxx
AJT
KJT

Wouldn't that be a maximum with a small doubleton spade?

I will play him for that hand and bid 4.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#7 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2008-May-19, 04:13

which shows a maximum with 4(5) card support and a weak doubleton in spades. This is a new partner, a new system, but you remember discussing this sequence, even though it had never came up in practice bidding.

Rule #1: Partner never forgets the system. I bid 4.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2008-May-19, 04:21

Seems like one of those high hcp hands were we're missing AK in a suit. Well done, system: 4.

#9 User is offline   brianshark 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2008-May-19, 05:30

Agree with settling for 4. Also, good luck in trials. Hope to see you there.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

#10 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2008-May-19, 08:32

Everyone forgets things. 4 is tantamount to saying, "if we miss six, it's YOUR fault". Looking at our hand its possible pard has his bid, but also likely he forgot.

I would take things a little slower. If pard cue spades at some point, does that cancel the true meaning of 2, do you think?
"Phil" on BBO

#11 User is offline   ASkolnick 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-19, 09:20

Can someone explain to me how you are allowed to assume your partner forgot system. Isn't that a violation in system or an implicit agreement in itself?

Because you are then not following agreement.

#12 User is offline   brianshark 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2008-May-19, 09:29

It's ok to assume that your partner has made a mistaken bid (basically an accidental psyche) if it is bridge logic that guides you to realising his misbid.

Bridge logic, in this case, is adding up the points which reveals he is unlikely to have a maximum 14-16 NT and have a small doubleton in spades. Another example would be that if partner opened 1 which shows 5+ and you are holding 10 spades in your own hand, you are allowed to know and bid on the assumption that partner has psyched.

If however you suspected he didn't have his bid because of hesitation or a history of partner making similar bidding mistakes, that would be illegal.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

#13 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2008-May-19, 09:58

ASkolnick, on May 19 2008, 07:20 AM, said:

Can someone explain to me how you are allowed to assume your partner forgot system. Isn't that a violation in system or an implicit agreement in itself?

Because you are then not following agreement.

I hold 8 clubs and little else. Partner opens 4. We used to play NAMYATS, but we both agreed to drop it from the card a few weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure you are allowed to figure this one out.
"Phil" on BBO

#14 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-19, 10:15

I think this "maximum" thing is being taken too far. A super accept should not be an amazing 14 count, or an average 16 count. It should be 16 that is really good, so good that you fear missing game if you don't super accept. It is possible with 15 but only barely and then it would have to be sickeningly good. We are missing 13 outside spades and the QJ of spades, such a hand with a weak doubleton in spades is simply impossible. I don't know what to do since there are many possibilities (he thought it showed good spades, he thought we transfered to spades) but the one thing I know is I don't believe partner.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#15 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2008-May-21, 01:32

of course partner had

AKx
ATxxx
Axx
xx

of course there were noobs in grand and of course is on. hehe. I bid 4.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#16 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2008-May-21, 02:58

pclayton, on May 19 2008, 03:58 PM, said:

We used to play NAMYATS, but we both agreed to drop it from the card a few weeks ago.

You have seen the light!

#17 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-21, 03:39

brianshark, on May 19 2008, 10:29 AM, said:

It's ok to assume that your partner has made a mistaken bid (basically an accidental psyche) if it is bridge logic that guides you to realising his misbid.

Bridge logic, in this case, is adding up the points which reveals he is unlikely to have a maximum 14-16 NT and have a small doubleton in spades. Another example would be that if partner opened 1 which shows 5+ and you are holding 10 spades in your own hand, you are allowed to know and bid on the assumption that partner has psyched.

If however you suspected he didn't have his bid because of hesitation or a history of partner making similar bidding mistakes, that would be illegal.

There is no such thing as an accidental psych. Psychic bid are deliberate gross deviations from agreed system. Misbids, mispulls, or forgetting are not psychs.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users