BBO Discussion Forums: Some Thoughts About Relaxed Rules Bridge - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some Thoughts About Relaxed Rules Bridge

#1 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2003-February-21, 05:37

I've wrestled with the concept of relaxed rules bridge for quite a while now - have attempted to analyze, inquire, survey, and weigh the arguements of the opposing factions. Both sides offer merit in their assertions that their view is the best course of action for the ACBL. However I feel that we all must look at this objectively and with logic.

The aging of the ACBL membership combined with the relatively slow influx of new and retained members has contributed indirectly to this idea. If memory serves, the average age of an ACBL member is a tick under 70 years old, thus your upper percentiles of members are within the next 10 years going to die off. This will be a major, detrimental event to the ACBL, who is losing ground to Europe in terms of growth steadily day by day. With the dissolution of the EasyBridge program, and with many small/medium sized clubs not having an I/N program, this is great cause for concern.

Also consider that many of the playing population due to their age have a certain frame of reference when it comes to bridge. Yes it is a social activity to them, but they have certain hesitations and concerns when players of a newer generation play methods and/or treatments that they are not familar with. I believe that this is a main reason why the GCC is as restrictive as it is in certain areas - to protect this segment of the membership.

Due to these two reasons, after nearly a year of thought and discussion, I state that I am in favor of instituting relaxed rules bridge within the ACBL. We must encourage our members to be inclusive. This means we must reach out to the youth, the juniors, the seasoned citizens that left the ACBL due to one reason or another, the fellow members of the American Bridge Association (ABA - yes there is ANOTHER organization besides the ACBL in the U.S., and fine people to boot) and the so-called purists that enjoy the game for its challenges. This game could be restricted in what treatments would be allowed, more so than currently permitted on the GCC. Simplifying the game for this target segment would increase revenue, reverse the trends of the law of diminishing averages, and most importantly, offer more opportunities to bring bridge back to the status it used to possess. I can not foresee the game of bridge in the United States, governed by the ACBL, maintaining itself by being stagnant. It must evolve - it must endure - it must overcome.

My last thought on this subject. Bridge is a game. It should be fun. It should be a form of entertainment and fellowship with others. Don't allow yourself to be carried away in the momentary grasp of competitiveness, for we all have the same goals - to be the best we can be at this most difficult game. :)
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#2 User is offline   Rhutobello 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-March-02, 09:47

My last thought on this subject. Bridge is a game. It should be fun. It should be a form of entertainment and fellowship with others. Don't allow yourself to be carried away in the momentary grasp of competitiveness, for we all have the same goals - to be the best we can be at this most difficult game. :)

In my opinon, this is  the only way to see bridge, if you have another opinion, then I suggest that you do bridge for living ::)

Good thoughts DH :)
Edvin say "a smile a day keep the doctor away"

#3 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2003-March-02, 15:49

It's amazing how prophetic it seemed I was recently. I went to a local tourney and had nothing less than 7 director calls within the first hour! And the director calls were for silly things on hands that could have been resolved at the table amicably and lawfully. This shows that many players do not know the rules and Laws that serve to protect the game's values and players.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#4 User is offline   baronreit 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-March-10, 17:39

where can we read about relaxed rules and how do u anticipate rules changes will attract younger players
rsg

#5 User is offline   skrshawk 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Doubling everything... there's nothing in life that shouldn't be doubled... except for, well... um....

Posted 2003-March-11, 00:41

As far as director calls go, I think part of it might be (at least where I play) a belief that players shouldn't settle problems by themselves, reinforced by things written on convention cards that if an irregularity is spotted to call the director.  Some people also try to use the director as a means of improving their bridge - getting the opps for a rules violation can ensure them at least an average plus score, which if you're a below average partnership and know this can work to your advantage.

I would just hope this tactic would reveal itself and wear thin in due time.

Take care,
John
John Chodan (skrshawk)
Administrator, BridgeBase Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users