• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recent movies reviews/recommendations/warnings

#81 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2009-January-31, 18:33

lately i've watched 3:10 to yuma, wall-e (2 thumbs up, if you have kids or grandkids to watch it with), burn after reading, and righteous kill... i enjoyed all of those... kung fu panda arrived today, we'll watch it tomorrow
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#82 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2009-June-08, 18:48

Drag Me To Hell

My wife and I saw this last week. Fun, summer movie.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#83 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-June-08, 23:29

Movies are a rarity. Just caught up with The Boy in Striped Pajamas (hated) and Slumdog Millionaire (loved) on pay-per-view.

Did have a date night two weeks ago and saw The Soloist. So much potential, but they didn't get it right.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#84 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-11, 03:34

akhare, on Jan 16 2009, 09:01 PM, said:

y66, on Nov 12 2008, 11:27 AM, said:

Let The Right One In

Some scenes are violent, bloody and disturbing.

I too really liked the film, but thought the vampire's gender (if there's any such thing) was ambiguous. As I recall, there were pointed references to the ambiguity in the dialog ("Would you still like me if I weren't a girl" or something like that) and in the screenplay as well...

She said she wasn't a girl but I don't think that referred to her sex, what she meant was she wasn't human at all since she was a vampire.

Very nice story, good actors, reasonable soundtrack. Not bad shut but some more close-ups on faces could have helped to emphasize the emotions of the characters, I think the director deliberately wanted to keep a distance to the characters but I wonder why. A little too violent for my taste but not extremely. Not the kind of film to think much about afterwards, but good entertainment.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#85 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2009-June-11, 06:23

Just watched "Brick" again, in preparation to go see The Brother's Bloom this weekend.

Brick is absolutely brilliant (film noir set in a high school). If "Bloom" is half as good I'll walk away very happy.
Alderaan delenda est

#86 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2009-June-11, 14:11

gran torino just shipped, should be here tomorrow... i'm only posting now so i don't forget about this thread after i watch it... 'taken' (liam neeson) is after torino
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#87 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-June-11, 16:10

I really liked Gran Torino.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#88 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-June-11, 16:16

luke warm, on Jun 11 2009, 03:11 PM, said:

gran torino just shipped, should be here tomorrow... i'm only posting now so i don't forget about this thread after i watch it... 'taken' (liam neeson) is after torino

You should enjoy both of those.

btw finally rented caprica, it was pretty boring until the very end.

Have brick in my queue for a while but still got 20 movies ahead of it.

Brother's Bloom finally coming to my area next week, looks good.

As for decent, recent movies check out:
Up, Love you Man, Gomorrah and Sin Nombre and AdventureLand.

#89 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2009-August-08, 10:04

We saw the new Meryl Streep film last night, Julia & Julie. Liked it a lot. Easy to recommend this to Streep and Julia Childs fans and anyone else who gets a kick out of seeing people doing something they love.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#90 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2009-August-08, 12:14

mike777, on Jun 11 2009, 05:16 PM, said:

As for decent, recent movies check out:
Up, Love you Man, Gomorrah and Sin Nombre and AdventureLand.

i did like torino, though not as much as my wife - she thought it was his best ever, for me it wasn't even close... taken was very good, if (like most such) slightly unbelievable... i added your suggestions to my queue

#91 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-08, 13:37

helene_t, on Jun 11 2009, 04:34 AM, said:

akhare, on Jan 16 2009, 09:01 PM, said:

y66, on Nov 12 2008, 11:27 AM, said:

Let The Right One In

Some scenes are violent, bloody and disturbing.

I too really liked the film, but thought the vampire's gender (if there's any such thing) was ambiguous. As I recall, there were pointed references to the ambiguity in the dialog ("Would you still like me if I weren't a girl" or something like that) and in the screenplay as well...

She said she wasn't a girl but I don't think that referred to her sex, what she meant was she wasn't human at all since she was a vampire.

Very nice story, good actors, reasonable soundtrack. Not bad shut but some more close-ups on faces could have helped to emphasize the emotions of the characters, I think the director deliberately wanted to keep a distance to the characters but I wonder why. A little too violent for my taste but not extremely. Not the kind of film to think much about afterwards, but good entertainment.

Actually the scar that's briefly visible is supposed to hint at a ritual castration (obstensibly as part of some initiaton ceremony).

It's explicitly mentioned in the book (or director's commentary -- I forget which)...
foobar on BBO

#92 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-08, 13:42

Saw the Orphan and really liked it. Of course, it's a fairly predictable "evil child" horror film, but a well made one and throughly enjoyable if you relish the genre.

The usual caveats apply of course -- definitely not for the squeamish or the easily offended...
foobar on BBO

#93 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-August-08, 14:31

Saw The Hurt Locker today. It is the story of an Army bomb tech unit in Iraq, intense, good movie.

I do again recommend Love You Man if in the mood for a smart comedy and Sin Nombre may be the best movie of the year so far.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kN_ZrdccHy0

#94 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2009-August-08, 14:51

Encounters at the end of the World.

Nice to know that seal milk is some 40% fat and that antarctic seals are so un-afraid of humans that they don't resist when milk samples are taken.

Otherwise no interesting information. Lousy shots, and as for the sound track, remember to bring ear plugs if you are going to watch it.

Some silly stories about why researchers end up in Antarctica, and what else they can tell about their lives, like that one of them had weird proportions of his finger lengths which shows that he descents from an Inca king and such.

But the main point of the film is that our civilization is destroying the world and Gaia will take revenge and kill us all and global warming makes icebergs break off which will move to the north and kill us and some day a new civilization will rise and they will find the ruins of our buildings and scratch heads about why we build such silly things yada yada yada.

Amazingly financed by the National Science Foundation.

Rating: Z-------.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#95 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-25, 16:48

Saw Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds" last night and really liked it. Highly recommended as long as you like QT, park your moral compass in the parking lot and don't take your WWII history too seriously...
foobar on BBO

#96 User is offline   olliebol 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Music (but non classical) tennis ,travel and science books , films and art

Posted 2009-August-25, 18:12

i would like to recommend a movie named : In Bruges. Its about two hitman who go undercover in the city in Belgium after a job goes horribly wrong. For those of you who liked films like snatch or layer cake it takes its inspiration from the same sources namely British gangstermovies. but where most of these hommage films are mindless fun this one is not and thats a rarity in this genre. Go try it as a thinking mans film and a bloody entertaining one as well.
Olivier.

#97 User is offline   olliebol 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Music (but non classical) tennis ,travel and science books , films and art

Posted 2009-August-25, 18:20

And as a warning dont watch xiii the conspiracy. It has the production values of a made for tv series ,drags endlessly on to go nowhere and has the gall to set up the ending all ready for the sequell.The optimists.
Olivier.

#98 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-August-25, 19:34

olliebol, on Aug 25 2009, 07:12 PM, said:

i would like to recommend a movie named : In Bruges. Its about two hitman who go undercover in the city in Belgium after a job goes horribly wrong. For those of you who liked films like snatch or layer cake it takes its inspiration from the same sources namely British gangstermovies. but where most of these hommage films are mindless fun this one is not and thats a rarity in this genre. Go try it as a thinking mans film and a bloody entertaining one as well.

Yes, I recommended this movie here in the forums last year, wonderful small gem of a movie.

Bandslam: 2009 a wonderful small gem of a movie, battle of the bands, high school, coming of age movie.....

Not many have bothered to see this movie but see it, you will love it!

#99 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-25, 21:53

olliebol, on Aug 25 2009, 07:12 PM, said:

Second that -- from what I remember, it was bloody good fun in both the literary and literal sense of the term :rolleyes:..
foobar on BBO

#100 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2009-August-29, 14:33

Not a recent film (came out in 2000) but I only just now got to see it: "O brother, where art thou?" Not "classic" material but light hearted feel-good film that I rather enjoyed. I only bothered to watch it because of a clip of a song from it that I happened to catch on youtube, before which I had never heard of it.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users