• You cannot reply to this topic

Recent movies reviews/recommendations/warnings

#481 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-February-14, 07:52

View Postkenberg, on 2014-February-14, 07:40, said:

If I call a person a moron it does not mean that I have given him an intelligence test or even that I know what level of performance would qualify him for that label. I suppose calling him a narcissist is similar. I am not a trained psychologist. The label goes more like this: I saw the last part of My Sister Eileen on TCM last night and one of the characters is excitedly praising an article written about her. "And it's all about me", she says.

Anyway, I have to get to this movie so I can give my analysis. I have no doubt that everyone is waiting breathlessly for this.

Semi-serious comment. I rarely if ever call a person a moron or a narcissist. Or a psychopath or a paranoid. Better, I think, to focus on specific objectional actions. If there are just too many of these, this is a person you do to want to be around, no matter what the accurate diagnosis might be.

That being said, there was this partner I had who was in 4, had ten absolutely certain tricks, no way to make an eleventh trick, and condensed them to nine tricks. Even Homer nods. Or whatever.

Well, Ken, if you don't know the 10 into 9 trick, I can demonstrate it - and you get style points if you can do it while having some plausible but unlikely reason to adopt that line - well, if clubs were 11-0 my line succeeds...
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#482 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-February-14, 08:24

View PostFluffy, on 2014-February-14, 07:51, said:

I still don't know what force did attract Clooney on the ISS which made him lift.

Lift him from where to where? I don't understand which part you mean.

The only part that I didn't like was the apparent force that pulls Clooney away from Sandra Bullock, even though he had already stopped.

A nice article I found from a real astronaut is: http://www.forbes.co...ink-of-gravity/
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#483 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-February-14, 10:17

View Postmike777, on 2014-February-13, 19:32, said:

I don't know how to do spoiler tags but good idea. How do you do them?

Mark the text that you want to be hidden, open the "Other styles" menu above the input box, and select Spoiler.
Spoiler

#484 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-February-14, 10:34

test
Spoiler

thanks barmar and gwnn

#485 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2014-February-14, 11:06

View Postgwnn, on 2014-February-14, 08:24, said:

Lift him from where to where? I don't understand which part you mean.

The only part that I didn't like was the apparent force that pulls Clooney away from Sandra Bullock, even though he had already stopped.

A nice article I found from a real astronaut is: http://www.forbes.co...ink-of-gravity/

Yeah that's what I was talking about, it made no sense to me.

#486 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-February-14, 11:22

Interesting article by that astronaut. His comment about Sandra Bullock pushing the right buttons and turning the right valves reminds me of an incident I read about during the filming of an early episode of Star Trek (the original series). The actors had a really thorough "tech manual" about how things were supposed to work on the ship, including the functions of all the buttons on the bridge. So Sulu is sitting at the helm, and the director reaches over his shoulder and says "and then you push this button". Sulu says "I can't do that! The ship will blow up!" :-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#487 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-February-15, 08:22

I don't know if this still qualifies for "recent" but last night we sat Love is All You Need (aka The Bald Hairdresser). Described as a Danish chick film, it was a fine movie for Valentine's Day but in fact I liked it a lot for any day. The main female character of Ida is a very good role, and I thought Trine Dyrholm did a great job with it. Even Pierce Brosnan did a good job. Generally I find Brosnan very entertainging, I watched Remington Steele every week, but I don't usually find his roles believable. This one was.
Ken

#488 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2014-March-06, 04:28

There is another thing that perhaps the Astronaut passed by, or mabe I am wrong.

The garbage particles that hit the station, go at a much higher speed than the station, who is at the static orbit height.

If you go faster that the orbit's speed, you increase your height, so it makes no sense that the garbage would do a turn around earth and come back to the same point again.

#489 User is offline   VMars 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-16, 21:04

I saw my movie today. It was pretty good. I recommend it to all my fans.

#490 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-March-17, 07:11

View PostFluffy, on 2014-March-06, 04:28, said:

There is another thing that perhaps the Astronaut passed by, or mabe I am wrong.

The garbage particles that hit the station, go at a much higher speed than the station, who is at the static orbit height.

If you go faster that the orbit's speed, you increase your height, so it makes no sense that the garbage would do a turn around earth and come back to the same point again.

Probably this is not something to think too hard about, but suppose the grabage is in a highly elliptical orbit and the station is in a circular orbit. Suppose that when they collide the garbage is at its closest point to the common center. Forget for a moment about other celestial objects, suppose it is just the attractive center, the station, and the garbage. if the elliptical orbit is very highly elliptical then the velocity when it is near the station will be close to escape velocity since it almost escapes. Escape velocity divided by circular prbit velocity (both evaluated at the same distance from the center) is, if i remember correctly, the square root of 2. So highly elliptical garbage could overtake (I assume both were moving in the same direction, I haven't seen the movie) with the garbage speed being about 1.4 times the station speed..

I think this is right, given all the assumptions about circular orbits for stations, highly elliptical orbits for garbage, ignoring other celestial objects, and so on. Since it's a movie, we get to assume this. Or we can just ignore it and watch the special effects, which no doubt is what they had in mind.
Ken

#491 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-March-17, 07:23

View PostFluffy, on 2014-March-06, 04:28, said:

Most satellites circle the earth from West to East (saves on fuel)
Who is to say that the garbage is orbiting in the same direction...

As Ken has already pointed out, elliptical orbits are also possible.

(FWIW, if the North Koreans or the Iranians wanted to be really annoying, they could just launch a bunch of sand, place it in a elliptical orbit, and start sweeping away satellites)
Alderaan delenda est

#492 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2014-March-22, 17:02

But the garbage doesn't follow a single elliptical orbit, it follows many, and should spread.

#493 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:All types of games especially bridge & war games.
    old bidding systems & computer simulation programming.

Posted 2014-March-27, 00:11

What a load of crap "Noah" is.

Now there's something believers and sceptics, moderates and fanatics, could agree upon!

Perhaps I could hijack the topic & launch a poll!

:D

This post has been edited by Scarabin: 2014-March-28, 01:01

#494 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-11, 20:44

Just watched Mud (2013) with Tye Sheridan, Jacob Lofland, Matthew McConaughey, Sam Shepard and Reese Witherspoon. If you liked "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" or "Stand By Me", you'll probably like Mud. Now streaming on Netflix.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#495 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2014-April-15, 19:36

20 Feet From Stardom - the amazing Oscar winning documentary about the lives of backup singers Darlene Love, Judith Hill, Merry Clayton, Lisa Fischer, Táta Vega, Jo Lawry and others with guest appearances by Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, Sting and others.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#496 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-April-15, 22:55

Strongly agree with Last two posts by Y66

Best movie I have seen so far in 2014 is Lego 3.5 stars out of 4

A very slow start to 2014 at this point.

#497 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-15, 23:46

View Postmike777, on 2014-April-15, 22:55, said:

Best movie I have seen so far in 2014 is Lego 3.5 stars out of 4

A very slow start to 2014 at this point.

Agree. I think my second favorite is Veronica Mars, but I did help crowd fund it so may well be biased. But three of the better reviewed movies I haven't seen yet (The Grand Budapest Hotel; The Lunchbox; and Le Week-End).

While I did enjoy the plot/themes of the Captain America sequel, I found the action scenes a bit over the top/not credible even within the context of a super hero movie (maybe it is the fact that CA is only a moderately enhanced human, and his two side kicks are normal humans, so the comic style violence didn't work for me), and as a result I found the movie only OK and think it has been a bit over rated.

#498 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2014-May-21, 20:19

Broken Circle Breakdown. An intense love story between a bluegrass loving atheist and a beautiful, high spirited tattoo artist that goes off the rails. Was nominated for best foreign film in 2012. In Flemish.

#499 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-May-23, 01:18

View PostMbodell, on 2014-April-15, 23:46, said:

Agree. I think my second favorite is Veronica Mars, but I did help crowd fund it so may well be biased. But three of the better reviewed movies I haven't seen yet (The Grand Budapest Hotel; The Lunchbox; and Le Week-End).

While I did enjoy the plot/themes of the Captain America sequel, I found the action scenes a bit over the top/not credible even within the context of a super hero movie (maybe it is the fact that CA is only a moderately enhanced human, and his two side kicks are normal humans, so the comic style violence didn't work for me), and as a result I found the movie only OK and think it has been a bit over rated.

Mars is on my Netflix.....will let you know

anyway as of 5-20-14.....Lego number one..

#500 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-May-24, 21:14

Just saw new X men movie......very good movie, my favorite of the new year at this point.

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users