BBO Discussion Forums: Declare or Defend? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Declare or Defend? you could make money with this one...

#1 User is offline   bhall 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-July-04, 11:16

Scoring: IMP

1-P-1-4
P-5-X all P

From a Swiss match long ago. Naturally, the DK was led and the hand made easily. But should it? Is there a killing lead (or two)? We spent hours afterward going over all the squeeze possibilities.

With ordinary experts, I have offered to declare or defend for a named sum, giving them the right to choose the lead if they defend. I have yet to lose.

Have fun.
just plain Bill

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2007-July-04, 11:52

Is down on a K lead imo, because it wrecks your communication for a - squeeze. An alternative lead obviously is Q :D
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-July-04, 11:53

I pick to play, but didn't think it for long

A, back, take the trump return and run my tricks for a squeeze without the count on West

On an not trump lead it is pretty easy because heart leads force defenders to return trumps, so it becomes a simpe squeeze against West.. or a double squeeze....

Oh *****, no its not, Frederick is right, spade lead or switch beats it.

#4 User is offline   Edmunte1 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-July-04, 14:46

I bet on defense.
1)K is necesary for destroying the threat 2F, there's no further defense without that, West is squeezed.
2)After this lead declarer must play , trying to ruff and rectifying the count in the same time. East should play high and return trump. A second trump is played and East should play again high and return second trump.
3) Now declarer cashes trumps. West should avoid discarding Q, otherwise a double squeeze is settled. He must mentain the simple threats in and , and his partner must control the . The final will be:

and the defense will prevail

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2007-July-04, 17:20

bhall, on Jul 4 2007, 12:16 PM, said:

Scoring: IMP

1-P-1-4
P-5-X all P

From a Swiss match long ago. Naturally, the DK was led and the hand made easily. But should it? Is there a killing lead (or two)? We spent hours afterward going over all the squeeze possibilities.

With ordinary experts, I have offered to declare or defend for a named sum, giving them the right to choose the lead if they defend. I have yet to lose.

Have fun.

Thank you bhall, for a beautiful problem :( B) :D
As Edmuntel, Fluffy and Free point out, it seems that if West leads anything other than a top , declarer succeeds on a squeeze without the count. Problems like this used to keep players happy for hours :D Nowadays a double dummy solver program analyzes them in the blink of an eye :P and spoils all the fun :P Just as well you are not allowed to use them at the table B) unless, like Helgemo, you have one built-in. :P

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2007-July-04, 19:16

Fluffy, on Jul 4 2007, 06:53 PM, said:

A, back, take the trump return and run my tricks for a squeeze without the count on West

On an not trump lead it is pretty easy because heart leads force defenders to return trumps, so it becomes a simpe squeeze against West.. or a double squeeze....

switch does NOT work! Declarer will be able to ruff a in dummy for contract :P
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-July-05, 00:36

Free, on Jul 5 2007, 01:16 AM, said:

Fluffy, on Jul 4 2007, 06:53 PM, said:

switch does NOT work! Declarer will be able to ruff a in dummy for contract :angry:

trump lead and spade swtch doesn't wok?

#8 User is offline   bhall 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-July-05, 02:40

It's true! A trump lead doesn't work. Just run 7 of your 8 trump, and LHO must come down to 3 of each pointy suit. Then ruff out that pesky DJ in RHO's hand and lead a spade toward dummy's AJx. Two tricks for thee, and two for me.

It's also true that, should declarer play a at trick 2, he can be defeated by a switch. That's beacuse RHO holds a guard - the Jx.

The twist that earns the money is that, after your mark fails to make on a trump lead, you offer him double or nothing if you take the declaring side with that lead. And after that, if he's still game, you can offer to go back and defend! (They need to be somewhat dense for this to work twice, of course)
just plain Bill

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users