BBO Discussion Forums: Who's the biggest forum troll in BBF? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who's the biggest forum troll in BBF?

#1 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-June-18, 14:44

No poll, but who in your opinion?
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#2 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2007-June-18, 15:13

Are we talking looks (Hrothgar based on name alone.....lol) or prolificity (Ben gets that one for sure!). I might get the reverse troll award....and (dis)honorable mention goes to Whereagles...........but

JLall
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#3 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-June-18, 15:41

oof.

Peter

#4 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2007-June-18, 16:24

i'd have to say it's al :)
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#5 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-June-18, 16:35

Isn't this post the definition of trolling?

You are asking members of the community to effectively pick on people as they see fit. What good can come of this post? But to answer your question, after seeing this thread I would have to say you are the biggest troll on the forums. This is, to use your word, as inflammatory as it gets.

I cannot believe you are a mod, I know Fred thinks you hung the moon but you really used about the poorest judgement I've ever seen from any mod on any forum with this one. And to be honest all that I have seen from you is a lot of bad judgement.

#6 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2007-June-18, 16:47

From the stickied water cooler rules:

1) No personal attacks. Insults are a No-No. You can have issues with someone else's opinion and attack that (in a civilised manner hopefully), but don't go after anyone personally.

You are asking people to name names of the biggest troll on BBF, troll pretty much being the biggest possible insult on a forum. You are asking people to personally attack other people.

Oh, and by the way, you're the one who wrote those rules!

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-June-18, 17:47

Me, of course.
(I very much hope this thread isn't serious.)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2007-June-18, 18:01

Sorry Justin, I thought it meant a denizen as in someone who lurks in the wings waiting to pounce on an opportunity to act.....not necessarily in a bad way. :)

#9 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2007-June-18, 18:10

Al_U_Card, on Jun 18 2007, 07:01 PM, said:

Sorry Justin, I thought it meant a denizen as in someone who lurks in the wings waiting to pounce on an opportunity to act.....not necessarily in a bad way. :)

From the wiki:

wiki said:

Trolls can be existing members of a community that rarely post and often contribute no useful information to the thread, but instead make argumentative posts in an attempt to discredit another person, concentrating almost exclusively on facts irrelevant to the point of the conversation, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others. The key element under attack by a troll is known only to the troll.

A person who retaliates (using whatever means) as a result of a misunderstanding (or as a way of rebelling against the overzealous application of rules) is not a troll.[4] A troll is a person who approaches a board with the specific intention of stirring things up, either as a goal in and of itself or as a means of attacking the board perhaps motivated by opposition to the ethos of the board. For example, a neo-Nazi approaching a Jewish forum with the intention of attacking the members, purely because the neo-Nazi knows the forum to contain Jewish members, will be considered a troll.

The general element, that determines whether a malicious user is a troll or not, is the level of indignant emotions present in the person, coupled with the person's history with the forum or group. An indignant user who has had a previous normal relationship with the group is not a troll, even if the user uses methods of attack that are characteristic of a troll attack.

The top definition on urban dictionary:

urban dictionary said:

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

#10 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2007-June-18, 18:10

Jlall, on Jun 18 2007, 04:35 PM, said:

Isn't this post the definition of trolling?

You are asking members of the community to effectively pick on people as they see fit. What good can come of this post? But to answer your question, after seeing this thread I would have to say you are the biggest troll on the forums. This is, to use your word, as inflammatory as it gets.

I cannot believe you are a mod, I know Fred thinks you hung the moon but you really used about the poorest judgement I've ever seen from any mod on any forum with this one. And to be honest all that I have seen from you is a lot of bad judgement.

Oh wow, is a forum troll a bad thing? Yeah I got the irony of asking this, because I didn't think a trolling is always negative.

Your post is what I see as a personal attack however.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#11 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-June-18, 18:16

Calling someone a forum troll is a pretty serious insult.
http://www.urbandict....php?term=troll

Quite worse than stuff I have seen censored here (and definitely way worse than what Justin said above about Rain).
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#12 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-June-18, 18:18

Oh wow, is a forum troll a bad thing?

It's a big insult.

Peter

#13 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2007-June-18, 18:19

Rain, on Jun 18 2007, 07:10 PM, said:

Oh wow, is a forum troll a bad thing? Yeah I got the irony of asking this, because I didn't think a trolling is always negative.

See the above post.

edit: ok the one above yours, 2 people posted while I was posting.

Your post is what I see as a personal attack however.

LOL, your post is one that serves the sole purpose of inducing personal attacks. Would it be ok for you to ask who is the worst looking poster on the forums? It is the same exact thing.

If you make trolling posts like this I really do not know what you expect to see, people praising your excellent posting abilities? This thread should be deleted, it's garbage, and as a mod you should be held to a higher standard and you will be called out for things like this, sorry.

BTW I see nothing wrong in questioning your judgement and capabilities as a mod and poster when it directly relates to what you have posted and done. I think if I said "Rain is very [insert off topic insult here]" that would be really wrong, but my posts were directly related to your post. Similarly if someone posted a bridge comment and I said "you have terrible competitive bidding judgement based on what I have seen in this post, here is why" that would not be wrong in my opinion. If I said "yo mamas so fat..." that would be wrong.

#14 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2007-June-18, 18:28

Okay, sorry. I thought trolls can be cute. I've laughed at funny trolls in other forums.

John Nelson.

#15 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-June-19, 01:13

Justine is not bad looking!

Now to a serious note, I have no idea what a troll meant (not understanding the language is blessing at times), but I took it as a joke. Something like who is the bigest fool?, I think anyone who has 1000+ posts might qualify for that B)

#16 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2007-June-19, 01:18

You were writing something at the same time other people did... That's crossposting!

Edit: Ceterum censeo funiculum delendum esse.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#17 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-June-19, 01:33

OK, so this is just a misunderstanding. Actually, when I looked up "troll" in an online dictionary I found 9 definitions, the only one of which to make sense in this context was a super-natural being in Scandinivan mythology. Obviously the same as the Danish "trold", Swedish "troll". I used to say "gnome" in English but obviously I can call them "trolls" also, as long as I'm sure it will not get associated with the internet-lingo use of the word.

So I learned something new today as well.

AFAIAC this thread should be deleted.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#18 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-June-19, 03:12

helene_t, on Jun 19 2007, 02:33 AM, said:

OK, so this is just a misunderstanding. Actually, when I looked up "troll" in an online dictionary I found 9 definitions, the only one of which to make sense in this context was a super-natural being in Scandinivan mythology. Obviously the same as the Danish "trold", Swedish "troll". I used to say "gnome" in English but obviously I can call them "trolls" also, as long as I'm sure it will not get associated with the internet-lingo use of the word.

So I learned something new today as well.

AFAIAC this thread should be deleted.

Hi,

I think there is difference between a "Troll" and a
"Gnome".

The troll is more like a giant, and a gnome is more like
a dwarf, although there will be a huge outrage in fantasy
circles, if you ever said, that a gnome is a dwarf,
similar to the outrage you would face, if you claimed
that hobbits are dwarfs", which they are not, definitely
not ...

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#19 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2007-June-19, 05:24

Well, delete this thread if you want, Rain, I have no objection and, for me, Trolls are mythical creatures that lived under bridges and jumped out at passers-by to exact tolls from them.

The current context is the only one that matters. Respect of the right to participate and comment is paramount and insulting people for exercising that right is definitely wrong.

OTOH, it injected some interest into the fairly moribund water-cooler so perhaps Rain's idea was, while trollish, not so bad as we now know and understand a bit more. If we can use this to gain insight into the interactive aspect of this community then that is a plus.

#20 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2007-June-19, 05:35

Until I read Justins wikipedia entry about trolls I had no idea that a troll is so insulting.

But otoh a question like. Who writes the most posts which are not mainstream (and maybe this is what Rain really wanted to aks), is not as sexy as:
Who´s the biggest forum troll?

To answer my own question: I think (xxxx) and (yyyy) are crazy and ... what (zzz) wrotes is plain silly and all posts from (xyz) are just stupid.

(Edited by Gestapo head quarter, no names allowed)
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users