• You cannot reply to this topic

Pattern System New bidding system

#1 User is offline   ucrman 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2007-February-12, 20:30

This new bidding system is called Pattern System

Basically, there are four types of distributions:
1) Balanced hand - this includes all hands 4-3-3-3, 4-4-3-2, and 5-3-3-2. These hands are opened 1C (12-14 or 18-20), 1NT (15-17), 2NT (21-23), 3NT (24-27).
2) One suiter - All hands that contain 6+ cards in a suit with no other 4-card suits. These hands are opened 1C, 1D, 1H, or 1S depending on the long suit. Also included in this category are two suited minimum hands that are 6-4 with a 4-card minor which are treated as one suiters.
3) Two suiters - All hands that have two suits (5-4 5-5, 6-5, 4-6, 6-6). These hands are generally opened in the shorter suit (secondary suit), canape style except for the minimum hands where clubs are the shorter suit - these hands are opened 2S, 2H, or 2D depending on the primary suit.
4) Three suiters - All hands that are 4-4-4-1 and hands that are 5-4-4-0 without a 5-card major. These hands are all opened 2C.

Bidding summary
1C - one of four types of hands, forcing one round.
(1) Balanced 12-14, rebid 1H or 1S over the 1D negative step response.
(2) Balanced 18-20, rebid 1NT over the 1D negative step response.
(3) one suiter clubs, rebid 2C, 3C, 4C, 5C, or 2NT over the 1D negative step response.
(4) secondary clubs (usually 16+), rebid 2A, 3A, 4A, or 2NT over the 1D negative step response.
1D - either one suiter diamonds or secondary diamonds, forcing one round.
1H - either one suiter hearts or secondary hearts, forcing one round.
1S - either one suiter spades or secondary spades, forcing one round.
1NT - 15-17 balanced.
2C - threee suiters, any strength, forcing one round.
2D - Primary diamonds and secondary clubs, less than 16 HCP.
2H- Primary hearts and secondary clubs, less than 16 HCP.
2S - Primary spades and secondary clubs, less than 16 HCP.
2NT - 21-23 balanced.
3NT - 24-27 balanced.

The system uses negative step response over the 1D, 1H, and 1S openings, the next higher bid.
The system uses NT bids as a sort of relay bid to show stronger hands after the 1C, 1D, 1H, and 1S openings.
Example: 1C-1D-2NT-3C (asks): now
3D(4D) shows primary diamonds with secondary clubs 5-5, 19-20(21-22)
3H(4H) shows primary hearts with secondary clubs 5-5. 19-20(21-22)
3S(4S) shows primary spades with secondary clubs 5-5, 19-20(21-22) .
3NT and 4C show single suiter clubs.
To show a 6-4 hand with secondary clubs, bid 3A or 4A into the primary suit.

To show different strengths after a 1D opening and thenegative step response of 1H. for example:
1D-1H
1S,2C, 2H shows a minimum with 5 cards in the primary suit and secondary 4+diamonds.
2D shows a minimum with 6+ diamonds.
1NT then over the relay bid of 2C:
2D - 15-18 with 6+ diamonds
2H, 2S, 2NT (clubs), 3C - 16-19 with secondary diamonds and primary in the other suit.
2NT then over the relay of 3C:
3D - 19-22 with 6+ diamonds
3H, 3S, 3NT (clubs), 4C - 19-22 with secondary diamonds and primary in the other suit.

After the 1D, 1H, and 1S openings, negative doubles show 3+ card support for the unbid suits.

Since the negative step response is not allowed in the ACBL, I don't play this system and haven't updated my notes on the system for many years. I do not have any of the system on a computer, just 61 pages of which some are missing.
for more information contact me at ucrman@nycap.rr.com.

#2 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2011-November-20, 12:47

Interesting, similar to Larry Weiss's Simplified Club.

By now you probably know about M.I.C.S. by Rexford: http://cuebiddingatb...ape-system.html

Also, Sabine Auken's system, I Love This Game, has canape overtones which we have adapted for our Strong Club System: http://bridgewithdan...stems/Ultra.pdf

The next version C3: Copious Canape Club is still in test mode (2 years now).

Waiting for details on Pattern Precision for possible new ideas .......

Finally, a 1993 book: Hand Pattern System, by A. V. Delmain:

1 = 16 + hcp with natural positives & impossible negative
1 = 7 losers or less and both minors (5-4 or better) or a single suited hand (any suit)
1 = 4 or more hearts and 5-4 or better distribution with diamonds
1 = 4 or more spades and 5-4 or better distribution with diamonds & spades, 7-losers or less
1NT = 13-15 HCP
2 = Clubs and a Major, 5-4 or better either suit longer, 7 or less losers
2 = 4441 and 7 losers or less
2 = 5-4 with the majors, hearts longer, 7 or less losers
2 = 5-4 with the majors or better, spades longer, 7 or less losers
2NT = 5-5 in the minors, unlimited strength.
3 NT = 6-5 in the minors with AK in one minor and K or better in the other minor
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#3 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-20, 20:04

I remember a PRO System(Pattern Relay Organized)
from Kearse's Conventions Complete.
But I never had a write-up detailing it.
Someone do a write-up?
I'm intrigued, but the rub is in the details.

#4 User is offline   ucrman 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-November-20, 20:28

Here are two summaries of the system. I renmaned it Super Canape. The Best Super Canape uses negative step responses to the 1D and 1H opening bids; otherwise, they are the same.
bob's puter/my documents/super canape
My link
Super Canape.doc
Best Super Canape.doc

These are my attempts to show my system. If it doesn't work, email me at patternman52@yahoo.com and I will send you a copy including my Canape Club system.

#5 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-20, 22:05

Yes sounds like Larry's system Simplified Club much of which is borrowed from Roman and Neopolitan club.

If you have questions feel free to ask about it or see Bridge Encyclopedia.

#6 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2011-November-21, 17:34

PRO* 1.41 (Meanness index)

The Pattern Relay Organized system is an American system based on a 1C opening showing a balanced hand or clubs, and a complete relay structure in the subsequent bidding. Information from Kearse, Bridge Conventions Complete.

PRO Opening Bids
1C 12-20 3+ clubs
17-20 balanced
1D 12-20 3+ diamonds
1H 12-20 5+ hearts
1S 12-20 5+ spades
1N 14-16 balanced
2C 21+ 5+ clubs
2D 21+ 5+ diamonds
2H 21+ 5+ hearts
2S 21+ 5+ spades
2N 21-22 balanced

http://bridgewithdan...-collection.txt

PRO-System or Pattern Relay Organized
This is a bidding system previously played by many partnerships on the West Coast of the United States.

1. Intermediate No Trump openings: 14-16 high card points.
2. Forcing 1 Club openings

a. Promises either a long Club suit with opening values or
b. Balanced holding with 17-20 high card points.

3. Non-Forcing Two-over-One responses and Jump Shifts.
4. 4-card Major suit openings

a. any 1 No Trump response is game-forcing.

5. Reverse Bids based on distribution rather than strength.

http://www.bridgeguy...ary/GlossP.html
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#7 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2011-November-22, 00:40

I am really intrigued by these myriad versions of Precision. I have recently been playing a version called CONTROL PRECISION. For all intents and purposes the bidding structure is the same as standard Precision (1 = 16+ HCP, 1, 1, 1 = 11-15 HCP etc). The difference comes in where partner of the opening bidder becomes the CONTROL PARTNER (controlling the auction). Apart from the 1 opener, all other opening bids limits opener's hand to 15 HCP. Opener becomes known as the BLIND PARTNER. The basic idea is that the CONTROL PARTNER is in a better position to sign off in a part score, make game decisions or slam decisions (he can see what's in his own hand, combining this with the information from partner places all decisions with CONTROL PARTNER).

To try and simplify this even further, after two bids from the Opener, the CONTROL PARTNER has the following information about Opener's hand:
1.) The category into which the hand falls (1st bid)
2.) HCP count and distribution within the category (11-12 HCP minimum, 13-15 HCP maximum)

The creator of this approach to Precision is someone called Ray Bermeister from Israel.

Has anybody else heard of this approach?

Has anybody else used this approach before? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-22, 05:37

View Post32519, on 2011-November-22, 00:40, said:

To try and simplify this even further, after two bids from the Opener, the CONTROL PARTNER has the following information about Opener's hand:
1.) The category into which the hand falls (1st bid)
2.) HCP count and distribution within the category (11-12 HCP minimum, 13-15 HCP maximum)

The creator of this approach to Precision is someone called Ray Bermeister from Israel.

Has anybody else heard of this approach?

Has anybody else used this approach before? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

This is very similar to what I use except my ranges are ~10-13 and ~14-17 and that if Openers possesses the other major (for a 1M opening) or spades and not hearts (for a 1D opening) they make a bid ambiguous about strength. Adam and I discussed some of the advantages and disadvantages of this method in another (very) recent thread.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#9 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2011-November-22, 06:57

View Post32519, on 2011-November-22, 00:40, said:

... I have recently been playing a version called CONTROL PRECISION. For all intents and purposes the bidding structure is the same as standard Precision (1 = 16+ HCP, 1, 1, 1 = 11-15 HCP etc). The difference comes in where partner of the opening bidder becomes the CONTROL PARTNER (controlling the auction). Apart from the 1 opener, all other opening bids limits opener's hand to 15 HCP. Opener becomes known as the BLIND PARTNER. The basic idea is that the CONTROL PARTNER is in a better position to sign off in a part score, make game decisions or slam decisions (he can see what's in his own hand, combining this with the information from partner places all decisions with CONTROL PARTNER). ... The creator of this approach to Precision is someone called Ray Bermeister from Israel. ... Has anybody else used this approach before? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Gee, where have we heard this captain/crew idea before?

The idea that 1+ is limited, and that responder (aka "partner of the opening bidder", "CONTROL PARTNER", "captain" etc.) controls the auction dates back to the early big club systems.

I assume that by " bidding structure is the same as standard Precision", you mean the opening bidding structure, and not the responding scheme, and it would be interesting to learn more about the Bermeister approach, unless he continues to use even more CAPS.

In the recent World Championship Tarzan was swinging yet another version:

Muller-Dewijs's Tarzan Precision

Like the 70s show Relay Precision, the Ultimate Club, the Viking Club, and lots of others, the system takes advantage of the limited openings bids to put responder in charge of finding the landing spot.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#10 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-22, 11:20

Glen, the joke doesn't work that way around. It has to be "de Wijs-Muller Tarzan Precision".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#11 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-23, 11:48

View Postucrman, on 2007-February-12, 20:30, said:

This new bidding system is called Pattern System

Basically, there are four types of distributions:
1) Balanced hand - this includes all hands 4-3-3-3, 4-4-3-2, and 5-3-3-2. These hands are opened 1C (12-14 or 18-20), 1NT (15-17), 2NT (21-23), 3NT (24-27).
2) One suiter - All hands that contain 6+ cards in a suit with no other 4-card suits. These hands are opened 1C, 1D, 1H, or 1S depending on the long suit. Also included in this category are two suited minimum hands that are 6-4 with a 4-card minor which are treated as one suiters.
3) Two suiters - All hands that have two suits (5-4 5-5, 6-5, 4-6, 6-6). These hands are generally opened in the shorter suit (secondary suit), canape style except for the minimum hands where clubs are the shorter suit - these hands are opened 2S, 2H, or 2D depending on the primary suit.
4) Three suiters - All hands that are 4-4-4-1 and hands that are 5-4-4-0 without a 5-card major. These hands are all opened 2C.

Bidding summary
1C - one of four types of hands, forcing one round.
(1) Balanced 12-14, rebid 1H or 1S over the 1D negative step response.
(2) Balanced 18-20, rebid 1NT over the 1D negative step response.
(3) one suiter clubs, rebid 2C, 3C, 4C, 5C, or 2NT over the 1D negative step response.
(4) secondary clubs (usually 16+), rebid 2A, 3A, 4A, or 2NT over the 1D negative step response.
1D - either one suiter diamonds or secondary diamonds, forcing one round.
1H - either one suiter hearts or secondary hearts, forcing one round.
1S - either one suiter spades or secondary spades, forcing one round.
1NT - 15-17 balanced.
2C - threee suiters, any strength, forcing one round.
2D - Primary diamonds and secondary clubs, less than 16 HCP.
2H- Primary hearts and secondary clubs, less than 16 HCP.
2S - Primary spades and secondary clubs, less than 16 HCP.
2NT - 21-23 balanced.
3NT - 24-27 balanced.

The system uses negative step response over the 1D, 1H, and 1S openings, the next higher bid.
The system uses NT bids as a sort of relay bid to show stronger hands after the 1C, 1D, 1H, and 1S openings.
Example: 1C-1D-2NT-3C (asks): now
3D(4D) shows primary diamonds with secondary clubs 5-5, 19-20(21-22)
3H(4H) shows primary hearts with secondary clubs 5-5. 19-20(21-22)
3S(4S) shows primary spades with secondary clubs 5-5, 19-20(21-22) .
3NT and 4C show single suiter clubs.
To show a 6-4 hand with secondary clubs, bid 3A or 4A into the primary suit.

To show different strengths after a 1D opening and thenegative step response of 1H. for example:
1D-1H
1S,2C, 2H shows a minimum with 5 cards in the primary suit and secondary 4+diamonds.
2D shows a minimum with 6+ diamonds.
1NT then over the relay bid of 2C:
2D - 15-18 with 6+ diamonds
2H, 2S, 2NT (clubs), 3C - 16-19 with secondary diamonds and primary in the other suit.
2NT then over the relay of 3C:
3D - 19-22 with 6+ diamonds
3H, 3S, 3NT (clubs), 4C - 19-22 with secondary diamonds and primary in the other suit.

After the 1D, 1H, and 1S openings, negative doubles show 3+ card support for the unbid suits.

Since the negative step response is not allowed in the ACBL, I don't play this system and haven't updated my notes on the system for many years. I do not have any of the system on a computer, just 61 pages of which some are missing.
for more information contact me at ucrman@nycap.rr.com.

I don't like this. The 2C to show a 3-suiter of unlimited strength is very problematic. It's not safe (too high) and you don't have much room to sort out strength and pattern. I also don't like that all of the 1-level bids are forcing (I know that Fantunes does this, but their 1-level suit openings promise extra strength). Having all of your 1-level bids be forcing means that responder doesn't have pass available. This means that responder has to use the available bids to describe hands that would ordinarily pass as well as those that have some values. It places responder under pressure and opener hasn't promised anything more than minimum strength to support an auction.

#12 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-23, 12:39

View Poststraube, on 2011-November-23, 11:48, said:

I don't like this. The 2C to show a 3-suiter of unlimited strength is very problematic. It's not safe (too high) and you don't have much room to sort out strength and pattern. I also don't like that all of the 1-level bids are forcing (I know that Fantunes does this, but their 1-level suit openings promise extra strength). Having all of your 1-level bids be forcing means that responder doesn't have pass available. This means that responder has to use the available bids to describe hands that would ordinarily pass as well as those that have some values. It places responder under pressure and opener hasn't promised anything more than minimum strength to support an auction.

+1 -- also, the < 16 range on the 2-level bids seems way too high. As I recall, FN limits the 2-level bids to the 8-12 range, which is more more playable.

FWIW, we once experimented with splitting our limited openings into 7-11 (2-level, unbalanced) and 12-15 (1-level). Naturally, only the 1 opening was forcing...
foobar on BBO

#13 User is offline   ucrman 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-February-03, 15:29

The 2C opening bid is not too high and the responses to show the various patterns are at a reasonable level. Many people open 2D to show a three-suited hand, and that works well.

The one bids are intended as forcing and may be passed. Bridge is a bidder's game.

The two-level bids have worked very successfully so far. In fact many of our big gains have come from the two bids.

The best bid in this system is the 1C opening, and it is the most frequent opening.

I have updated this system with a 33 page document.

#14 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-February-03, 16:13

The Pattern System looks extremely similar to Roman Club.

#15 User is offline   ucrman 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-February-04, 16:48

I now call it the Super Canape system. It differs from Roman Club in several ways but is based on the Roman Club which I played back in the 60s.
(1) Roman Club uses two bids - 2C and 2D - to show three suited hands. Super Canape uses only 2C.
(2) Roman Club uses 2NT to show 5-4 in Ds and Cs with 11-15 HCP, but Super Canape uses 2D to show it.
(3) Roman Club uses 1C to show strong hands with almost any shape, but under the Super Canape, the 1C, 1D, 1H, 1S and 2C openings are forcing and used to show distribution first with strength shown second. Super Canape uses No Trump bids as relays to show strength. (For example 1H=1S=2D shows 4 Hs and 5 Ds with 11-15 HCP but 1H=1S=1NT=2C=2D shows 4 Hs and 5 Ds with 16-19 HCP.)

#16 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-February-04, 17:14

View Postucrman, on 2016-February-04, 16:48, said:

(1) Roman Club uses two bids - 2C and 2D - to show three suited hands. Super Canape uses only 2C.

True.

(2) Roman Club uses 2NT to show 5-4 in Ds and Cs with 11-15 HCP, but Super Canape uses 2D to show it.

That 2N opening was not part of Belladonna's 1986 update.

(3) Roman Club uses 1C to show strong hands with almost any shape, but under the Super Canape, the 1C, 1D, 1H, 1S and 2C openings are forcing and used to show distribution first with strength shown second. Super Canape uses No Trump bids as relays to show strength. (For example 1H=1S=2D shows 4 Hs and 5 Ds with 11-15 HCP but 1H=1S=1NT=2C=2D shows 4 Hs and 5 Ds with 16-19 HCP.)

The forcing 1-openings were also part of Roman Club. A Gazzilli-like relay (2) over 1-1 was was also part of Belladonna's 1986 update.

This post has been edited by nullve: 2016-February-04, 17:24

#17 User is offline   ucrman 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-February-06, 00:23

It has been many years since I played Roman Club. The 1D, 1H and 1S openings were mostly forcing although some Italians played 1H could be passed with weak 4-card support, and some Brazil pairs played a Roman Club where these bids were not forcing.

In response to the 1D and 1H openings, the Super Canape system has three deviations: I play #1 in club games and prefer #3 in ACBL games.
1. The negative step response (1D=1H and 1H=1S) is used to show 0-11 HCP but the 1NT response (1D=1NT and 1H=1NT) shows the negative step response 5+ card major with 7-11 HCP. This is not allowed in ACBL events but is allowed in our club games.
2. The major suit responses (1D=1H, 1D=1S and 1H=1S)show 5-card suits with 0-11 HCP, and the 1NT response (1D=1NT and 1H=1NT)shows 0-11 HCP without a 5-card major.
3. The major suit responses (1D=1H, 1D=1S and 1H=1S)show 3+ card suits with 0-11 HCP, and the 1NT response (1D=1NT and 1H=1NT) deny three cards in the major with 0-11 HCP.

#18 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-06, 03:20

View Postucrman, on 2016-February-06, 00:23, said:

3. The major suit responses (1D=1H, 1D=1S and 1H=1S)show 3+ card suits with 0-11 HCP, and the 1NT response (1D=1NT and 1H=1NT) deny three cards in the major with 0-11 HCP.

So 1D-1NT shows 6+ clubs and 0-11 HCP, because I guess responder would raise diamonds if holding four?

#19 User is offline   ucrman 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-February-06, 18:50

In the #3 version of the Super Canape system which I do not play with anyone, the 1NT response to 1D doesn't necessarily show 6 Cs. I play the single raise to 2D as inverted, 9+ HCP with 4+ Ds and the 3D raise as weak. I play the 3C response to 1D as 7 Cs with less than 9 HCP. Perhaps it would be better to play 1NT as showing 6+ Cs and less than 10 HCP and use 3C as a Diamond raise.

I do have the Super Canape system version #1 in 30+ pages and an older version of #3. My new email is patternman52@yahoo.com if you would like a copy of this great system. It really works well. I have made changes to the system. For example, the 3NT opening is gambling. With 24-27 HCP balanced, I open 1C; with a 5-card suit and 24-27 HCP, I open 1D, 1H, or 1S in the 5-card suit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users