• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-December-21, 13:38

Hi All

I recently discovered that the OzOne Team playing exhibition matches on BBO. A number of these matches feature Paul Marston (PM) playing his latest MOSCITO variant. Demuy and Del'Monte are playing something similar.

I know that there was some interest in arranging some MOSCITO Vugraph's earlier in the year. Regretfully, we never managed to put this together but serendipity seems to be smiling on us.

The next Vugraph will take place on December 23rd and feature a strong Australian team versus some of Irelands's best.

Marston-Prescott / Demuy-Del'Monte vs
McGann-Hanlon / Garvey-Carroll

The match is listed as 8:00 PM. I have the unfortunate feeling that this is Sydney time, meaning that the match will kick off at 4:00 AM here in Boston.

There is another match scheduled for the 28th versus Jimmy Cayne's team. This one kicks off at a much more civilized 7:30 PM Eastern Standard Time.
Alderaan delenda est

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2006-December-21, 13:45

hrothgar, on Dec 21 2006, 02:38 PM, said:

Hi All

I recently discovered that the OzOne Team playing exhibition matches on BBO. A number of these matches feature Paul Marston (PM) playing his latest MOSCITO variant.

I know that there was some interest in arranging some MOSCITO Vugraph's earlier in the year. Regretfully, we never managed to put this together but serendipity seems to be smiling on us.

The next Vugraph will take place on December 23rd and feature a strong Australian team versus some of Irelands's best.

The match is listed as 8:00 PM. I have the unfortunate feeling that this is Sydney time, meaning that the match will kick off at 4:00 AM here in Boston.

There is another match scheduled for the 28th versus Jimmy Cayne's team. This one kicks off at a much more civilized 7:30 PM Eastern Standard Time.

If that is listed in the BBO Vugraph page, then the time is local to your IP address. So assuming you logged in from a boston address, the time would be correct.

Sadly, I think there are no more vugraphs listed before christmas, so you must have found this vugraph thing somewhere else, in which case the time is probably local to whoever posted it.
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-December-21, 13:47

inquiry, on Dec 21 2006, 10:45 PM, said:

Hi All

I recently discovered that the OzOne Team playing exhibition matches on BBO.  A number of these matches feature Paul Marston (PM) playing his latest MOSCITO variant.

I know that there was some interest in arranging some MOSCITO Vugraph's earlier in the year.  Regretfully, we never managed to put this together but serendipity seems to be smiling on us.

The match is listed as 8:00 PM.  I have the unfortunate feeling that this is Sydney time, meaning that the match will kick off at 4:00 AM here in Boston.

There is another match scheduled for the 28th versus Jimmy Cayne's team.  This one kicks off at a much more civilized 7:30 PM Eastern Standard Time.

If that is listed in the BBO Vugraph page, then the time is local to your IP address. So assuming you logged in from a boston address, the time would be correct.

Sadly, I think there are no more vugraphs listed before christmas, so you must have found this vugraph thing somewhere else, in which case the time is probably local to whoever posted it.

Found it all on the Oz One web page which is indeed based on EDST (Sydney)
http://www.oz-one.com.au/
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2006-December-21, 13:51

Ahha... ok, this isn't technically a vugraph event. It is just a team match (of course, there will be more than 200 kibitzers no doubt). I actually saw an earlier match that was played.
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-December-21, 14:37

I am interested in seeing this but I just cannot work out what time it will be on UK time. We are 11 hours out from Sydney, but I don't know whether to add or to subtract. Sort of makes a difference which day it is. Any help out there?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2006-December-21, 14:42

1eyedjack, on Dec 21 2006, 03:37 PM, said:

I am interested in seeing this but I just cannot work out what time it will be on UK time. We are 11 hours out from Sydney, but I don't know whether to add or to subtract. Sort of makes a difference which day it is. Any help out there?

Watch it virtually, by looking up the hands after the fact.
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2006-December-21, 14:51

inquiry, on Dec 21 2006, 09:42 PM, said:

I am interested in seeing this but I just cannot work out what time it will be on UK time.  We are 11 hours out from Sydney, but I don't know whether to add or to subtract.  Sort of makes a difference which day it is.  Any help out there?

I would miss out on any kibitzer chat.
Come to think of it ... great idea.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#8 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2006-December-21, 14:54

1eyedjack, on Dec 21 2006, 03:51 PM, said:

inquiry, on Dec 21 2006, 09:42 PM, said:

I am interested in seeing this but I just cannot work out what time it will be on UK time.  We are 11 hours out from Sydney, but I don't know whether to add or to subtract.  Sort of makes a difference which day it is.  Any help out there?

I would miss out on any kibitzer chat.
Come to think of it ... great idea.

Lol....

Well to be honest, if you are going to "watch" a moscito auction, having access to explainations of the auction might be very helpful.. I saw a 2D opening the other night on...

Qxxx
xxxxx
x
xxx

Not vul versus vul, alerted at "majors weak"... We thought it meand MAJORLY WEAK... lol....
--Ben--

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2006-December-21, 14:57

I suppose I could ask someone who watches it live to log the chat and message it to me. It means I could not contribute to the chat, which would be a welcome blessing to the public at large.

#10 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-December-21, 18:05

The Oz-One website has system cards or at least system summaries of all four pairs in the squad, three of whom are playing moscito in one form or another. Accordingly, for all Oz-One matches there will be at least one pair playing moscito.

For the match on Saturday night against Ireland, 8:00pm in Sydney is 9:00am in London and 4:00am in New York.

For the matches against Cayne, these have been pencilled in for Thursdays at 11:30am in Sydney which is 12:30am in London and Wednesday 7:30pm in New York (previous day).

These aren't vugraph matches per se, but can be found under "Click to Play or Watch Bridge" -> "Teams Matches".
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#11 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2006-December-22, 02:52

Setting matches with Australia is very tough so I think they did well to have one match that America can watch and one that Europe can watch.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#12 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-December-23, 09:17

I was trying to find the hand records for last night's match

Sartaj told me that the Aussies pulled it out in a sqeaker, but I can't find any hand records listed under any of the usual names.
Alderaan delenda est

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2006-December-23, 10:16

<snip>

#14 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2006-December-23, 12:58

Of the variations on the web site, I really like the Del'Monte - Demuy one, as seen here: ID-VD system

If I was tailoring it to me, I would make the following mods:

1) I would frequently upgrade to 15-17, so 1NT would be 14/15-17, and 17s balanced often are upgraded to the 1 opening;
2) With 6-4/5-5+ in the minors I would open 2 or 2;
3) That would leave the 1 opening as 11-14 balanced or 5-4/4-5 in the minors with 1-3/2-2/3-1 in the majors - this would allow frequent responses right to the final contract, such as 1-4, 1-3NT, 1-5, 1-3 etc.

Now that's a kick-bottom system imo.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#15 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-December-23, 13:16

As Dave mentions, three of the four Oz One pairs are using similar methods

Strong Club
Transfer Opening Bids (1 = Hearts, 1 = Spades, 1 = Diamonds)
1NT = 11+ - 14
2 = 6+ Clubs

However, there seem to be a lot of variations in the relay structures over the strong club and personal tweaks to the response structures.

So far, the system seems to be holding up well. The Aussies have been winning a good number of matches against strong competition. (Of course, this could simply mean that those insidious transfer openigns need to be banned.)

Paul really likes to tinker with the system. Most recently, he's been trying to improve the response structures over the transfer opening bids. He's using a mixture of transfer advances and relays.

Lets assume that I open 1 showing 4+ Hearts

1H = relay (game invite or natural 1NT response)
1S = natural and forcing
1N = transfer to clubs
2 = transfer to diamonds
2 = good reaise to 2
2 = weak raise to 2

Unfortunately, I don't have detailed notes describing the continuations
Alderaan delenda est

#16 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-December-23, 13:48

hrothgar, on Dec 23 2006, 07:16 PM, said:

Lets assume that I open 1 showing 4+ Hearts

1H = relay (game invite or natural 1NT response)
1S = natural and forcing
1N = transfer to clubs
2 = transfer to diamonds
2 = good reaise to 2
2 = weak raise to 2

Over a similar 1 opening in Echo club, we play:

1 = GF relay
1 = Nat, F1, <GF
1NT = Nat, NF
2 = Any INV, <4
2 = Limit (i.e. INV with 4)
2 = Bad raise

Am happy to share the continuations with anyone that's interested.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#17 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-December-23, 19:50

hrothgar, on Dec 23 2006, 10:17 AM, said:

I was trying to find the hand records for last night's match

Sartaj told me that the Aussies pulled it out in a sqeaker, but I can't find any hand records listed under any of the usual names.

It was 31-31 with a board to play when this wild hand came up:

Scoring: IMP

In the closed room Oz-One (Hans-Nunn) played in 5X-1. In the open room Garvey (sitting East for Ireland) never mentioned his 8-card suit and sold out to 4 which Aussie Vince Demuy brought home for a 9 imp gain to take the match 40-31 in front of about 250 kibitzers.

The LIN file should be (but isn't as I write this) on the Oz-One website shortly. In the meantime, board-by-board LINs are on the BBO site here.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#18 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-December-24, 15:17

Paul was kind enough to send me the latest set of system revisions. Its gonna take some time for me to figure out whats going on and a lot longer for me to decide whether or not I like them. However, here is the important stuff:

First, all balanced 11+ - 14 HCP hands get opened 1NT (including 5-4-2-2 patterns with both minors). Consequently, 1M openings are now unbalanced.

Second, MOSCITO is using transfer responses to the major suit openings. 1N = Clubs, 2 = Diamonds, 2 = Hearts. The transfers show (roughly) 7-11 HCP.

Third, a 1 relay over a 1 opening shows one of three different hand types

1. A natural, non-forcing NT response
2. Game invitational values with NT oriented hand or a heart fit
3. Any game force

Fourth, a 1 relay over a 1 opening shows one of three different hand types

1. A natural non-forcing 1NT response
2. Game invitational values with a NT oriented hand or a Spade fit
3. Any game force

Fifth, a 2 response to a 1 opening shows 5 and 4. (This is actually one of my little innovations, though I prefer using this to show 4+ / 4+ in the majors. Still, you saw it here first)
Alderaan delenda est

#19 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2006-December-24, 15:54

I like the transfer responses. They appear to be based on Magic Diamond ideas.
I suspect the relay/non relay responses might be subject to pre emption and take a bit of handling.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#20 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-December-27, 22:59

The Moscito team was playing against Cayne's team today starting around 5 pm PST. I was wondering if anyone managed to capture a .lin file for the match.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users