• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4.9.7 The new colors

#1 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-November-09, 10:42

With the new colors, a friend name who set the "BRB" is unreadable.

Otherwise less bright colors have their merits.

#2 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-09, 10:57

I like the new colors, but they seem a little inconsistent so far. E.g. in the kibitzer list at a table, friends are still shown in the old bright friends color.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#3 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2006-November-09, 10:59

These colors just do not appeal to me at all....it's like a Storm color scheme for Windows that went on acid and merges with the Rose VGA scheme.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#4 User is offline   david_c 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mathematics;<br>20th century classical music;<br>Composing.

Posted 2006-November-09, 11:24

I think it's OK, but I would miss the nice purple colour for friends.

Incidentally, it's a bit confusing to have the list of other colour schemes tucked away in "Useful Links and Information". Maybe these could be accessible through "options" instead? Also, if the default is being changed I think the "classic" BBO colour scheme needs to be added to the list of alternatives. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be any easy way to get it back!

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-09, 11:30

hotShot, on Nov 9 2006, 05:42 PM, said:

With the new colors, a friend name who set the "BRB" is unreadable.

Not just friends ... anyone who has 'brb' set is unreadable.

p
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   david_c 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-09, 11:41

Seems there's a small bug - when you ask it to "restore my colors" this doesn't restore the colour for "seekers".

#7 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2006-November-09, 11:44

you can edit the BRB forground (or background) color from the color tab. But I agree, the default is not readable and needs to be changed. Waht I like about the new color scheme is the new options ,,,, we can all customize to what we like.. want the old color for friends? change it back... :0)
--Ben--

#8 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-09, 12:03

inquiry, on Nov 9 2006, 07:44 PM, said:

you can edit the BRB forground (or background) color from the color tab. But I agree, the default is not readable and needs to be changed. Waht I like about the new color scheme is the new options ,,,, we can all customize to what we like.. want the old color for friends? change it back... :0)

Let me be devil's advocate here: Too many user interface options are generally a bad thing. It is a sign that the defaults are not good enough; but instead of the defaults getting improved, it allows the tiny minority of people who actually fiddle with the options to improve them for themselves. While the big majority like me won't take the time to change it; personally, it would take me far too long to create a color scheme that is as good and consistent as the one created by Fred or the artist.

(I also hate the "theme" mentality in many open source project.)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#9 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-09, 12:03

The "color schemes" area in "information links and information" will include links for BBO Defaults and Classic View Defaults (likely soon).

Looks like we will have to change the BRB color. Likely there will be other minor changes as well.

"Restore my colors" (both in Options dialog and in the "color schemes" menu) seems to be working properly for me (including the seeker color). Can you please describe how to replicate this bug?

Thanks for your feedback on this.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#10 User is offline   david_c 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-09, 12:15

fred, on Nov 9 2006, 07:03 PM, said:

"Restore my colors" (both in Options dialog and in the "color schemes" menu) seems to be working properly for me (including the seeker color). Can you please describe how to replicate this bug?

Well, when I log in it's brown. If I change to "color scheme 1" then it becomes green. Now if I "restore my colors" then everything changes back to how it was before except that seekers are still green. But then if I close BBO and start again it goes back to being brown.

I'm not quite sure how it came to be brown in the first place! (That's the colour in the new default scheme, which I did try for a bit, but everything else was changed back.)

#11 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-09, 12:21

david_c, on Nov 9 2006, 06:15 PM, said:

fred, on Nov 9 2006, 07:03 PM, said:

Well, when I log in it's brown. If I change to "color scheme 1" then it becomes green. Now if I "restore my colors" then everything changes back to how it was before except that seekers are still green. But then if I close BBO and start again it goes back to being brown.

I'm not quite sure how it came to be brown in the first place! (That's the colour in the new default scheme, which I did try for a bit, but everything else was changed back.)

Sorry but so far I can't seem to force it to happen. Investigating...

Let me know if you (or anyone else) gains any insight into this.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#12 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-09, 12:27

OK I figured it out - it was a bug (grrrr) - thanks.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2006-November-09, 16:14

I like the new colors, although I agree with the comments about the BRB color. The new default colors are more muted, less garish. However, in the chat area I'd prefer more contrast between the background and the text -- the bluish color used for player names is too light.

One complaint I have with both the old and new color schemes is in team games or VuGraphs -- the colors of the two teams aren't distinct enough. The difference is easily apparent where the team names are displayed right next to each other, but not different enough that it's easy to match them with the player name backgrounds.

#14 User is offline   sdoty 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-November-09, 22:48

barmar, on Nov 9 2006, 05:14 PM, said:

in the chat area I'd prefer more contrast between the background and the text -- the bluish color used for player names is too light.

One complaint I have with both the old and new color schemes is in team games or VuGraphs -- the colors of the two teams aren't distinct enough.

I completely agree.

Also, the super bright colors are still around on the screen that pops up at the completion of a loaded hand at a teaching table.

#15 User is offline   sfbp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-10, 00:13

Is there (or could there be) a canned file with all the old colours in it?

I could not get back the old friends colour for example.

Thanks

Stephen
Stephen Pickett
co-founder HomeBase Club, author of BRidgeBRowser

#16 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-10, 01:09

There is (will be) a canned file with the classic colors

#17 User is offline   Ant590 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-10, 04:34

I think the colours are better overall, but I echo some of the comments:

1) BRB has been discussed and I agree
2) Difference between team colours is not enough, and the 'active player' highlight is too close to one of the team colours
3) The maroon used for headings (e.g. in movie) is out of tone with the mellow new scheme and looks garish in comparison

However I think it is, in general, an improvement (as is the change to the star position in the lobby)

#18 User is offline   julie5607 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-10, 06:50

I use custom colors for one thing always - I find the bright yellow used for hosts, auction, and a bunch of other things to be distractingly bright so I always tone it down to a much more mellow yellow. BTW, as an aside, it is not always easy to figure out which control actually is in charge of a color, for example that bright yellow is used for the "chat" button at a table and it took me a bit of trial and error to find out that (I think) the "host" heading controls the color of that button.

The system remembers to apply my custom color when I log on and off, and even when I upgrade the software, but if I look in the custom color palatte it is never saved. Additionally, I cannot create and save more than one custom color - the palatte only seems to hold one even tho there are 16 supposedly available slots.

When I have played with your color palattes, including the new one (which I like overall but still believe needs some tweaking), if I choose "restore my colors" my custom color doesn't come back and I have to manually create it again and apply it in the right spots.

Just a small nit, nothing major, but hadn't seen anybody discuss this before so thought you would like to know.

Julie

#19 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-10, 09:23

julie5607, on Nov 10 2006, 12:50 PM, said:

I use custom colors for one thing always - I find the bright yellow used for hosts, auction, and a bunch of other things to be distractingly bright so I always tone it down to a much more mellow yellow. BTW, as an aside, it is not always easy to figure out which control actually is in charge of a color, for example that bright yellow is used for the "chat" button at a table and it took me a bit of trial and error to find out that (I think) the "host" heading controls the color of that button.

The system remembers to apply my custom color when I log on and off, and even when I upgrade the software, but if I look in the custom color palatte it is never saved. Additionally, I cannot create and save more than one custom color - the palatte only seems to hold one even tho there are 16 supposedly available slots.

When I have played with your color palattes, including the new one (which I like overall but still believe needs some tweaking), if I choose "restore my colors" my custom color doesn't come back and I have to manually create it again and apply it in the right spots.

Just a small nit, nothing major, but hadn't seen anybody discuss this before so thought you would like to know.

Julie

About only being able to create 1 custom color. This is a bug that will be fixed. Thanks for letting me know about this.

Saving your custom colors between logins is something I could do as well, but this is too big a change to consider at this point in time (sorry).

The bright yellow for the chat button at a table (which is not bright yellow in the new default color scheme) is controlled by the MOUSE_DOWN button.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#20 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-10, 09:45

sdoty, on Nov 10 2006, 04:48 AM, said:

Also, the super bright colors are still around on the screen that pops up at the completion of a loaded hand at a teaching table.

Sorry - I did not realize that the colors on these screens were set in stone (as opposed to being a function of the user's preferred colors). I will do something about this one day, but I am not going to get involved in this now.

I apologize if it seems like, despite all the new developments, that teachers are being ignored. Probably the time will come in which we make a new versions that has a lot of teacher-oriented improvements, but it is hard to say when.

Thanks for your patience.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users