BBO Discussion Forums: tornament scoring question - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

tornament scoring question

#1 User is offline   br_will 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-March-19, 15:11

looking at tournament results and it shows in the final result people have three markings -A,B,C- and they show a different final position in each one.

"A" obviously is where they finished in the tournament.
What is the B and C rankings indicate?

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-March-19, 16:11

Perhaps you are talking about a "flighted event". In such events, there are ranges of masterpoints players can choose to play in "flight A" or "Flight B" or "Flight C".  Maybe Flight C participants have no more than 25 masterpoints, maybe Flight B would be 300 or less points, and Flight A unlimited.

This way while all any player may sit at the same table with any other player, but they are really competing against other players in the field with the same skill level.  
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   easy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-March-19, 17:34

Perhaps you are talking about a "flighted event". In such events, there are ranges of masterpoints players can choose to play in "flight A" or "Flight B" or "Flight C".  Maybe Flight C participants have no more than 25 masterpoints, maybe Flight B would be 300 or less points, and Flight A unlimited.

This way while all any player may sit at the same table with any other player, but they are really competing against other players in the field with the same skill level.  

No Ben i think he's talking about a Stratified event. Statified events have become extremely popular because the field is divided into 3 strata, a , b and c.These strata at a regional event are typically >2000 = a, >500<2000 = b and all other =C.In this stratified event we play against all of the players of all levels and our performance is compared against all of the stratas
Lets say that im playing in strata c and i have a 62% game. First my score is compared against the c players and we find that my score is the highest in the c strata. I'm now entitled to .80 masterpoiint. Secondly my score is compared to the strata b players.We find that im also first in B, and the 1st place award in b is 2.00. We then compare my score to strata A and we find that im 4 in A and the masterpoint award is 2.4. The actual masterpoint award that i will receive is 2.4 the highest of the 3 awards i am entitled to.Therefore on an overall stratafied result sheet you mite see a player from a lower strata with 3 rankings. Such as
[fixed]
         A       B        C
Easy      4      1        1
[/fixed]
There r 2 major differences between a stratified event and a flighted event.
1)In the flighted event flites b and c never play against flite A. whereas in a stratified event you play against all levels of players and
2) in Flighted events your performance is compared against your flite only whereas in stratified your score is compared against all stratas.
This game never ceases to intrigue me!!

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-March-19, 22:52

Yes, I believe you are right Fred. I was trying to describe the stratified event, but late last night i couldn't grasp the right name.
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users