• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Someone make them stop!

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2006-June-30, 14:16

I used to be just mostly apathetic about soccer. The longer these horrible noises continue to pollute the environment here, the more I get to hate it.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   Sigi_BC84 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-June-30, 14:29

Germany is a very inconvenient location for people like you right now ;-).

--Sig

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-June-30, 16:28

What I really don't understand is this: even if soccer were more interesting than, say, volleyball (the only sport I have ever paid to see a game of), why is the interest in it so utterly disproportionally more? I mean, how many people in Germany even know who won the last Volleyball World Championship? (Well, I don't, but I do know who won the Bundesliga this year, at least.)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-June-30, 17:19

There is billions pouring into the German economy right now. Well worth a little short term agony.

But then again, I'm not there either.
"Phil" on BBO

#5 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-June-30, 17:29

mgoetze, on Jul 1 2006, 12:28 AM, said:

What I really don't understand is this: even if soccer were more interesting than, say, volleyball (the only sport I have ever paid to see a game of), why is the interest in it so utterly disproportionally more? I mean, how many people in Germany even know who won the last Volleyball World Championship? (Well, I don't, but I do know who won the Bundesliga this year, at least.)

a) Because football is infinitely more exciting to watch (I say that despite having played volleyball regularly, and appreciating to watch it)
:rolleyes: Because it's much more fun to watch a game when you are doing it together with everyone else. Heck, even my Dutch, Columbian, French, Iranian, Turkish ... friends started to get excited about the German team (yeah, my institute here is pretty international)
c) Because it's a lot of fun to watch a team that is doing a lot better than everyone expected, and playing a very attractive game as well.
d) because it's football

Any questions?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2006-June-30, 17:33

cherdano, on Jun 30 2006, 06:29 PM, said:

Any questions?

yes... why don't they widen the nets and play with 2 balls at the same time? now *that* might be exciting...
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-June-30, 17:39

cherdano, on Jul 1 2006, 12:29 AM, said:

a) Because football is infinitely more exciting to watch (I say that despite having played volleyball regularly, and appreciating to watch it)

Really... I think it's extremely boring to watch actually. A typical soccer game is 80 mins of nothing happens, 10 mins of "geez, how could he possibly miss that opportunity", and 3 mins of real good attacks, possibly with goals. Not necessarily in that order, unfortunately.

Sometimes I think the reason soccer is so popular here in Germany is that Germans love complaining. Of course, the referees in this World Cup are putting on a very good show for them. :rolleyes:

cherdano, on Jul 1 2006, 12:29 AM, said:

Any questions?

Will you continue to play bridge with me anyway? :)
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-July-01, 10:18

mgoetze, on Jul 1 2006, 01:39 AM, said:

I think it's extremely boring to watch actually. A typical soccer game is 80 mins of nothing happens, 10 mins of "geez, how could he possibly miss that opportunity", and 3 mins of real good attacks, possibly with goals.

That's why it's so popular. You don't have to devote you attention to the game but can concentrate on more leasuring things, like drinking beer, eating chips, complaining about the referee, discussing with other girls which player is more sexy, zapping between other shows etc.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2006-July-01, 11:59

There is no way to explain the great feelings you have in love, in sex ... or in football. You love it and feal... or you don´t :P .

I have no idea, why soccer is the most popular sport, but it just feals right.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#10 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-July-01, 13:35

Codo, on Jul 1 2006, 07:59 PM, said:

There is no way to explain the great feelings you have in love, in sex ... or in football. You love it and feal... or you don´t :P .

I have no idea, why soccer is the most popular sport, but it just feals right.

Maybe because the requiements to play football are far less demanding than those for volleyball (at least if you don't leave at the beach...).

#11 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2006-July-01, 14:11

mgoetze, on Jun 30 2006, 10:28 PM, said:

What I really don't understand is this: even if soccer were more interesting than, say, volleyball (the only sport I have ever paid to see a game of), why is the interest in it so utterly disproportionally more?

Desmond Morris, "The Soccer Tribe" (1981) ISBN: 022401935X

The masterpiece on football social analysis.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users