• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

any thoughts on this?

#21 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-June-15, 13:26

Societies that attempt to restrict and limit the rights of individuals and impede the access of the culturally diverse when they are there to invigorate and replenish the waning values of the ensconced , inbred and inept holders of power are just clearly on the decadent brink of collapse. EVERY society has fallen in the same way and the USA is no different.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#22 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-June-15, 14:39

I think a point is still being missed even though it has been stated. He doesn't say to people "You can't order in English? Go home I won't serve you." He says "You can't order in English? Let me show you how." Yes the policy is discriminatory, but presumably the owner has good intentions since in his view it is morally right that citizens of a country should learn the language of the country. I don't even care whether that view is 'true' or not. I just don't see getting all worked up over this.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#23 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2006-June-15, 18:34

as i said before, i think one has to understand the motives behind the actions... there is a *huge* debate going on over here right now, some even sincerely seeing the illegal alien problem as akin to an unarmed invasion... whether they are right or wrong, that's the way they see it... the vast majority of americans (latest poll showed 80+%) think that america is too lax on enforcing immigration laws... note we're talking about illegal immigrants only... they are, by definition, breaking the laws of our country and many are very upset over that... they see it as the officials choosing which laws to enforce and which to ignore

as a matter of fact, most legal immigrants have little sympathy for the illegals, since they (the legals) came to this country *wanting* to be americans, wanting to learn the laws and language and even the history... this man in philadelphia is obviously one of the 80+% who can't understand how or why people would want to come to this country to live and not want to make an effort to become 'americanized', at least to the extent of learning the language

as to the legalities, i'll leave that to those qualified in such matters
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#24 User is online   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-June-16, 16:07

Few quick comments:

1. There are a lot of folks out there on both sides of the political aisle who are making a lot of hay over debates about immigration. In this case, the owner of "Geno's" has doubtlessly generated enormous amount of free publicity. He may have also gotten a boost in business from conservatives who want to demonstrate their support for his position. All this by investing $1.50 in a small sign...

2. From my own perspective, I find the proprietor's behaviour appalling, however, I doubt that his decision is actionable. If Genos's were refusing to sell food to Blacks or Homosexuals the resturant could be sued under either the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act or federal non-discrimination statutes. (For example, the "Denny's" chain was sued for discriminating against black customers). However, its unclear whether non-English speakers could be considered a protected class.

Regardless of the technical merits of a legal case, I wouldn't applaud the man if he decided not to serve Blacks. I find his decision about non-English speakers equally distasteful.

3. Fights over immigration and English as an official language have been occuring for hundreds of years. I suspect that they'll occur for hundreds more. During this time, we've seen Know Nothings screaming about they dreadful danger that

Germans
Catholics
Jews
The Irish
Poles
Italians
Chinese
Laotians
Whatever

pose to the enlightened WASPS wha should be running this country. These days, the idiots seem to be in a tizzy over Spanish speakers. This too shall pass.
Alderaan delenda est

#25 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2006-June-16, 16:32

hrothgar, on Jun 16 2006, 05:07 PM, said:

2. From my own perspective, I find the proprietor's behaviour appalling, however, I doubt that his decision is actionable. If Genos's were refusing to sell food to Blacks or Homosexuals the resturant could be sued under either the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act or federal non-discrimination statutes. (For example, the "Denny's" chain was sued for discriminating against black customers). However, its unclear whether non-English speakers could be considered a protected class.

I disagree with you on this point. It seems pretty obvious his discrimination is aimed at Hispanics in particular, and I think a compelling legal argument could be made to that effect. At least that is surely the position his town is taking, that he is trying to find a loophole through which to discriminate based on race.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#26 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2006-June-16, 16:56

Everyone seems to skip around the main hypothesis:

Having a large non English speaking population will tear apart the country.

1) Of course technology may solve this problem with a universal translator.
2) Of course many might think tearing apart the country is a good thing.
3) I can think of alot more countries that tore apart over language and culture than stayed put together.

#27 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2006-June-16, 16:57

hrothgar, on Jun 16 2006, 05:07 PM, said:

These days, the idiots seem to be in a tizzy over Spanish speakers.  This too shall pass.

i heard a couple people discussing this on tv the other night, and it appeared to me that the language spoken is secondary... iow, the whole discussion focused on legal vs. illegal, period... it's true that the majority of illegal aliens are from south of the border, but that doesn't have anything to do with the issue of 'illegal immigration'...

if something is against the law, if if people can see that this law is not being enforced, it seems to undermine the whole process... either enforce the laws on the books else pardon them all carte blanche

Having a large non English speaking population will tear apart the country.

this seems to be the main difference between immigration today and that of the past... at one time, immigrants to this country wanted to become american, and went to great pains to learn all they could... now they just seem to want to come here, make money, send it home, and live better than they were living, without being encumbered by things such as income taxes, etc... of course, it really isn't their fault... i lay most of the blame at the feet of the ones making money off the immigrants... *they* should be punished somehow
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users