Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whoops...

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2006-May-26, 03:24

The biggest screw-up I've ever done in my entire life happened this morning.

Exam number 5/9 in my final year at university. I was convinced it was due to start at 2.30, but no. It started at 9.30, and assuming I had all day to revise, didn't go into the department until 9.45, with the obvious consequences.

My life is over.

#2 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-26, 03:39

wait till you get married and you will look back on this experience as something trivial :)

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2006-May-26, 03:42

sceptic, on May 26 2006, 09:39 AM, said:

wait till you get married and you will look back on this experience as something trivial :)

ahahaha!

#4 User is offline   mr1303 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2006-May-26, 04:18

Knowing me I'd probably assume my wedding was on another day....

#5 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-26, 07:25

Sorry to hear about that Mark. Was probably lucky in a sense that you made it in by 9.45 as you stand chances to have passed, even if you get a bad mark on the exam it won't be a 0. Definitely go talk to your personal tutor. They are much more understanding here in the UK than they are in the states.

After that, the main thing is to forget it and do the best you can on the rest of your exams. I imagine you can do poorly in one course and still do fine overall. Things have a way of working themselves out. Good luck on the rest of your exams.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-26, 10:58

Uh oh, that could have happened to me as well... But as we know the important part is to move on to the next hand after -1400.

Good luck with the rest!
Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2006-May-26, 12:36

As an encouragement, perhaps you did well after all. In law school, I accidentally scheduled myself for one course more than needed, that being "Local Government Law." I went anyway.

However, two weeks into the course, I was bored to tears. Not needing the credits, and not caring about my GPA (odd, perhaps), I quit attending.

Finals came around, and I decided to study up for the Local Government Law course anyway. I bought the "nutshell" notes book and read through 1/2 of the book until again being bored to tears. So, I quit reading.

I showed up at the final anyway, just for laughs. It was a three-hour exam, the last of the semester. About an hour into the essay exam, I grew bored. This time, I was also thirsty for some beer. So, I wrote down some silly answers to the rest of the questions and left with over half the time left (1.5 hours in).

It turned out that I received a C- for the course. Some failed, and some passed with lower scores somehow. But, I passed. I now am a lawyer.

There are several possible points worth noting here.

1. You might pass anyway.
2. It takes little to make it through law school, apparently.
3. Beer is more important than a good GPA.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#8 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-26, 12:44

Given that Mark arrived at university at 9:45 and posted here at 10:24 and 11:18, I doubt he did better than he expects.

Sorry to hear that Mark. As Arend said, "next board".

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2006-May-26, 14:42

Mark, I hope this doesn't mean you have failed the whole degree, in that case what I wrote must have sound pretty silly to you. Whatever the situation, I am sure echo knows what he is talking about when he says you should discuss things with your tutor.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#10 User is offline   mr1303 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-27, 14:32

Well, I had a meeting with the progress administrator. He says he "may" be able to get me a supplementary exam in September.

We'll have to wait and see. I won't be graduating this summer though :D

#11 User is offline   42 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Music, Tango Argentino, bridge, cooking, languages, etc. :)

Posted 2006-May-28, 02:38

Oh, I feel with you! My son lost 2 terms because he decided to sign for the necessary tests on early monday morning but the fixed time ended already on friday afternoon.
My experience is that "katastrophies" (and there were some in my life) had also their good side and some sense. Hard to believe right now, sounds like a fatalistic statement, I know...
A big hug!
Caren
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho Marx)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users