BBO Discussion Forums: CAD hardware stuff - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CAD hardware stuff

#1 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2006-May-12, 10:05

Got someone that is going to be doing CAD work at home. Even though they want a laptop I'm persuading them to do a desktop setup instead.

I've been given carte blanche to custom built their PC. What motherboard/cpu/gpu combination is best? I already have the other items thought of (however, I will take suggestions).

I'm leaning towards at least an FX-60 chip with 4Gb of Ram and either a x1900 or a 7800 video card (ATI and nVidia).
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-May-12, 10:13

Comment 1: System requirements will very much be a function of the amount of simulation work that they plan to do. The expression "CAD" coers a lot of ground. I've seen relatively simple home achitecture systems described as a CAD application. I've also seen VERY intense modelled for injection moldings and the like. Without more information, its hard to make a valid recommendation.

Comment 2: The FX-60 is a dual core AMD processor. I'm a big fan of the company. I also like dual core designs for power users. I don't know anything specific about the processor itself, but its probably a good choice. With this said and done, i'm a cheap bastard. I normally prefer to purchase a couple generations past the bleeding edge.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2006-May-12, 10:28

Richard,

If this helps: Specifically the CAD applications will be for civil engineering applications.

I think I'm going to use an ASUS M-Board if I can find one that will support 4GB of DDR2 RAM with Socket 939 specs. That, and the pesky video card....choices, choices.

The HD I'd like to use SCSI, but I'm probably going towards SATA and/or RAID type setup.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#4 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2006-May-12, 10:57

Without wishing to denigrate Richard's expertise, isn't a PC hardware forum likely to be more helpful?

#5 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-12, 12:27

I don't think that with 4GB RAM SCSI or RAID is neccessary.If you take 2 SATA disks one for the system and programm and one for the data that should be good enough.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users