BBO Discussion Forums: Tango - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tango addicted to a dance...

#1 User is offline   42 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Music, Tango Argentino, bridge, cooking, languages, etc. :)

Posted 2006-May-11, 07:34

My avatar already says a lot: I am addicted to tango. I wanted to learn it since many years but this and that came in between, I then had a first glance at university where I work and therefore can participate in low-cost (to zero) courses. Some months ago I decided to go to a tango school in town, and that changes my whole life as it seems. It is great fun but also kind of hard work: to control the body whilst dancing in an elegant and easy looking way as well as the interaction with a partner and sometimes the other people on the dance floor (it is an absolute no-no to trample upon anybody else's feet or to bump against another pair, obviously...), all this according to the wonderful music. The aspects of knowing the technics and interaction with a partner are the same in bridge.
Tango becomes an undescribable experience when the body knows what to do because the music and a slight "sign" from partner makes it a logical and natural movement, you are ready to dream a wordless dream, things are just ok right now and here. Sure, to reach that, it needs a lot of practising :unsure: Those moments occur at my level not yet often LOL

Why do I think I am addicted? There are many signs:
shoes: one of the first activities was to buy comfortable (and beautiful) dancing shoes. I like to wear more often high-heels but must admit that mocassins are much more comfortable... And I would not mind to buy some more pairs of wonderful dancing shoes
clothings: the style changes. Usually I wear jeans and a t-shirt, ready. Now the rate of wearing a skirt or a frock increases significantly. Preferred colours are red and black, perhaps white. The makeup and the hairstyle also changes.
friends and family: some just don't understand what is going on. It is hard to explain what tango is like and why it is fascinating. Most heard about it; it usually has a special touch for them. They ask: "What does your husband say when you go alone to TANGO?" (can someone keep another one anway from what that person really wants to do? There are only 2 possibilities imo: to accompany or to say nothing...) When they want an appointment, it now goes this way: "Hm, let me think.... monday taiji, tuesday tango, wednesday tango, thursday choir, friday tango, weekend perhaps a workshop (milonga or tango).... I'll call you when I have time, ok?"
bridge: it was my passion over years. I start to loose a bit interest. When I have a choice to dance or to play bridge, I choose tango...
house: the big room in the cellar is a dance floor, I have already a lot of tango-music
internet: the sites are more and more related to tango; new nicknames have to do with tango
even the broom becomes a dance partner
plans: which town might be nice for a tango festival visit? Will I miss lessons / a workshop when I go to a tourney on the xx.yy.200x?

To be continued......

Luis, do you dance tango? :)
Caren
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho Marx)

#2 User is offline   Sigi_BC84 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-11, 07:40

Maybe I may add that Caren is talking about Tango Argentino specifically, which is very different from classic ballroom Tango. The music is different as well, although you can dance both dances to certain songs.

The music is great (Gotan Project from Paris have become popular outside of Tango circles, very recommended).

--Sigi

#3 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-May-11, 08:01

I don't dance Tango but if you love Tango then you should have a visit to Argentina in your schedule.
My wife parents don't dance but love Tango shows and spectacles, we have a zillion places where you can dance or watch or listen to Tango.
So if you decide to visit Tango-Land let me know and we can play some bridge too :-)

Luis
The legend of the black octogon.

#4 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-11, 08:04

I took Argentinian Tango lessons over the course of a year and found it to be the most frustrating experience of my life. Being reasonably athletic and well coordinated, I became flustered and ill-at-ease at almost every turn. Quite the disappointment for me but quite the relief for my erstwhile partners.....I really envy those that can master this art form but unfortunately it was not to be one of the feathers in my cap :unsure:
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#5 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-11, 15:44

I've also had about a year of classes and I've been to some dances. I enjoyed it, but I find it incomparable to the thrills that bridge has to offer. For each his (or her, Caren) own...
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#6 User is offline   42 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, Tango Argentino, bridge, cooking, languages, etc. :)

Posted 2006-May-11, 16:28

Hannie, on May 11 2006, 11:44 PM, said:

.....*snip*...but I find it incomparable to the thrills that bridge has to offer.

So much brain work in bridge B)
I prefer an embrace to a tenace, an ocho to a nine, squeezing a (wo)man instead of squeezing dummy, to dance the sandwich rather than to bid in....
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho Marx)

#7 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2006-May-11, 17:33

42, on May 11 2006, 02:34 PM, said:

the broom becomes a dance partner

When I was young my mum would say: Du danser som et kosteskaft" (You dance like a broomstick).

Was that a compliment? B)

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#8 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2006-May-12, 08:26

42, on May 11 2006, 10:28 PM, said:

Hannie, on May 11 2006, 11:44 PM, said:

.....*snip*...but I find it incomparable to the thrills that bridge has to offer.

So much brain work in bridge ;)
I prefer an embrace to a tenace, an ocho to a nine, squeezing a (wo)man instead of squeezing dummy, to dance the sandwich rather than to bid in....

... and crossing a step than crossing to dummy, supporting partner with arms and shoulders rather than with three cards (without a honor), inviting to dance than inviting to game, leading a lady than leading a Queen...

Always with finesse :D
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users