Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

United 93

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-April-28, 13:20

Just saw the movie United 93. A very powerful and well made movie. I strongly recommend it. What lingers with me is the chaos and lack of communication that morning. Good movie for non-Americans to see to understand what emotions drive our Foreign Policy for better or worse.

#2 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-28, 13:25

I'll be curious to see it. I'm particularly interested if the Hollywood left tried to make the terrorists look more like 'freedom fighters' or if any revisionism occured.
"Phil" on BBO

#3 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2006-April-28, 13:36

Really interested in this movie. I don't care about any kind of politics or deeper meaning, but catching a glimpse into what these people were thinking and feeling at the time and how they had the courage to do what they did will be interesting. Obviously it will be distorted since it's a movie, but it will still be interesting to me.

#4 User is offline   joshs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-28, 15:42

Jlall, on Apr 28 2006, 02:36 PM, said:

Really interested in this movie. I don't care about any kind of politics or deeper meaning, but catching a glimpse into what these people were thinking and feeling at the time and how they had the courage to do what they did will be interesting. Obviously it will be distorted since it's a movie, but it will still be interesting to me.

Did anyone actually survive to tell the tale? I didn't think so, but I can't actually remember. If no one survived it will be more than distorted - it will be fiction.... But I hear it was very well done. :P

#5 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2006-April-28, 16:01

They had cell phones.

#6 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2006-April-28, 17:11

I would very much want to watch it too. Sadly, it will take 6 months to reach continental Europe, I've been told. Likely it will arrive in London sooner than that, so maybe I get the chance a little sooner.

As far as I recall, no-one survived the tragedy. So fiction it is, except for the mobile phone recordings as Justin points out.

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#7 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2006-April-28, 17:25

pclayton, on Apr 28 2006, 02:25 PM, said:

I'll be curious to see it. I'm particularly interested if the Hollywood left tried to make the terrorists look more like 'freedom fighters' or if any revisionism occured.

i agree, and i doubt they gave even a hint of sympathy for the terrorists... even if i wasn't planning on watching it, i will now based on mike's recommendation (he's been right in his bridge book plugs :P)
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#8 User is offline   42 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Music, Tango Argentino, bridge, cooking, languages, etc. :)

Posted 2006-April-29, 07:45

I won't watch that movie. First of all I strongly dislike the commercial background.
And what can we learn (not that I only watch movies with a moral!!!)? Suppose you are in an extremely dangerous situation which might take place everywhere: some have the strategy to become motionless, other just do something which has the big advantage that one doesn't think too much about what will happen soon. It appears to me that we shall look up to heroes who defended the evil. It is not even clear that the passengers wanted to defend America because they already had the oversight of the whole matter of terrorism and how much it wounded America and the Western civilization, I think the shirt is closer than the trouser. Here it is pretended to tell the truth about the last hour, but it is only a reconstruction, using some puzzlepieces, or?
Another point is that I don't like any kind of voyeurism. It is clear that such a situation is extremely bad, noone wants to come into. Why should I watch? I have my personal moralistic principles, they will not change because I saw such kind of movie. And I don't need it neither to overcome my fears or come near to emotions, nor to understand better political strategies. It might be an exciting story but.... no.
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho Marx)

#9 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-29, 10:04

Well, we know this.

4 planes were hijacked and 3 hit their targets. Flt 93 crashed in W. Pennsylvania. This occurred after the passengers talked on their cell phones and heard about the twin towers being hit.

Several of the passengers told people on their cells that they needed to do something.

Seems a good backbone to a story for me.
"Phil" on BBO

#10 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-29, 11:33

I won't watch this, just because it obviously has a very sad ending. Where's Disney?
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users