• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

famous people sightings

#1 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-April-29, 12:12

Anyone have any good famous people sightings recently?

Sinbad (the comedian, not the cartoon!) has gone to the same gym that I go to for over a year now, which doesn't excite me very much, and in the context of living in Los Angeles isn't so noteworthy. But yesterday I flew to Las Vegas to visit some family, and Howard Lederer, poker pro extraordinaire, was on my plane! I was quite excited :lol:
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#2 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-29, 12:30

My wife saw the mom from "Smallville" (TV series on WB) on the subway yesterday, if that counts.

#3 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-29, 12:43

Sinbad???? Roflmao. He should be posting on the 'washed up hollywood actors' blog that he goes to the gym with that star junior bridge player Josh Donn.

Haven't seen anyone recently, although I saw Kobe at Morton's in Newport Beach last year.
"Phil" on BBO

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-April-29, 12:58

I sat next to Drew Bledsco on a cross country plane flight.
I didn't recognize him until I got asked "what it was like" after I got of the flight.

I imagine that 5 hours of anonymity was a welcome relief for Mr Bledsco.
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   DrTodd13 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-29, 13:39

My pathetic list of celebrities sightings:

1. Leslie Nielson
2. Donny Most (red-head from happy days)
3. Spanky (fat kid from "Our Gang")
4. The short psychic woman from the original Poltergeist movie

#6 User is offline   42 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Music, Tango Argentino, bridge, cooking, languages, etc. :)

Posted 2006-April-29, 13:50

When we played the league some weeks ago, Herman van Veen, one of my favourite artists (singer, music-clown, violin player, etc., etc.) from the Netherlands sat at the table next to ours at breakfast. We watched each other but tired and into bridge as I was I recognized only after some minutes who I was flirting with, too late and embarrassing to change the table ;) They had given a concert the night before; I should have been going to listen instead of sweating over the hands :lol: I go to his concerts since -ehm- more than 20 years whenever he is next to or in my hometown, last autumn I went one day and the following :lol:
Later, waiting for the elevator, I talked with the terrific guitar player. She asked what we were doing, she was sure it had to do with bridge. Amazing, or?
That story will not impress many of you, I fear, but I was...
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho Marx)

#7 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-29, 20:46

You are talking about THE Herman van Veen? Wow! :(
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#8 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2006-April-29, 20:55

i was more impressed that caren was flirting at *breakfast* :( ... i can't recall ever being flirted with at that particular meal (ok ok, or any other)
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#9 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-30, 00:33

Living in LA (I'm only going to recount the times when I've actually interacted with them, as opposed to spotting them):

a. I went to school, and worked at UCLA volleyball games with John Lithgow's kid. John was really nice.

b. Through UCLA volleyball (and women's basketball) I've met many of the stars of those sports, including: Lisa Leslie, Janet Evans, Kevin Wong, Jenny Johnson, Holly McPeak, Jeff Nygard, Stan Metzger, Mark Williams (I went to high school with him) and others.

c. I met Dean Cain (Superman from "Lois and Clark") and Gabrielle Reese (model, volleyball player, and doing commercials about men's health for Spike TV now) at a game. They were really nice.

d. Army Archerd (old school "Variety" columnist) has played bridge in a game I directed.

e. I've had incidents with Geraldo Rivera's wife at my bridge club. We get along ok now, though.

f. The house I grew up in was built for Loretta Young's mother, and Rita Hayworth used to live in it.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#10 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2006-April-30, 01:54

I saw Hamman, Bramley, and Compton at work yesterday.

#11 User is offline   42 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, Tango Argentino, bridge, cooking, languages, etc. :)

Posted 2006-April-30, 03:31

luke warm, on Apr 30 2006, 04:55 AM, said:

i was more impressed that caren was flirting at *breakfast*  :)  ... i can't recall ever being flirted with at that particular meal (ok ok, or any other)

I admit that it usually takes at least 2 big cups of coffee before I am able to do anything in the morning, but a few things work always :)

Near to my hometown on the countryside we have 2 bigger music festivals every year, 1 for classic (Schleswig-Holstein Musik Festival) and 1 for Jazz (Jazz Baltica). Besides the concerts one can go and listen to the auditions or jam sessions after a concert. It is a very familiar atmosphere. 2 years ago we did that when Nigel Kennedy was there. We met him on our way to the car and he was VERY nice and talkative.

When I was very young I was babysitting my nephews. The telefone rang and I was talking to the acting Bundeskanzler (my sister-in-law was married to an important journalist). That was kind of a shock :(
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho Marx)

#12 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-30, 08:54

I was at the world infividual championships in Verona in 2004. One evening, I am on the hotel computer (ye ye I have no life). This was the official hotel, VERY posh (I wasnt staying at it). Everyone there is middle aged, wearing a suit, checking the time on thier rolex etc. Then these 4 young guys come up to me. They were mid 20s. They were dressed very casually, and just seemed like lads on a night out. It was most strange. They asked me something in Italian, I requested English and one of them asked me the way to a bar. I had no idea. I thought nothing more of this bizarre encounter, until in turned out that the Inter Milan team were staying in the hotel ahead of their game on Sunday! So the next morning I was in the lobby with Edgar Davids, Juan Sebastien Veron etc. as well as Fred Gitelman, Zia Mahmood et al!

#13 User is offline   Sigi_BC84 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-30, 16:08

A few years ago I was on a bus in downtown Sydney to go to UTS to hear an interview with once-famous writer/director Paul Schrader. On the way I saw John Travolta pleasing the crowd before the Australian premiere of "Swordfish". My reaction was quite jaded but two girls behind me went "John Travolta Oh My God" and got off the bus right away. I was much more interested in seeing Schrader so couldn't care less ;-).

If the city where I'm living had someone like Travolta visiting it would be on the front page of the regional newspaper.

--Sigi

#14 User is offline   joshs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-01, 10:17

Jlall, on Apr 30 2006, 02:54 AM, said:

I saw Hamman, Bramley, and Compton at work yesterday.

I once met the one and only Justin Lall!

#15 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2006-May-02, 13:49

Having missed an opportunity in 1969, in 1996 I met and chatted with the former PM of Canada, Pierre Elliot Trudeau. He was lucid, attentive and even interested in the conversation concerning the value of multiculturalism as a means of invigorating and ensuring the survival of national society.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#16 User is offline   LDSdanny 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, literature, pistol-shooting, fountain-pen collecting, running and weightlifting

Posted 2006-May-06, 12:05

Hello all - I am a newbie here.
I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan, so, I meet the actor Jeff Daniels at various places in town. he is a real nice guy, does not behave like a celebrity at all. Once in a while, he also does his singer-songwriter act at a local music club called The Ark.
I used to manage a guitar store, so I have met musicians like Steve Earle, Bela Fleck, Trey Anastasio, and Aimee Mann.
'nuff name dropping for today. :)

Have a great weekend, y'all!!! :):)
"If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users