BBO Discussion Forums: Watercooler dispensing only hot water - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Watercooler dispensing only hot water and it burns, it burns

Poll: Should we shut down the watercooler? (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we shut down the watercooler?

1. Don't care (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Yes it is too heated (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

3. Yes stick to bridge (11 votes [19.64%])

Percentage of vote: 19.64%

4. No we're all grown ups here (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

5. No but shut down flame wars as they happen (20 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

6. STFU (6 votes [10.71%])

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-April-14, 10:52

I'm one of the owners of BBO, along w/Fred G and Sheri W.

The watercooler is a discussion board for non-bridge discussions.

In my opinion ( and your opinion may of course differ ) overly heated discussions about things that have no answer (here) are a bad thing.

I don't think I want to host something that leads to something that is mostly counterproductive.

#2 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2006-April-14, 10:55

what do you consider to be a flame war? in any case, i voted for the one that said something about 'grown ups' (tho the word "usually" might should have been in there ;))
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#3 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2006-April-14, 11:05

I don't think discussing somewhat controversial matters, or issues where everyone has different opinions, or raising personal opinions about well known people constitutes a flame war.

Isn't a flame war when you bash someone or other for no good reason?

I voted for the grown up thing too. And anyway, I'd rather BBOers choose to spend time here, rather than anywhere else.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-14, 11:08

I am also disappointed by the discussions here. I would prefer if we could just all agree to keep the politics out here, since these threads just don't lead to fruitful discussions.

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-April-14, 11:31

As I've noted earlier, I'd prefer if the poltical / religious discussions were shut down.
Whats the old saying? "Ignorance is bliss..."
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-14, 11:41

Maybe we should redefine the Water Cooler as a place for BBO players to know each other better, not as a discussion forum about anything.

Luis
The legend of the black octogon.

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2006-April-14, 11:45

luis, on Apr 14 2006, 07:41 PM, said:

Maybe we should redefine the Water Cooler as a place for BBO players to know each other better, not as a discussion forum about anything.

In fact, that's how it worked in the beginning, and I liked it.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   Mr. Dodgy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge (duh), mathematics, Information Technology, fantasy fiction and role-playing games, flirting with girls, eight-ball pool and snooker, dancing, drinking, The Simpsons, House, Futurama, The X-Files...

Posted 2006-April-14, 11:50

As I recall there was always a section of the BridgeBase forums for such 'off-topic' (non-bridge) matters. I think the Water Cooler has backfired, bringing these posts more attention rather than removing them from the bridge-related discussions.

I suspect that some bad blood from the Cooler has unfortunately spilled over into the bridge threads. Recently somewhat snippish comments have appeared in the bridge threads more frequently, imo.

I voted 'no but shut down the flame wars' - although here these actually seem to be relatively uncommon and less warlike (admittedly I usually steer clear of the political debates here) than might be the case elsewhere and I feel the administrators of these forums have always acted very professionally and reasonably in their moderation of all threads - though the Cooler may be testing ground for them to tread.

I do find it quite interesting to read what the people I have came to 'know' through the bridge articles think about other matters. As I have stated elsewhere, there are some very astute persons making such contributions, and it would be a shame to see the utterly fascinating 'universe is a torus' discussions terminated summarily even if I didn't understand a word of it.

I guess I would like to have the Cooler topics eliminated from the results of searches as an option for users. I often use the 'today's active topics' search and the Cooler articles feature rather too prominently for my tastes - I AM here primarily for the cards, after all.

#9 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-14, 11:50

"In my opinion ( and your opinion may of course differ ) overly heated discussions about things that have no answer (here) are a bad thing. "

Shut down anything you like, it's your site, but I would prefer to leave things as is.

My only objection to the above is that very few bridge or non-bridge threads ever have an "answer (here)".

Flannery, anyone? :P

Peter

#10 User is offline   csdenmark 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-14, 11:56

I also voted for grown up persons. I have enjoyed to learn to know people for something of more important than bid-sequences.

I would like to see more contributions from persons outside USA. Too much seems to have a bias regarding blaming/defending USA. Language is a part of that problem I think.

Water Cooler is an important opportunity to be able to understand different cultures voiced by ordinary persons instead of only politicians quoted in newspapers.

#11 User is offline   Limey_p 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-14, 12:04

Non bridge discussion is fine, but the old advice for avoiding fights in bar rooms should apply:

Don't discuss religion, politics or sex.

AP

#12 User is offline   Sigi_BC84 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-14, 12:12

pbleighton, on Apr 14 2006, 06:50 PM, said:

"In my opinion ( and your opinion may of course differ ) overly heated discussions about things that have no answer (here) are a bad thing. "

Shut down anything you like, it's your site, but I would prefer to leave things as is.

I second that. If you feel uncomfortable with the "seriousness" of some of the threads here and fear that it might hurt the forums as a whole or BBO in particular, close the Water Cooler.

To me that would be regrettable as I really enjoyed reading what's going on in the minds of the people here apart from bridge. As Claus already said: discussing bidding sequences for the 101st time can get a bit boring.

If things get ugly, show the yellow card or shut down threads.

But to be honest, I think we've seen quite a lot of opportunities already for things to get out of hand and it hasn't happened so far (apart from a few ugly post in the "worst inventions" thread).

--Sigi

#13 User is offline   Badmonster 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-14, 12:15

I agree with the Limey about the religion and politics but disagree about the sex.

I voted for shutting down the flame wars. There's nothing that says that people cannot discuss these hot topics in private messages or chat rooms or while playing bridge assuming you set up your table with that goal in mind. I think there is a problem though when the posts make people unhappy. Of course you could argue that if it makes you unhappy you could opt not to read, but you don't always know that what you're going to read is going to be so volitile. Like you'd think favorite conspiracy theories would be pretty light hearted and silly, but it's not really.
http://badmonsters.blogspot.com probably will not change your life.

#14 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2006-April-14, 12:37

I don't mind lobbing flames back and forth, as long as it stays above board.

Here's what I would suggest:

Personal attacks, attacks on one's ethnicity, gender, sexual preference, or race are totally off limits. Attacks on other countries (I won't mention any names.....CLAUS) their citizens, their policies and their leaders are also off limits.

In other words, I can bag on George Bush (who I used to like but don't now), I can rail against the US stance on the death penalty (which I don't support) or abortion (which I also don't support) but other citizens of the world can't.

OTOH, I can't bitch about Danish cartooning, French employment laws or hate crimes in Bosnia - Herzogovenia. I also can't enter the debate on some meaningless little island that Canada and Denmark are contesting :P.

Somehow, I really get tired of my (especially Eurpopean) friends around here going off on the US, yet its wrong when an Ugly American criticizes other countries. A clear double standard.

Uday, if BBF posters can't agree on the content, you have my vote for turning off the H2O.
"Phil" on BBO

#15 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2006-April-14, 12:37

i'm just not quite sure what a flame war is... if it's personal attacks, yes i'd agree to shut that down
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#16 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-14, 12:48

I think that they are not what Bridgebase designed it for, I think there are plenty of other places to take some of these discussions, personally I don't care if you shut it down, but I can see issues cropping up ( there is already bad feeling or sniping amongst some of the posters), I think it has gone down hill (and I am a participant in these discussions and I probably help along with everyone else)

politics, religion are endless in their discussions, no two people everyagree on everything so debate or arguements ensue. I think ban politics and religion, I have been married to long, I only discuss sex now anyway, I am waiting for that particular thread to be opened.

leaving it up, things will only get worse, threads never get better

#17 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-14, 12:54

If things get ugly, show the yellow card or shut down threads

Hi sigi

The only thing I don't like about that statement is that then means more work for the moderators and that is not fair on them, they probably have a life and time that could be used more productively

#18 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2006-April-14, 13:21

I voted shut it down. I think trying to prevent flame wars by setting limits on what people can say will not work and only create more dissention.

I’d rather Uday spent his time enhancing BBO (Tournament functions) than moderating a forum. :P

jb

#19 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2006-April-14, 15:28

but jilly kat, rain moderates this forum not uday... ben moderates some, coyoto, beky, jjsb others, etc

it seems pretty easy not to read something to me, or at least not to respond

#20 User is offline   csdenmark 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-14, 16:00

I see Water Cooler as an attempt to create some sort of local cafe´ in a global village. Not so easy I think and I don't like what I see to restrict this and that.

What do human beings talk about when they meet each other? Children, economy, job, weather, politic. Thats is the same kind of topics I would like to see here and those I try also to discuss at bridgetable.

Most topics in Water Cooler until now reflects in no way the agenda in Europe. What is important here is Maastricht treaty, unemployment for youngsters in France, parliament elections in Italy, flooding in Eastern Europe, mostly River of Elben, immigration and integration, ETA, Turkye in EU. But discussions cannot reflect such as those engaged in such kind of topics don't speak english. Therefore we need, at least for a start, exchange views on topics in which we have some points of mutual interest and knowledge. Cannot be in any other way.

That is not flame wars - that is international understanding - bridgebuilding.

We need more of that, we need tools for translation, we need human beings with knowledge and understanding of a complex world. Water Cooler is one way. Nobody is forced to engage but all have their free choice. Bridgeplayers are assumed to be intellectual persons with potential.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users